Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 26, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #3,841 of 7,191
So apparently there’s another big thing I missed. They can’t play audio though the USB cable? What?

Yea I’m kinda regretting the purchase at this point. I patiently waited since July for these. The Mobius is definitely a better headphone for all around use.

Mobius is terrible for wireless gaming. That said, I do agree that there were some areas where holding off for a later release to address some shortcomings would have really made for a much better launch and initial product. Audeze committed to taking orders a tad too early though and couldn’t put the genie back in the bottle. I know a lot of those were design decisions to get advertised features available now, but in the scope of being a “gaming product” were a bit of a head scratcher. That said, I enjoy my Penrose a lot.

Dec 26, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #3,842 of 7,191
Hey All,

Just thought id chime in with my experience also. I've used quite a few gaming headsets such as arctis pro wireless. astro a50 gen 3 and 4, Most recently audio technicas ATH-ADG1x / ATH-G1 paired with a creative sound blasterx G6, HyperX Cloud flight S's and Audio Tech ATH-G1WL.

Let me start by saying these headphones sound soo good on PC and PS5, I'm by no means an audiophile but I would like to think I know good quality sound when I hear it. Ive never had much luck with wireless headsets with either the comfort just not being great or volume levels too low.

Pair I had the longest was my ATH-G1s and they are super comfy and light, but as for sound the Penrose just blows these out of the water with ease. The clarity of the penrose's are unreal, I only use them for gaming but in games nothing ever gets drowned out, even though you might hear explosions going off, the sound of footsteps never seem to get drowned out. The G1s are by no means bad but the Penrose is just that step above it in terms of quality. They also get louder than I need which is nice.

Unfortunately nothing is perfect :frowning2: i have had no issues such as hissing, sound cutting out or crackling. The only Gripe I have with these headphones is the clamping force, I have tried the pillow trick for 3 days and whilst they have gotten better they still seem to just sit a little to tight around my jaw line and also the headband makes my head a little sore.

I really want to try to get used to these but if they don't let up in the next few days I may have to return them.
Does anyone perhaps have an easy solution to the clamp force?
Give your head a wobble should solve the issue :D.

In all seriousness though if that is alright with me for a moment :p I can only suggest to keep doing the pillow trick fold it in half and wrap them around the fat edge and leave them overnight.

Dec 26, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #3,843 of 7,191
Mobius is terrible for wireless gaming. That said, I do agree that there were some areas where holding off for a later release to address some shortcomings would have really made for a much better launch and initial product. Audeze committed to taking orders a tad too early though and couldn’t put the genie back in the bottle. I know a lot of those were design decisions to get advertised features available now, but in the scope of being a “gaming product” were a bit of a head scratcher. That said, I enjoy my Penrose a lot.
Right so unless you want these specifically for gaming I’d say pass and get the Mobius.

I guess I figured they’d be like the Mobius just without 3D audio but with wireless and an adjustable equalizer instead. I was mostly interested in the EQ but I can’t even adjust it from my iphone.

I don’t know why they’d take away the ability to play audio through the USB cable.
I guess I’ll have to remember to carry around that dongle thing form now on. I can’t just leave it plugged in at home.

Dec 26, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #3,844 of 7,191
Right so unless you want these specifically for gaming I’d say pass and get the Mobius.

I guess I figured they’d be like the Mobius just without 3D audio but with wireless and an adjustable equalizer instead. I was mostly interested in the EQ but I can’t even adjust it from my iphone.

I don’t know why they’d take away the ability to play audio through the USB cable.
I guess I’ll have to remember to carry around that dongle thing form now on. I can’t just leave it plugged in at home.

you will soon be able to buy multiple dongles I believe

Dec 26, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #3,845 of 7,191
I've used the Penrose a fair bit every day for about 3 weeks or so. At first they were tight and uncomfortable to wear but I realised last night they have loosened up a fair bit and don't notice the clamp anymore. That's without doing the pillow trick. The top of the band also used to bother me after an hour, don't notice that either. I'd say they are comfortable now, but could also be me getting used to it.

Dec 26, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #3,846 of 7,191
I've used the Penrose a fair bit every day for about 3 weeks or so. At first they were tight and uncomfortable to wear but I realised last night they have loosened up a fair bit and don't notice the clamp anymore. That's without doing the pillow trick. The top of the band also used to bother me after an hour, don't notice that either. I'd say they are comfortable now, but could also be me getting used to it.
Hmm thanks for letting me know, maybe I just gotta give them more time. The sound is really the only reason why I'm even considering lol. If a headset felt like this in the past it would of instantly been returned lol

Dec 26, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #3,847 of 7,191
@Audeze

Will you be able to do anything to improve the wireless connection and range via firmware updates?

I agree they sound great on ps5 but are you getting occasional crackling/pops (like maybe 5 to 10 an hour)? It's a bit like it loses connection for millisecond or something. I thought it was just on BT but happening on wireless now. I dont think it's anything to do with pressure build up and the planar technology
I personally have not had any crackling sounds. I haven’t heard anything that isn’t part of the game when using the headset.

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #3,848 of 7,191
@Audeze

Why isn’t there a battery indicator on the top bar of my iPhone like there is with the Mobius?

