Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 22, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #3,676 of 7,191
Does Xbox party chat put any filters on your mic audio? I used the mic for the first time yesterday and got some pretty immediate feedback that it sounded like I was talking through a tin can.
Made some quick recordings via voice recorder on windows and it sounds completely fine to me. Both instances had the headphones connected wirelessly via the dongle.
No complaints from my party. They said I sounded warmer than the last mic I was using, more like a broadcast style mic they said.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #3,677 of 7,191
No complaints from my party. They said I sounded warmer than the last mic I was using, more like a broadcast style mic they said.
Hey! That's the idea, right? Broadcast mic sounding broadcast style... :)

No one commented on my mic. Maybe because I change mic almost every game session. Lol

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #3,679 of 7,191
I heard the whooshing very clearly with sidetone enabled. Switched it off and it was gone.

As I mentioned a while ago the mute button does absolutely nothing when I'm using wireless, still don't know if that's how it's supposed to be or if there's a problem with my headset? It works when I connect through USB (or at least I see in Audeze HQ that it's muted then). I've done complete gaming sessions with the button in mute position but they all heard me perfectly clear 🤔

What I'm trying to say is that the mute may not actually mute if on wireless, meaning the enabled sidetone is probably the cause of the whooshing sound?

I have tested now with sidetone disabled and I still hear the wooshing sound.

I think you might be talking about how the Penrose sidetone has a "noise floor" (as I think other people call it), I do hear this and it goes away with either disabling sidetone or muting mic. That sounds more like white noise, the wooshing sound is a bit like this: but play it at 10% volume and imagine it a bit higher pitched.

The Penrose's mic mute switch definitely works for me on wireless, you might have a different input device setup as mic.

Dec 22, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #3,681 of 7,191
Hi Forceberg,

Things to check (all on the Audeze site)

1) you've plugged into the mic socket not the aux input.
2) the mic switch is up on the headset. Mine took a few goes before it loosened up
3) go into windows by control panel, ensure you have selected as input.And then select sound control panel, goto the input devices and check in the input volume preferences that the mic is unmuted.

Note : Annoyingly these default to muted when disconnected and then reconnected. (I did mention to @Audeze UK support that this seems wrong. This coupled with the issue with such a short power saving timeout causes both to become an annoyance rather than a feature because it means you need to navigate to unmute your mic in control panel every 30 mins )

To check..?
1) use the AudezeHQ app and see if enabling the loopback and then bumping mic audio enables you to hear yourself. Note even on max the feedback is subtle. Note you need to be not using the windows control panel when doing this as inadvertently highlighting another audio device, even without opening, causes the headset to stop. I guess headphone grabs an exclusive mode?

While here you can change the mic gain. Either from headset wheel or in the app.
(For those complaining about sensitivity of the wheel you'll see why here... The wheel and app both go in steps of 22)

2) try the windows sound control panel, goto the input devices and set headset to listen to the mic through a playback device. Note you cannot use Penrose headset mic as input but playing back the captured audio out via Penrose stereo headphones mode, only . You can select playback device either as Penrose headset, or a completely different device. Say your PC loudspeaker or another headset entirely.

I suspect relates to headset grabbing the audio service exclusively and either headphone or headset protocol can be used, not both at same time. I've not tried turning off exclusivity in control panel.

I'll let you guess which one of the above I did wrong and nearly repacked to send back before I realised.

Chris

Thank you for the very throrough and detailed reply. Unfortunately none of the steps seem to work for me :/
Ive checked that its plugged in correctly, its unmuted both on headset and in windows. I can hear myself perfectly when I switch on sidetone in Audeze HQ.
Ive tried 2 different computers with same negative result. However it suddenly started to work on my phone. Still I dont understand why Im having these issues on windows. Never had any problems with other BT-headsets before on these computers.

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #3,682 of 7,191
Anyone having an issue in their right ear cup with a faint whooshing, popping, high frequency type noise? It’s intermittent and it can only be heard when there’s no other audio, but it’s annoying.

If I had to describe the sound it’s as if it’s just the sound of the headphones being “on”, but it goes in and out.

