Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 26, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #3,871 of 7,191
I've just received my Penrose and those early reports of drop outs and limited range have been confirmed for me. Seems like those on consoles don't really get these issues but on PC it's fairly common.

I tried following the troubleshooting page which included updating to the latest firmware, trying USB2/USB3 ports, powered USB hubs, turning off 2.4GHz wifi on my router and even trying the receiver in 2 different PCs. Unfortunately I still get drop outs and spammed "connected" when I just walk out of my room which is only 5 meters away.

I'm going to ring my retailer to see if I could get a new USB wireless dongle in case mine is faulty. If the new USB wireless dongle doesn't resolve my drop out and limited range issues I may have to return these headphones which is a shame since they sound so good. These issues are not what you would expect of such an expensive headphones.

Is there any one else here who just received their Penrose and are experiencing drop outs and limited range issues? Would love to hear your experiences.

Cheers
No drop outs for me

Dec 26, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #3,872 of 7,191
In the initial test/beta versions we had it the other way and it caused a lot of confusion. The click + rotate was finalized because it caused 1. lesser confusion 2. Once you get used to it, is quite simple. Since we support a lot of platforms, people use the mic gain to adjust their volume if someone on the other side says, the volume is too low.
We will continue to evaluate user feedback on this.
+1 I would also like it changed. For console players they don’t need to adjust gain on the headset. It can be adjusted by other users in the party if we are too low. PC has tons of adjustments in software, don’t think it’s needed hardware wise either. Changing the mic gain to party chat mix would be awesome. Normal use would be set it and forget it, then use software to change if absolutely necessary.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #3,876 of 7,191
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. I have been primarily a console gamer and built a PC. I am having trouble getting audio input from the Penrose mic to be recognized in Windows. Windows recognizes the Penrose mic in the settings but no audio comes through. I’ve verified the usb received is switched to Windows, none of the microphone settings are disabled in Windows or anything. I’ve tried wireless and plugging into usb. Again, no trouble with Windows recognizing the device just no input is being registered. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #3,877 of 7,191
All who has the wireless connection issue are you guys near the router?

I have had connection drop outs when near an Orbi mesh router that were more prominent then when moved somewhere else for sure. Using a usb extender to provide a clearer line of sight has helped. The advertised range and connectivity is definitely under optimal conditions and has nothing to do with real world implementation.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #3,878 of 7,191
I have had connection drop outs when near an Orbi mesh router that were more prominent then when moved somewhere else for sure. Using a usb extender to provide a clearer line of sight has helped. The advertised range and connectivity is definitely under optimal conditions and has nothing to do with real world implementation.
i see so meaning if my ps5 is just beside my router there's a high chance that I will be getting drop outs?

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #3,879 of 7,191
In the initial test/beta versions we had it the other way and it caused a lot of confusion. The click + rotate was finalized because it caused 1. lesser confusion 2. Once you get used to it, is quite simple. Since we support a lot of platforms, people use the mic gain to adjust their volume if someone on the other side says, the volume is too low.
We will continue to evaluate user feedback on this.

From the little bit I played with it feels like the mic gain does not effect sidetone. Is that right? And on the the chat mix wheel, there is no physical bump for center. What I’m getting at is the settings are very hard to dial in. Especially on xbox or playstation when can’t see audio meters to set levels. You end up just spinning wheels hoping for the best (and not exactly sure what wheel you are spinning).

On the arctis headsets, they don’t have a mic gain wheel. How do they handle it? Could there be an auto limiter on the mic (or at least an option for it)? I would vote to have an auto mic gain setting and the wheel just did chat mix if possible.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #3,880 of 7,191
i see so meaning if my ps5 is just beside my router there's a high chance that I will be getting drop outs?

Its not ideal but I’ve found plugging it in front of a console will yield better results. I’ve had no dropouts with my XBOX unless I had it in the back or walked too far away from the box. Honestly I’m a bit spoiled i guess, my Astro A50 gen 4‘s range is insane. I can go to another level of my house before it drops.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #3,881 of 7,191
Its not ideal but I’ve found plugging it in front of a console will yield better results. I’ve had no dropouts with my XBOX unless I had it in the back or walked too far away from the box. Honestly I’m a bit spoiled i guess, my Astro A50 gen 4‘s range is insane. I can go to another level of my house before it drops, this thing is way too finicky.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #3,882 of 7,191
Its not ideal but I’ve found plugging it in front of a console will yield better results. I’ve had no dropouts with my XBOX unless I had it in the back or walked too far away from the box. Honestly I’m a bit spoiled i guess, my Astro A50 gen 4‘s range is insane. I can go to another level of my house before it drops.
Thanks for the explanation. I will try it out when i receive hopefully next week. I nearly cancel my order for the Arctis pro wireless but decided to give it a shot. Let's hope it works well with the wireless connection. :)

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #3,884 of 7,191
@Audeze Just wondering about all these differences people have got with range and dropouts. Some are fine, some not. Do you perhaps have a signal strength graph for the dongle you could share, to show the horizontal and vertical shape of the signal?

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #3,885 of 7,191
Is there any one else here who just received their Penrose and are experiencing drop outs and limited range issues? Would love to hear your experiences.

Cheers
I have the same issue on ps5. My friend has same issue on ps5 too. Crackling is a bigger issue for me whereas the permanent "connected" is his main issue. Wifi router is close by but I have never had this issue before on other 2.4 wireless headsets. Crackling lots on BT too. Not sure if I should contact supplier for a replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back