Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 25, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #3,796 of 7,196
I've had this headset for about 5 days now and the sound quality is awesome. The battery seems to last a long time as I haven't had it die yet during multiple full day gaming sessions. I did originally get a ton of complaints about the mic quality on discord but after turning off Echo Cancellation (Voice & Video > Voice Processing) everyone says it sounds great now. On day 2 I developed a crinkling noise in the right cup (while I was wearing the headphones) whenever the pressure inside the pads changes ever so slightly (such as opening my mouth, turning my head, or putting on/taking off the cans) and I noticed the diaphram has become wrinkled on that side. That issue started off fairly severe but after sitting for 2 days it seems to have greatly lessened, as its only noticeable when first putting on or taking off the headset now.

After that issue *mostly* fixed itself I decided to experiment with swapping the pads out for a Brainwavz set so that they were more over-ear instead of on-ear for me. In case anyone is interested in swapping the pads out for a deeper set I had a friend design a gasket to 3d print to maintain the seal. The original idea was found in the mobius thread here by Zenvota. You just need to print out the gasket(x2) and then wrap either side with 1mm adhesive backed crafting felt.

Attachments

• IMG_2681.jpg
    IMG_2681.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2682.jpg
    IMG_2682.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 0
  • Audeze1.jpg
    Audeze1.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 0
Dec 25, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #3,798 of 7,196
If the penrose x don’t work out for me but the planar magnetic drivers impress me enough I am prepared to order the LCD-GX headset and stay wired. The penrose x is my first step into this type of driver system. I figured it’s cheap enough to get a taste of what it has to offer over the standard headphone drivers.

Dec 25, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #3,799 of 7,196
I've had this headset for about 5 days now and the sound quality is awesome. The battery seems to last a long time as I haven't had it die yet during multiple full day gaming sessions. I did originally get a ton of complaints about the mic quality on discord but after turning off Echo Cancellation (Voice & Video > Voice Processing) everyone says it sounds great now. On day 2 I developed a crinkling noise in the right cup (while I was wearing the headphones) whenever the pressure inside the pads changes ever so slightly (such as opening my mouth, turning my head, or putting on/taking off the cans) and I noticed the diaphram has become wrinkled on that side. That issue started off fairly severe but after sitting for 2 days it seems to have greatly lessened, as its only noticeable when first putting on or taking off the headset now.

After that issue *mostly* fixed itself I decided to experiment with swapping the pads out for a Brainwavz set so that they were more over-ear instead of on-ear for me. In case anyone is interested in swapping the pads out for a deeper set I had a friend design a gasket to 3d print to maintain the seal. The original idea was found in the mobius thread here by Zenvota. You just need to print out the gasket(x2) and then wrap either side with 1mm adhesive backed crafting felt.

Do you adhere the gasket to the headphones at all? Also what size brainwavz? Just the oval pads?

I wish audeze would just sell spare of the pastuc rings, or someone would make a 3d printable copy

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #3,800 of 7,196
Do you adhere the gasket to the headphones at all? Also what size brainwavz? Just the oval pads?

I wish audeze would just sell spare of the pastuc rings, or someone would make a 3d printable copy
I thought about buying a set of mobius ear pad kits and then taking the original pads off to see what I can make work on them for aftermarket pads. But if someone can 3D print the plastic snap ring I would gladly buy!

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #3,802 of 7,196

I didn't adhere it, I was able to get it to stay in place while putting the ear pad on fairly easily since it has a decent amount of thickness to it. I linked the earpads I used on the thingiverse description but they're these

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #3,803 of 7,196
Hello guys, first post here. So I just got my long awaited Penrose X yesterday and I wanted to be in love with them, but the hissing sound is just unbearable as it is right now. Maybe I'm just too sensitive for that type of noise, but I cannot take it out of my head anytime there's no sound. When they automatically turn off after like 20 minutes if no sound is playing and they go fully silent, it's a total blessing to my ears.