@cmdrdredd @67390gt

Battery over Bluetooth is already available. It works on IOS and Android. (See screenshots below).
IOS_Battery.png
Android_Battery.png

The feature request was to have it available in the Windows app. We are testing it now and it will be released in the next version of the app.
Capture_PNG.png

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 26, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #3,849 of 7,191
So apparently there’s another big thing I missed. They can’t play audio though the USB cable? What?

Yea I’m kinda regretting the purchase at this point. I patiently waited since July for these. The Mobius is definitely a better headphone for all around use.
The USB dongle is the USB endpoint for Penrose. Adding USB wired would also make the headphone architecture very complex and difficult to manage.

Last edited:

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 26, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #3,850 of 7,191
So first time poster, but long time reader of this thread since I ordered the Penrose X back in October/Novrmber.

Pleased to say that my headphones arrived, build quality feels great, they're very comfortable and the sound is fantastic.

My biggest issue with them is the implementation with the Xbox Series X. It doesn't really make sense to me unless i'm missing something...

So when I'm in an Xbox party with friends, and playing a game at the same time, I don't seem to be able to change the "chat" volume and "game" volume independently. It's very weird, as my old Tutle Beach headphones did this without issues.

It feels to me as if the chat volume and game volume are controlled via 1 dial?

Also, the game/chat audio sliders within the Xbox operating system all all greyed out so I can't even fix my issue within software.

Am I the only person who has this issue? My assumption was that the physical dial with the headphone icon would change the game audio, and the physical dial with the microphone icon would change the chat volume. But it didn't appear to work that way for me, am I being stupid?

EDIT: RTFM helps...

For Xbox, the Mic wheel also functions as a balance control for chat vs. game audio. Just click, then spin the wheel until you have the desired balance between your two audio sources. These functions can also be controlled by the Audeze HQ app (see HQ section below).

Seems it's user error on my part. Will try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #3,851 of 7,191
So first time poster, but long time reader of this thread since I ordered the Penrose X back in October/Novrmber.

Pleased to say that my headphones arrived, build quality feels great, they're very comfortable and the sound is fantastic.

My biggest issue with them is the implementation with the Xbox Series X. It doesn't really make sense to me unless i'm missing something...

So when I'm in an Xbox party with friends, and playing a game at the same time, I don't seem to be able to change the "chat" volume and "game" volume independently. It's very weird, as my old Tutle Beach headphones did this without issues.

It feels to me as if the chat volume and game volume are controlled via 1 dial?

Also, the game/chat audio sliders within the Xbox operating system all all greyed out so I can't even fix my issue within software.

Am I the only person who has this issue? My assumption was that the physical dial with the headphone icon would change the game audio, and the physical dial with the microphone icon would change the chat volume. But it didn't appear to work that way for me, am I being stupid?

EDIT: RTFM helps...

For Xbox, the Mic wheel also functions as a balance control for chat vs. game audio. Just click, then spin the wheel until you have the desired balance between your two audio sources. These functions can also be controlled by the Audeze HQ app (see HQ section below).

Seems it's user error on my part. Will try again tomorrow.
Was about to type about the game/chat mix using the mic wheel, but it seems you already found it.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #3,852 of 7,191
Hey All,

Just thought id chime in with my experience also. I've used quite a few gaming headsets such as arctis pro wireless. astro a50 gen 3 and 4, Most recently audio technicas ATH-ADG1x / ATH-G1 paired with a creative sound blasterx G6, HyperX Cloud flight S's and Audio Tech ATH-G1WL.

Let me start by saying these headphones sound soo good on PC and PS5, I'm by no means an audiophile but I would like to think I know good quality sound when I hear it. Ive never had much luck with wireless headsets with either the comfort just not being great or volume levels too low.

Pair I had the longest was my ATH-G1s and they are super comfy and light, but as for sound the Penrose just blows these out of the water with ease. The clarity of the penrose's are unreal, I only use them for gaming but in games nothing ever gets drowned out, even though you might hear explosions going off, the sound of footsteps never seem to get drowned out. The G1s are by no means bad but the Penrose is just that step above it in terms of quality. They also get louder than I need which is nice.

Unfortunately nothing is perfect :frowning2: i have had no issues such as hissing, sound cutting out or crackling. The only Gripe I have with these headphones is the clamping force, I have tried the pillow trick for 3 days and whilst they have gotten better they still seem to just sit a little to tight around my jaw line and also the headband makes my head a little sore.

I really want to try to get used to these but if they don't let up in the next few days I may have to return them.

I have seen someone say the Dekoni Nuggts placed on the headband can help alleviate some force by balancing the headset at a different point there. I have some at home that I will try if I have any issues with the penrose x once I receive them.

Dec 26, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #3,855 of 7,191
Hey All,

Nice to see the comparison. I was really considering between Penrose and the arctis pro wireless. Due to the connectivity issues and clamping force. I myself had issue with G933 where it keeps having drop off previously and I really really hope that Penrose won't have such issue.

I myself owns the mobius but because I wanted to have one wireless for ps5 that's why I am considering Penrose. But my country does not have 30 days return. So if the connectivity issue is not fixed I guess I am paying for luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back