Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 28, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #3,917 of 7,191
MustDid anyone try out the EQ presets from audeze? Some feedback would be appreciated. I'm hoping for an all in one that works with most gaming genres, I'm usually into Action adventures/ RPGs.

From limited testing, Warm is too warm for me but Footsteps was good for the FPS gaming I do. I can’t easily change Eq on the fly as I don’t have an Android device so have settled on something in between Footsteps and Flat so that immersive games and music aren’t impacted.

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #3,918 of 7,191
Hey all, I got my Penrose's last week and they've been working fine with the USB dongle plugged into the front of my PS5. When I went to use them last night though, they started sounding absolutely terrible with static/crackling and popping taking over. I'm not sure what has happened to them and nothing has changed in terms of my wifi connections around the house causing any interference etc. I've also done all the troubleshooting as suggested on the Audeze website. The headset otherwise works fine in Bluetooth and AUX mode. Could it be I have a faulty wireless dongle maybe? Video:

I have the exact same whenever I am on the sides of the PS5. As long as I am in a straight line (sitting on the sofa for example) the connection is fine, but when I go sit in my racing chair, on the right of the PS5, the connection becomes horrendous. :sweat:

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #3,919 of 7,191
For now I've decided to keep these, as the current issues/features don't really affect me. That said, I noticed yesterday that when I shake my head a bit with the headset on, I hear something rattling inside the left ear cup?? Anybody else who has this problem? Doesn't seem quite right... wonder if it's related to the fact that the mute button doesn't work when I'm on wireless (but it does when I'm connected through USB).

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #3,922 of 7,191
Any suggested battery charging practices with the Penrose? I fear that constant charging whenever I’m not using them with decrease longevity.

Or should we just always keep a full charge just in case, and replace the battery when required?

An aside: will charging speed via USB-C via power adapter (with multiple sockets, and while using a MacBook Pro USB-C charger in my case) be the same as charging from a wall socket?

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #3,923 of 7,191
Hey all, I got my Penrose's last week and they've been working fine with the USB dongle plugged into the front of my PS5. When I went to use them last night though, they started sounding absolutely terrible with static/crackling and popping taking over. I'm not sure what has happened to them and nothing has changed in terms of my wifi connections around the house causing any interference etc. I've also done all the troubleshooting as suggested on the Audeze website. The headset otherwise works fine in Bluetooth and AUX mode. Could it be I have a faulty wireless dongle maybe? Video:

I hope Audeze will reply about this issue that several of us are having.

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #3,924 of 7,191
Any suggested battery charging practices with the Penrose? I fear that constant charging whenever I’m not using them with decrease longevity.

Or should we just always keep a full charge just in case, and replace the battery when required?

An aside: will charging speed via USB-C via power adapter (with multiple sockets, and while using a MacBook Pro USB-C charger in my case) be the same as charging from a wall socket?
Seeing as there's no way of telling what level the battery is at, I've set my PS5 to provide power to the USB for 3 hours and plug the headset in after every session, they stop charging once full (can also plug them into my pc which charges while off and the charging indicator turns off after a while when plugged in this way).

If I didn't keep them topped up I'd definitely run out mid session at least once.

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #3,925 of 7,191
From limited testing, Warm is too warm for me but Footsteps was good for the FPS gaming I do. I can’t easily change Eq on the fly as I don’t have an Android device so have settled on something in between Footsteps and Flat so that immersive games and music aren’t impacted.

I haven't messed with the EQ much yet, as until we get wireless config of it i wasn't planning to because like you i think i'd like to swap between Footsteps and Neutral for music. Are custom profiles such as the middle ground one you mentioned setting up shareable?

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #3,926 of 7,191

this is exactly happening now on my penrose plugged in PC.

for me it does this only when Bluetooth and wireless are playing audio at the same time...i was making a WIFI call on iphone and to end this issue i need to end the call then call back every 10 min.

support ticket team are saying they cannot re-produce it at their facility and will look into it. hope its a firmware fix...before the FW update it was like this all the time and i cloud not use Bluetooth with this static....now less but its there.

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #3,927 of 7,191
Maybe I’m missing something again but my penrose x seem to work fine with my Mac mini.
Others are saying the X works fine with PlayStation too. So what is the actual difference between them? Has anyone tried the regular penrose on a pc or Xbox?

Attachments

• 3EA6EE40-2410-4BA7-9FD4-BDCC99A852EA.jpeg
    3EA6EE40-2410-4BA7-9FD4-BDCC99A852EA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #3,928 of 7,191
Maybe I’m missing something again but my penrose x seem to work fine with my Mac mini.
Others are saying the X works fine with PlayStation too. So what is the actual difference between them? Has anyone tried the regular penrose on a pc or Xbox?

The regular penrose does work on pc. The difference with the x is that specifically has the special chip for Xbox certification and the dongle has a slider you can toggle between Xbox and pc mode. Pc mode works for PlayStation. The normal penrose marketed for PlayStation lacks that capability and won’t work on Xbox.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #3,929 of 7,191
Any updates on when the Mac app will be available? I’m still experiencing a fair amount of connection issues and crackling on my PS5. I’m hopeful that these things can be addressed through future firmware updates, but I don’t know if I can wait past my return window solely based on the Penrose’s potential. It’s unfortunate because, on paper, the Penrose is everything I’m looking for in a headset, but my experience so far has been that they seem really half-baked.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #3,930 of 7,191
The regular penrose does work on pc. The difference with the x is that specifically has the special chip for Xbox certification and the dongle has a slider you can toggle between Xbox and pc mode. Pc mode works for PlayStation. The normal penrose marketed for PlayStation lacks that capability and won’t work on Xbox.

So my question is why have two versions?

If the penrose x works with PC, Xbox, Mac, and PlayStation.

They could have had one that works with everything.
There must be something else then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back