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #3,683 of 7,191
I just received my Penrose and tried them for the first time on PS5. I already can’t wait to return these things. The audio is SO bad. Music sounds nice but gameplay is horrible. Everything sounds so distant, like there’s a barrier between my ears and what I’m supposed to be hearing. There is no depth or richness to the sound. Everything sounds like it’s 10 feet away, not right over my ears.

Spatially they’re good for far distances (i.e. far away gunfire to my right) but for close up I can’t distinguish whether sounds are coming from in front of me, to the right, or to the left. It’s a jumbled mess. Not good for FPS when you need to hear footsteps. Also, the volume in the right ear up seems to be higher than the one in the left, and it’s a super-annoying sensation. I find myself adjusting the left ear up over and over to try to achieve the same isolation as the right ear cup.

Also, the game/chat wheel doesn’t work. When I hold it down and adjust the wheel, my game/chat balance doesn’t change. I even tried adjusting it in the computer program and it did nothing on the headset. My teammates chat was way louder than my game volume and I had no way of fixing it using the headset. I had to do it through the party chat options on PS5. Not ideal.

I’m coming from Astro A40s and I’m switching back immediately. It’s pretty sad when my Gen 1 Astro A40s from 2011 sound way better on my PS5 (which they’re not evenly designed for) than a brand new headset marketed specifically for PS5.

I wanted to love these things so bad, but I just can’t get past the terrible audio. To be fair it might also be an issue with PS5 audio in general as I did notice my A40s don’t sound as great on my PS5 as on PS4, but that’s likely because they’re only plugged into the controller rather than into a Mixamp that’s plugged via optical cable into my PS4.

At this point I’m just waiting for Astro to develop a new headset designed for PS5. Until then, my old A40s will do just fine.

it’s the ps5. The audio is really bad. Sony Hyped up their Tempest audio stuff but it’s really terrible.

Dec 22, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #3,684 of 7,191
Has anyone else received a tracking# with a confirmed delivery day since 17-18th? Then changed to rescheduled delivery “check back tomorrow.”? This happened to me today. I had a delivery date set for Monday 21st by 9pm. I then looked at shipping details say shipped. seems like it’s still stuck in China HK in transit🥺 please get here to me before Christmas.. 😝 any updates anyone? Lol

got the same thing. Hasn’t been any update to tracking info for a few days. I’m not sure what that means.

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #3,687 of 7,191
I've been using the Penrose X on XSX today, first impressions:

fit didn't feel great at first, then I readjusted around until it felt right and comfort was a lot better but definitely get fatigued after a little while. I'm getting the crackling people are talking about a fair bit, moreso while gaming than in music. I don't mind it much while playing music since it doesn't happen as much but the crackling cuts out game audio and comms when its happening which is pretty annoying. This is my first wireless headset so I had no idea that Xbox party audio is grayed out if you're using wireless. This really puts me off because I play Warzone a lot with LFG randoms and Xbox's relatively new feature to adjust audio sliders on separate party members was a fantastic feature since everyone's mic audio is a little different. I noticed if you change the game/chat mixer you can see the slider move but you can't see the slider move when you adjust headphone volume.

I also had trouble getting my mic recognized by xbox sometimes. I'd have to unplug/plug it back in and restart my headset a few times and test on party chat for it to work properly.

The only game I played was Warzone with Atmos and I didn't notice a significant difference tbh coming from a RUNMUS headset I got from Amazon (which honestly sound great for its price, gaming wise). I was pretty disappointed about this..but I also understand WZ audio is pretty bad in general so I'm probably not giving the fairest shake.