I've been reading around this thread for a month or so but I don't remember if this issue has been fully addressed, apart from the firmware update, which of course, I do have my headset updated (sidetone is off, it gets even worse if sidetone is on). Is this hissing noise planned to get even lower with a further firmware update? This was my first wireless headset. Is this hissing noise common to all of them? Is it only a problem with the ones with 2.4GHz connection, or is it also present in BT headphones?

I'm coming from a regular ass wired gaming headset, some Trust gxt 340s form like 6 years ago and... I don't know... I was expecting the jump in sound quality to be a little... bigger? I'm no expert in audio, but I hoped I could tell the difference when listening to some FLAC video game soundtracks, since I assume those should be well recorded enough.

These, and well, the obvious need of a battery indicator that's hopefully coming, are my only complains with them. They may not be like a pair of clouds attached to my ears, but I don't have any comfort issues. I didn't have any connection dropouts, and the audio mix when on bluetooth and wireless seemed fine, plus I could simply turn the bluetooth volume down with my phone as I would do with any headphones that I could connect it to.
So my only big issue with them is the infamous hissing. Would appreciate any info that you guys may have on it.
Thanks.

Dec 25, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #3,804 of 7,196
With the Penrose for PS5 and the latest firmware 0.1.5 and sidetone to off, it still have noise floor that can be heard when you have no sound or during dialog or call sequence in game.
My Sony platinum (wireless 2.4Ghz too) is dead silent. Same thing for my Meze audio 99 classics connected to the dualsense controller with a 3.5 cable.

@Audeze do you plan to lower it again ? With the 0.1.5 it lowered by -18dB, can you go further (-21dB or more ?) to annihilate this very boring sound ?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #3,805 of 7,196
i would go with the Penrose. I had the A50s and had some issues with drop outs like folks reported here for Penrose. I think the A50 would have a better mic and the Penrose better sound. But ultimately you can’t go wrong with either.
The sound quality of Astros has gone down the toilet compared to what it used to be too. I've got the Penrose X now and I also have the arctis 7x and the penrose sound quality is another level compared to the 7x for me. How does it compared to the pro wireless I wonder.

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #3,806 of 7,196
Hello guys, first post here. So I just got my long awaited Penrose X yesterday and I wanted to be in love with them, but the hissing sound is just unbearable as it is right now. Maybe I'm just too sensitive for that type of noise, but I cannot take it out of my head anytime there's no sound. When they automatically turn off after like 20 minutes if no sound is playing and they go fully silent, it's a total blessing to my ears.

I've been reading around this thread for a month or so but I don't remember if this issue has been fully addressed, apart from the firmware update, which of course, I do have my headset updated (sidetone is off, it gets even worse if sidetone is on). Is this hissing noise planned to get even lower with a further firmware update? This was my first wireless headset. Is this hissing noise common to all of them? Is it only a problem with the ones with 2.4GHz connection, or is it also present in BT headphones?

I'm coming from a regular ass wired gaming headset, some Trust gxt 340s form like 6 years ago and... I don't know... I was expecting the jump in sound quality to be a little... bigger? I'm no expert in audio, but I hoped I could tell the difference when listening to some FLAC video game soundtracks, since I assume those should be well recorded enough.

These, and well, the obvious need of a battery indicator that's hopefully coming, are my only complains with them. They may not be like a pair of clouds attached to my ears, but I don't have any comfort issues. I didn't have any connection dropouts, and the audio mix when on bluetooth and wireless seemed fine, plus I could simply turn the bluetooth volume down with my phone as I would do with any headphones that I could connect it to.
So my only big issue with them is the infamous hissing. Would appreciate any info that you guys may have on it.
Thanks.
I've not noticed the hissing yet. I will try to recreate it on my series X tonight.

Dec 25, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #3,807 of 7,196
I've not noticed the hissing yet. I will try to recreate it on my series X tonight.
I'm using them on PC, but the hissing sound (or maybe what I'm hearing is the noise floor, idk) is present from the very moment the lady says "power on" even if the dongle isn't connected to anything and the headset isn't connected to any bluetooth device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back