Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #3,833 of 7,191
Merry Christmas, all. Santa delivered me (I bought myself) an Android phone so I can EQ my Penrose X and update the firmware, however, I cannot see the update firmware option. Is this because I'm already on the latest version, or can you only update these on the desktop app...

@Audeze or anyone else. Where is the firmware option on the android app? Thanks.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #3,834 of 7,191
Hi, how are you?
Do you know if Penrose X is absolutely compatible with PS5 (Tempest 3D Sound and chat services) wirelessly with the doongle?
And with Nintendo Switch?
Thanks a lot.
Be able to tell you when I get my Penrose X (hopefully Monday) and try them out with my PS5. Will try on switch too, suspect it’ll work with the Switch dock

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #3,836 of 7,191
Hi, how are you?
Do you know if Penrose X is absolutely compatible with PS5 (Tempest 3D Sound and chat services) wirelessly with the doongle?
And with Nintendo Switch?
Thanks a lot.
I received my Penrose X this week and I only have a PS5 for now. It works as expected, including the Tempest 3D sound as that is done on the PS5 side before the sound makes it to the headphones. They sound phenomenal while I was playing Demon’s Souls!

Dec 26, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #3,837 of 7,191
@Audeze

Will you be able to do anything to improve the wireless connection and range via firmware updates?
I received my Penrose X this week and I only have a PS5 for now. It works as expected, including the Tempest 3D sound as that is done on the PS5 side before the sound makes it to the headphones. They sound phenomenal while I was playing Demon’s Souls!
I agree they sound great on ps5 but are you getting occasional crackling/pops (like maybe 5 to 10 an hour)? It's a bit like it loses connection for millisecond or something. I thought it was just on BT but happening on wireless now. I dont think it's anything to do with pressure build up and the planar technology

Dec 26, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #3,838 of 7,191
So have had Penrose X (paired with Series X) for 3 days now. I have to say these are hands down the best sounding headsets I have ever owned, nothing comes even close. My last pair were GSP500 from Sennheiser, which sounded great. The sou dotage is surprisingly fairly wide, which is another surprise. Granted, not as wide as open backs but they still get some of the benefit.

Initially I had some issues with the clamping force, however this issue quickly dissipated with use and some stretching. They feel very comfortable and I can use them for many hours at a time.

I've tested them with Atmos shows on Netflix, Amazon and Disney+, as well as various games (Gears 5, AC Valhalla, Destiny 2 Resi 3). They just sound phenomenal.

The battery life is very good, I haven't drained them yet. Although I do wonder what assurances Audeze give for battery units that are depleting over time, do they replace them at cost?

Overall, very very pleased. For those having issues, I would advise try and acclimate to them first before making a judgment call, though I can understand these won't be for everyone.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #3,839 of 7,191
So apparently there’s another big thing I missed. They can’t play audio though the USB cable? What?

Yea I’m kinda regretting the purchase at this point. I patiently waited since July for these. The Mobius is definitely a better headphone for all around use.

Dec 26, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #3,840 of 7,191
Hey All,

Just thought id chime in with my experience also. I've used quite a few gaming headsets such as arctis pro wireless. astro a50 gen 3 and 4, Most recently audio technicas ATH-ADG1x / ATH-G1 paired with a creative sound blasterx G6, HyperX Cloud flight S's and Audio Tech ATH-G1WL.

Let me start by saying these headphones sound soo good on PC and PS5, I'm by no means an audiophile but I would like to think I know good quality sound when I hear it. Ive never had much luck with wireless headsets with either the comfort just not being great or volume levels too low.

Pair I had the longest was my ATH-G1s and they are super comfy and light, but as for sound the Penrose just blows these out of the water with ease. The clarity of the penrose's are unreal, I only use them for gaming but in games nothing ever gets drowned out, even though you might hear explosions going off, the sound of footsteps never seem to get drowned out. The G1s are by no means bad but the Penrose is just that step above it in terms of quality. They also get louder than I need which is nice.

Unfortunately nothing is perfect :frowning2: i have had no issues such as hissing, sound cutting out or crackling. The only Gripe I have with these headphones is the clamping force, I have tried the pillow trick for 3 days and whilst they have gotten better they still seem to just sit a little to tight around my jaw line and also the headband makes my head a little sore.

I really want to try to get used to these but if they don't let up in the next few days I may have to return them.
Does anyone perhaps have an easy solution to the clamp force?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back