Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 22, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #3,662 of 7,191
Man, everyone is sitting here writing about their experiences and I’m just sitting here with the completely useless Penrose X headset I was shipped (my usb dongle was bricked out of the box). I’m really hoping I get a support response to my email or phone calls before they go on holiday, but I kind of doubt it. I guess that’s the real trade off with small companies, they can have really great support but they don’t have any resources (people) to provide it.

@Audeze is it possible for me to get an extension of my 30 day trial period since I can’t even use the headphones on 2.4GHz and days/weeks are going to be eaten up by the holidays/support backlog?
I wish I could ship you my Penrose as there have been zero issues with it. Sounds good, just not what I am looking for.

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #3,663 of 7,191
I wish I could ship you my Penrose as there have been zero issues with it. Sounds good, just not what I am looking for.
Ha, I appreciate the gesture. I’ve read your take on the headphones and totally get it. If a halfway decent open-back wireless headset (or even headphones I could pair with a mod mic wireless) existed, that’s what I would have bought instead.

For me, the wireless functionality is what I need more than anything else. I just really need to test the range/signal strength of these because I’m going to be sitting about 12-15 feet away from the dongle in a room with other 2.4 devices.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #3,665 of 7,191
Ha, I appreciate the gesture. I’ve read your take on the headphones and totally get it. If a halfway decent open-back wireless headset (or even headphones I could pair with a mod mic wireless) existed, that’s what I would have bought instead.

For me, the wireless functionality is what I need more than anything else. I just really need to test the range/signal strength of these because I’m going to be sitting about 12-15 feet away from the dongle in a room with other 2.4 devices.

I sit about 2 feet from my dongle and I’m about 8 feet away from my access point. I’ve had 0 connection issues. I disconnect/drop audio if I go up a floor, but walking around the room I have no problems. I have about 25 2.4Ghz devices in my house all connected to that AP that sits 8 feet from me.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #3,667 of 7,191
I sit about 2 feet from my dongle and I’m about 8 feet away from my access point. I’ve had 0 connection issues. I disconnect/drop audio if I go up a floor, but walking around the room I have no problems. I have about 25 2.4Ghz devices in my house all connected to that AP that sits 8 feet from me.
Edit: I re-read what you wrote and the moving around the room without issue is actually encouraging. This thread’s comments though make me feel like range and stability of the connection is entirely YMMV so we will have to see how it works in my setup. All I really want at this point is to complete my totally wireless setup (mouse, keyboard, comms) and play PC games on my OLED from the couch.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #3,670 of 7,191
Just had confirmation from DPD that my Penrose X will be here tomorrow. Not seen anyone else in the UK confirm they have these yet. For all their ignoring of my emails and tweets, I'll be glad to finally hang up the Turtle Beach temps I've been using while I wait for these.

First Planar headset I've owned. Excited to see how they are. Just a shame I cannot adjust or anything until the mac app is here.

On that note, @Audeze if you need a beta tester I'm happy to trial and feedback. I work in mobile app dev so familiar with the dev process etc.

Dec 22, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #3,672 of 7,191
Anyone else here who ordered from CMA Audio? Really disappointed as they did not answer a single mail.
Penrose can be ordered on Amazon already. Only reason I’m not ordering there is, that I fear they won’t cancel
I ordered from CMA too and hoped to have the Penrose X before christmas... probably wont happen any more as CMA is somewhere close to austria and 700km away.

When asking for a possible delivery date I got this answer on 2020-12-13:
"die Auslieferung des neuen Audeze Penrose hat sich vom Hersteller leider immer weiter verzögert. Viele von Ihnen warten schon seit Wochen und Monaten sehnsüchtig auf diesen neuen Kopfhörer der Extraklasse.

Wir haben nun am vergangenen Freitag die Nachricht von Audeze aus Los Angeles erhalten, dass die erste Sendung Penrose auf dem Weg nach Deutschland ist. Beim Penrose X ist mittlerweile die Microsoft Zertifizierung erfolgreich umgesetzt. Die erste Lieferung zu uns erfolgt in den nächsten Tagen.

Wir werden alles daran setzen, Ihnen Ihr Headset noch pünktlich von den Weihnachtsfeiertagen zu liefern."

Short Version For the bulk of you, who are probably not speaking german :)
"the first Delivery from audeze should arrive within the next days, we are hopping to deliver before 24th"

Has anyone in germany already received the Penrose X?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #3,673 of 7,191
Does Xbox party chat put any filters on your mic audio? I used the mic for the first time yesterday and got some pretty immediate feedback that it sounded like I was talking through a tin can.
Made some quick recordings via voice recorder on windows and it sounds completely fine to me. Both instances had the headphones connected wirelessly via the dongle.

Dec 22, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #3,674 of 7,191
Does Xbox party chat put any filters on your mic audio? I used the mic for the first time yesterday and got some pretty immediate feedback that it sounded like I was talking through a tin can.
Made some quick recordings via voice recorder on windows and it sounds completely fine to me. Both instances had the headphones connected wirelessly via the dongle.
The mic is touchy. Best advice I can give is to remove the pop filter and make sure you have the correct side of the mic facing you. Once that is done play with the distance from your mouth

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #3,675 of 7,191
My Penrose (PS5) mic is completely dead in BT-mode...
Any suggestions? No its not muted, tried different gain levers, works in wireless mode. Latest firmware. Windows recognize it but zero sound. Ios doesnt recognize it.

Hi Forceberg,

Things to check (all on the Audeze site)

1) you've plugged into the mic socket not the aux input.
2) the mic switch is up on the headset. Mine took a few goes before it loosened up
3) go into windows by control panel, ensure you have selected as input.And then select sound control panel, goto the input devices and check in the input volume preferences that the mic is unmuted.

Note : Annoyingly these default to muted when disconnected and then reconnected. (I did mention to @Audeze UK support that this seems wrong. This coupled with the issue with such a short power saving timeout causes both to become an annoyance rather than a feature because it means you need to navigate to unmute your mic in control panel every 30 mins )

To check..?
1) use the AudezeHQ app and see if enabling the loopback and then bumping mic audio enables you to hear yourself. Note even on max the feedback is subtle. Note you need to be not using the windows control panel when doing this as inadvertently highlighting another audio device, even without opening, causes the headset to stop. I guess headphone grabs an exclusive mode?

While here you can change the mic gain. Either from headset wheel or in the app.
(For those complaining about sensitivity of the wheel you'll see why here... The wheel and app both go in steps of 22)

2) try the windows sound control panel, goto the input devices and set headset to listen to the mic through a playback device. Note you cannot use Penrose headset mic as input but playing back the captured audio out via Penrose stereo headphones mode, only . You can select playback device either as Penrose headset, or a completely different device. Say your PC loudspeaker or another headset entirely.

I suspect relates to headset grabbing the audio service exclusively and either headphone or headset protocol can be used, not both at same time. I've not tried turning off exclusivity in control panel.

I'll let you guess which one of the above I did wrong and nearly repacked to send back before I realised.

Chris

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back