Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 24, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #3,736 of 7,191
Seems like no Penrose X for christmas, CMA still has non available, other shops in germany already have it on stock :frowning2:

The QuickStart guide mentions that when the Penrose is finished charging the red light stays on. Mine doesn’t go to a solid red after being on charge for nearly 4 hours. This is charging USB-C to USB-C on my pc. Anyone else getting the same?
Maybe just to make sure it's not a power issue of your PC USB slot, try a halfway potent USB charger

Dec 24, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #3,739 of 7,191
Got my Penrose a few days ago. Clamping is tight, top headband is not comfortable. Cups are a little small (more similar to the Sony WH-1000XM3 than the spacious AKG K7XX), not plush enough, and I personally don't like that my ears feel like they're being suctioned. Maybe aftermarket velour pads would be more plush with less isolation.

The sound quality is great though. First time with planars and the bass definition is the major difference I'm noticing.

I'm getting the wind wooshing sound too. And sidetone is off, mic is muted. Maybe it would have been better if it was a wooshing in a single frequency, but it's changing erratically which is rather distracting.

It took a while to find the correct USB combination that remained stable on my PC. I ended up connecting a USB 3 extension to a USB 3.1 port on the motherboard, and a USB 2 hub connected to the extension. Range is noticeably shorter than the XM3 and the Playstation Gold Wireless Headset - the latter was also less finicky on the choice of USB port (and the former being connected via bluetooth which makes the comparison irrelevant).

Not being able to change the volume from Windows is a big deal. But I understand that this will be implemented soon, so that point is moot. Other than that, the AudezeHQ software has some bad user experience. Why does it let me change the EQ and sidetone parameters when the headset is not connected, therefore doing absolutely nothing? I would expect that controls that currently cannot be interacted with would be disabled. Also, it is unclear which position of the sidetone switch is "on" vs "off". Is it "off" when the switch seems to be to the left, where the "off" text was? I had to try both to find out.

So far I'm impressed by the sound quality but disappointed by everything else. I'll try to alleviate the comfort issues by stretching the band and adding Dekoni nuggets (which are on their way here). I'd like to see other people swap to the Dekoni cups before I try that myself - this is a >$100 investment due to shipping costs.

Dec 24, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #3,740 of 7,191
I called UPS in regards to my Penrose X order that has been in transit after clearing customs since Saturday/Sunday.

The representative said it’s odd there has been no scans since being shipped from Chek Lap Kok, but it’s still in transit. They mentioned if I don’t receive any scans or updates by today/tomorrow morning to put in a claim for an investigation. Anyone run into this issue for USA or Canada?
Technically yes, we should have received them this week - it doesn’t look hopeful at this point. UPS showed an expected delivery of Monday as well on Friday when it shipped from HK.

Even the expected delivery on the order summary page on Audeze, still shows the 21st. Hopefully next week if we’re lucky.

So, checked UPS today and my unit is in Taiwan for some reason?! @Audeze would suggest you ask for shipping fees to be reimbursed it seems like some units took a week to go from Hong Kong to Taiwan, seems like it got shipped? At this rate it may be here in mid January, very frustrating experience

Dec 24, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #3,741 of 7,191
So, checked UPS today and my unit is in Taiwan for some reason?! @Audeze would suggest you ask for shipping fees to be reimbursed it seems like some units took a week to go from Hong Kong to Taiwan, seems like it got shipped? At this rate it may be here in mid January, very frustrating experience

oh and I mean shipped as in put on an actual ship!

Dec 24, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #3,743 of 7,191
Does anyone know of US distributors that have received units? At this point I’m ordering domestic and returning the unit that I ordered directly from Audeze given the shipping mess I’ve experienced

I cannot find any. Crutchfield I had high hopes for, but they did not get their expected shipment in on Tuesday like they thought and apparently can’t get Audeze to answer them. B & H photo is also empty.

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #3,744 of 7,191

That is very odd, mine is in Taiwan too, but it appears as if it was a short ride from Chek Lap Kok to Taiwan. Judging by the UPS app anyways, it was just sitting in Chek Lap Kok all week with no movement.