Music sounds incredible though, I used to have a ritual listening to new highly anticipated albums with a proper set of headphones until I got lazy and started using bluetooth speakers instead. I think having wireless/bluetooth planars will change that. Listening to the airy soundstage on Ron Gallo's Heavy Meta album blew me away and as a big garage rock fan the fuzzy distortion sounded way better too if that makes sense heh. Although as I'm listening right now, my connection keeps cutting in and out and I just keep hearing "connected" :/

I think ultimately I'm going to try the PC38X as my gaming headset because I like adjusting my audio on my xbox rather than on my headset and will be better suited for what I use it for. BUT I am sold on having a wireless set of planars just for music. What are the options in the $250-300 range that are better or on par with the Penrose in terms of sound quality? Or is the Penrose still the best in this price range? Because if it is, I don't mind keeping it just for that. But if there are better options out there, then I think I will opt for that

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #3,688 of 7,191
I’m thinking it’s in US customs. COVID, the Russian attack and all the other Chinese junk coming over, may have something to do with it.

I have seen items not get scanned but still move around until finally it pops up again. Though I don’t know if that’s happening here as I think UPS would have scanned it out at some point by now. It’s probably stuck in customs with hundreds of others.
To be honest I think it would have been better if Audeze didn’t do direct shipment from China but rather wait until they had them to process. That way nobody had their hopes up. Especially when they said “we expect everyone to have them before Christmas” which clearly isn’t going to happen. They would have been better off saying nothing until it either reached them to process shipping or they could confirm tracking from UPS in the destination country, in my case the USA.

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #3,689 of 7,191
I've been using the Penrose X on XSX today, first impressions:

fit didn't feel great at first, then I readjusted around until it felt right and comfort was a lot better but definitely get fatigued after a little while. I'm getting the crackling people are talking about a fair bit, moreso while gaming than in music. I don't mind it much while playing music since it doesn't happen as much but the crackling cuts out game audio and comms when its happening which is pretty annoying. This is my first wireless headset so I had no idea that Xbox party audio is grayed out if you're using wireless. This really puts me off because I play Warzone a lot with LFG randoms and Xbox's relatively new feature to adjust audio sliders on separate party members was a fantastic feature since everyone's mic audio is a little different. I noticed if you change the game/chat mixer you can see the slider move but you can't see the slider move when you adjust headphone volume.

I also had trouble getting my mic recognized by xbox sometimes. I'd have to unplug/plug it back in and restart my headset a few times and test on party chat for it to work properly.

The only game I played was Warzone with Atmos and I didn't notice a significant difference tbh coming from a RUNMUS headset I got from Amazon (which honestly sound great for its price, gaming wise). I was pretty disappointed about this..but I also understand WZ audio is pretty bad in general so I'm probably not giving the fairest shake.

Music sounds incredible though, I used to have a ritual listening to new highly anticipated albums with a proper set of headphones until I got lazy and started using bluetooth speakers instead. I think having wireless/bluetooth planars will change that. Listening to the airy soundstage on Ron Gallo's Heavy Meta album blew me away and as a big garage rock fan the fuzzy distortion sounded way better too if that makes sense heh. Although as I'm listening right now, my connection keeps cutting in and out and I just keep hearing "connected" :/

I think ultimately I'm going to try the PC38X as my gaming headset because I like adjusting my audio on my xbox rather than on my headset and will be better suited for what I use it for. BUT I am sold on having a wireless set of planars just for music. What are the options in the $250-300 range that are better or on par with the Penrose in terms of sound quality? Or is the Penrose still the best in this price range? Because if it is, I don't mind keeping it just for that. But if there are better options out there, then I think I will opt for that

Oh that's disappointing, wasn't expecting for those sliders to be greyed out... Makes me rethink purchasing... Does this apply to all xbox wireless headsets?

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #3,690 of 7,191
Somehow my wireless connection has been good the last couple days, which has made me fall in love with the Penrose all over again. If you look back through my posts, I've always enjoyed the sound but was relatively cold on the headphones overall due to wireless stability. With my (admittedly) lucky connection stability lately, I can see why people like these headphones so much. I do hope that Audeze eventually improve the stability to match that of Arctis 7P (which never have connection issues even when my Penrose do).

I also hope that Audeze allows us to configure the auto-power off timer on the Penrose. Now that I've stretched them out enough, they're comfortable enough to be my go-to bluetooth headphones, but it's quite annoying how often they shut down when I have my music on pause. I'd love to be able to configure this to be 15 or even 30 minutes, even if that's at the expense of overall battery life (I don't mind charging them overnight anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back