Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 23, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #3,692 of 7,191
I've been using the Penrose X on XSX today, first impressions:

fit didn't feel great at first, then I readjusted around until it felt right and comfort was a lot better but definitely get fatigued after a little while. I'm getting the crackling people are talking about a fair bit, moreso while gaming than in music. I don't mind it much while playing music since it doesn't happen as much but the crackling cuts out game audio and comms when its happening which is pretty annoying. This is my first wireless headset so I had no idea that Xbox party audio is grayed out if you're using wireless. This really puts me off because I play Warzone a lot with LFG randoms and Xbox's relatively new feature to adjust audio sliders on separate party members was a fantastic feature since everyone's mic audio is a little different. I noticed if you change the game/chat mixer you can see the slider move but you can't see the slider move when you adjust headphone volume.

I also had trouble getting my mic recognized by xbox sometimes. I'd have to unplug/plug it back in and restart my headset a few times and test on party chat for it to work properly.

Someone posted in a reddit thread that you can adjust each party member but not sure if that is with the Penrose X connected. I haven't tried this yet.

As for the mic not being recognized and the crackling/popping after you turn on your Series X do a full restart and see if that fixes any issues.

I have no issues with the mic being recognized or with the sound having crackling but I do have issues with popping/crackling coming through my mic when I test it by recording a voice chat and also in party chat. After I turn on my Xbox and then do a restart everything works perfectly with no issues until I turn my Xbox off and back on again. I have about 8 hours total on 2 septate evenings with everything working as intended after a restart.

Range and battery life still aren't great but at least it works.

Not the best solution but something you might try until Audeze can hopefully fix the issue.

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #3,695 of 7,191
Finally got the Penrose X here in the UK.

They're charging at the moment, but initial impressions are they feel loose on the top of my head and quite heavy. Suction around my ears feels good and tight. I have a small head though, so I think it'll take some adjustments to get used to them.

No idea what firmware they came with as Apple MacBook / iPhone user here, but I will play some Xbox and listen to some music soon to test these out. Does anyone have a list of recommended reference songs (preferably with a link to play them as I think Apple Music is low quality?) so I can swap these out with the Sennheiser I have to see the difference?

Oh, I should probably invest in a headphone stand, if anyone in the UK has a recommendation, feel free to chuck one at me, thanks.

Dec 23, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #3,699 of 7,191
Do you have a Corsair keyboard or iCue running?

I don’t. Encountered the issue again.

475F2855-B090-431B-8F98-BFB0CFB3FF21.jpeg

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #3,700 of 7,191
Finally got the Penrose X here in the UK.

They're charging at the moment, but initial impressions are they feel loose on the top of my head and quite heavy. Suction around my ears feels good and tight. I have a small head though, so I think it'll take some adjustments to get used to them.

No idea what firmware they came with as Apple MacBook / iPhone user here, but I will play some Xbox and listen to some music soon to test these out. Does anyone have a list of recommended reference songs (preferably with a link to play them as I think Apple Music is low quality?) so I can swap these out with the Sennheiser I have to see the difference?

Oh, I should probably invest in a headphone stand, if anyone in the UK has a recommendation, feel free to chuck one at me, thanks.

Penrose X are on the latest firmware.

Dec 23, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #3,701 of 7,191
Okay, stupid question time, how on earth do I connect these to my MacBook Pro...? Do I have to run them in BT mode rather than Wireless? Anyone with layman's instructions, please?

Just plug the wireless dongle into the macbook pro. Make sure the switch on it is set to PC not xbox. Then in system preferences (or on the sound icon on the menu bar) set it to penrose.

Dec 23, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #3,702 of 7,191
Just plug the wireless dongle into the macbook pro. Make sure the switch on it is set to PC not xbox. Then in system preferences (or on the sound icon on the menu bar) set it to penrose.

I did a hard reset of the headphones and it now shows up. Must have been a weird gremlin. Next stupid question. Which side of the mic is the front, the silver mesh or the flat side?

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #3,705 of 7,191
i have just pre-order mine.. Penrose X at 259€.. Estimated arrival date: 31.01.2021 (Italy)
Are there any important issues that I should be aware of before confirming the order once it is available in stock?
My main use will be on xbox of course and via bluetooth on apple tv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back