My expected delivery does say the 29th - but I definitely will not be getting my hopes up again. Here is my tracking and it not moving at all this week until today.

Attachments

• CF61363B-E202-4BA3-B0C8-E1526C29F0B3.jpeg
    CF61363B-E202-4BA3-B0C8-E1526C29F0B3.jpeg
    342.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 24, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #3,745 of 7,191
So I finally received my Penrose X today and have used them for a couple hours with Series X.

Initial Impressions.
- Sound quality is superb, though I still need to get the right EQ settings. Anyone have any for gaming?
- Clamping force is a little on the high side but not a deal breaker.
- Need to get used to these closed backs as I was on open back headphones before ie GSP500 Sennheisers.
- Suction is a little tight on ears. Haven't played extended sessions yet but can imagine these getting u comfortable, will update soon on this.

So my impressions are mixed at this point. Need to give them a good go before I decide to keep them.

Dec 24, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #3,748 of 7,191
Got my Penrose a few days ago. Clamping is tight, top headband is not comfortable. Cups are a little small (more similar to the Sony WH-1000XM3 than the spacious AKG K7XX), not plush enough, and I personally don't like that my ears feel like they're being suctioned. Maybe aftermarket velour pads would be more plush with less isolation.

The sound quality is great though. First time with planars and the bass definition is the major difference I'm noticing.

I'm getting the wind wooshing sound too. And sidetone is off, mic is muted. Maybe it would have been better if it was a wooshing in a single frequency, but it's changing erratically which is rather distracting.

It took a while to find the correct USB combination that remained stable on my PC. I ended up connecting a USB 3 extension to a USB 3.1 port on the motherboard, and a USB 2 hub connected to the extension. Range is noticeably shorter than the XM3 and the Playstation Gold Wireless Headset - the latter was also less finicky on the choice of USB port (and the former being connected via bluetooth which makes the comparison irrelevant).

Not being able to change the volume from Windows is a big deal. But I understand that this will be implemented soon, so that point is moot. Other than that, the AudezeHQ software has some bad user experience. Why does it let me change the EQ and sidetone parameters when the headset is not connected, therefore doing absolutely nothing? I would expect that controls that currently cannot be interacted with would be disabled. Also, it is unclear which position of the sidetone switch is "on" vs "off". Is it "off" when the switch seems to be to the left, where the "off" text was? I had to try both to find out.

So far I'm impressed by the sound quality but disappointed by everything else. I'll try to alleviate the comfort issues by stretching the band and adding Dekoni nuggets (which are on their way here). I'd like to see other people swap to the Dekoni cups before I try that myself - this is a >$100 investment due to shipping costs.

I have had a ton of disconnect issues and did the same thing you did and placed the dongle on the top of the CPU case. It seems to have helped quite a bit but it's still susceptible to quite a bit of interference. I have also noticed an issue while enabling spatial sound options like Atmos and DTS: X, They appear to pop and crackle and seem to intermittently drop audio. Windows Sonic appears to work just fine (and stereo) but nothing else. Has anyone else experienced the spatial sound issues?

Dec 24, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #3,749 of 7,191
For those who've received their Penrose X, has anyone tried it with a PS5 (wirelessly - Bluetooth or dongle) as well as their Series X? :)

I have used it with the Series X and it performs very well. I have mine plugged into the back of the system but am fairly close to the console so I don't experience connectivity issues. I have read those who experience intermittent connectivity have moved the dongle to the front of the console. Obviously not ideal but may be required in some cases which is just silly.

Dec 24, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #3,750 of 7,191
That is very odd, mine is in Taiwan too, but it appears as if it was a short ride from Chek Lap Kok to Taiwan. Judging by the UPS app anyways, it was just sitting in Chek Lap Kok all week with no movement.

My expected delivery does say the 29th - but I definitely will not be getting my hopes up again. Here is my tracking and it not moving at all this week until today.

Glad to hear that you’ve got a new delivery date, so weird the route the packages are taking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back