Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 15, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #3,301 of 7,191
In the current state its pretty useless.. Soon as u connect them both the volume of the wifi connection goes to pretty much 0. Maybe this can be easily fixed on PC, but on PS5 the whole function is useless right now. Ive asked Audeze through support if they can patch this (make the default more balanced and give seperate volume options in the android/pc app), but so far haven't gotten a response. If I do get a reaction from @Audeze I will of course inform you through this topic as well.
This is my experience as well. Dual connectivity was enticing but quite useless in practice. Some people stated that the wireless volume only drops when the bluetooth connection outputs audio, but I don't find that to be the case - wireless volume drops immediately as soon as bluetooth connection is detected. Plus since they're on the same volume/gain setting (and mysteriously the volume seems to be balanced more toward higher bluetooth audio), I find this functionality harmful to my ears if I just raised the volume.

After speaking with Audeze, they did say they were looking into it, which brings me some hope. No concrete answer though.
" This has been requested by a few users now, and is something we're taking under consideration. I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive answer on this one as it's uncertain if it's possible at this time, but we're definitely looking at it. "

PS:
Audeze, if you are reading this... I hope you don't have anything to do with the guy running the reddit community r/gaming_headsets. The sole moderator there has been doing some really weird crap around this product release that doesn't help your brand at all. First, he pushed the headset on anyone asking for wireless months ago without even having tested them himself; he even pinned the topic at the top of the subreddit weeks before anybody had a pair. From what I can tell, the guy doesn't even have a pair yet and yet he is still shilling on your product to everyone he can. More importantly though, he's been deleting outspoken negative experiences or comparisons to competitors that folks are posting there. That's not a good look at all.
That subreddit is an absolute joke. The one sole moderator deletes critical messages, attacks others who post reviews if they don't agree with him, and labels all other competing headsets as <insert vulgarity for fecal matter>. He doesn't even have the Penrose but he's sure it's the second coming of the Messiah apparently. Many subreddits are run in this manner by moderators on power trips, but it's still sad to see. I doubt he has any connection with Audeze though.

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #3,302 of 7,191
In fairness that subreddit has had a ‘I’m right, your wrong’ theme running through it from way before the Penrose. Whenever a headphone is mentioned that someone likes - unless it’s one of the mods recommended sets - you just get shot down and told its plain awful.

I’ve given up trying to get useful information from that place now

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #3,303 of 7,191
In the current state its pretty useless.. Soon as u connect them both the volume of the wifi connection goes to pretty much 0. Maybe this can be easily fixed on PC, but on PS5 the whole function is useless right now. Ive asked Audeze through support if they can patch this (make the default more balanced and give seperate volume options in the android/pc app), but so far haven't gotten a response. If I do get a reaction from @Audeze I will of course inform you through this topic as well.

Thank you. I would have bought the Arctis Pro Wireless for this feature alone (which works well from what I've told), but the sound and hardware seems to be pretty crappy.

Dec 15, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #3,304 of 7,191
That subreddit is an absolute joke. The one sole moderator deletes critical messages, attacks others who post reviews if they don't agree with him, and labels all other competing headsets as <insert vulgarity for fecal matter>. He doesn't even have the Penrose but he's sure it's the second coming of the Messiah apparently. Many subreddits are run in this manner by moderators on power trips, but it's still sad to see. I doubt he has any connection with Audeze though.

I also doubt they are connected but when that guy's mega thread is the third link on google for "Audeze Penrose"...above resellers and legitimate reviews...well that just isn't an association I'd want anything to do with if it were my brand.

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #3,305 of 7,191
This is my experience as well. Dual connectivity was enticing but quite useless in practice. Some people stated that the wireless volume only drops when the bluetooth connection outputs audio, but I don't find that to be the case - wireless volume drops immediately as soon as bluetooth connection is detected. Plus since they're on the same volume/gain setting (and mysteriously the volume seems to be balanced more toward higher bluetooth audio), I find this functionality harmful to my ears if I just raised the volume.

Mine actually drops first when connecting but an insane amount more when I start playing media (youtube, get a call or discord).

@Audeze has to fix this in my opinion as the website states that you can call on discord while keeping game sound, which is definetly not the case right now. Ive even played around with Absolute volume control but Discord actually brings the sound of the PS5 down so insane much that having both PS5 and headphones on full volume leads to crackling and whisper-level of sound. Still unplayable.

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #3,306 of 7,191
Literally disconnected 5 times during 1 12 minute Youtube video today. These headphones are going to be returned. Extremely unhappy with the issues I am having withy these. I have never experienced these issues with any of the other 5 or more wireless headsets I have used.

Dec 15, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #3,307 of 7,191
As a PSA for those who ordered the Penrose X directly from Audeze, I received tracking information via email this morning.

I pre-ordered on the last day, November 12th, so my shipment is coming from China. Those who ordered the Penrose X directly from Audeze between Nov 12 - Dec 7 will have their headset shipped from China (Hong Kong) using UPS international priority shipping.

While my shipment is in transit, there is no indication regarding an expected delivery date on the tracking site. I have reached out to Audeze shipping for additional information and will post again once I know more.

Edit: added more details for clarity.

Received this email from Audeze this afternoon at 4:29pm (Eastern):

"Your Penrose X Shipment is Underway
This morning you should have received your tracking number from our Hong Kong fulfillment center, SFC. These units were shipped directly from China by Hong Kong UPS International Express, and currently awaiting customs clearance in Hong Kong. Once your headphones have cleared customs you should also receive a UPS tracking number which will keep you up to date on the rest of your headphones' journey!"

Note, this only applies to folks who ordered the Penrose X directly from Audeze between Nov 12 and Dec 7.

Kudos to @Audeze for following through with International Express shipping! Excited to get the headset and with the stated shipping method (taking into consideration customs on both sides, I'm in Canada) it's very likely that I'll receive the headset before Christmas as promised.

Hopefully everyone gets their headset soon. Cheers.

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #3,308 of 7,191
Thank you. I would have bought the Arctis Pro Wireless for this feature alone (which works well from what I've told), but the sound and hardware seems to be pretty crappy.
Just received a very long response to my request (thanks Audeze!)

The most important phrase being the first one:
"Thanks for reaching out. The Bluetooth/wireless volume mix must be pre-set by the firmware and unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be a way for us to allow variable input on this function. We have heard some customer feedback about the volume levels not being ideal, and our software team is looking into the possibility of setting a different level, but this will come in the form of a future firmware update."

They also gave tips to change the volume independently for Windows or in my case (android) by disabling absolute volume control.

Biggest problem in regard to discord is that it uses the "call function" of the phone, which reduces the sound even more than media (which is logical and is mostly the mistake of Discord. I checked around the internet but unfortunately Discord doesn't seem to offer any solution for this ☹️ ). This is something Audeze of course cant help.

Im hopefull Audeze will indeed change the balance in a future firmware update, considering how fast they have solved some of the other problems people adressed.

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #3,310 of 7,191
Haven't have much time to spend with my Penrose. But I can share a couple things.

Sound quality - great, simply great. I used to use Stellia, DT1990 and Razer Nari to do meatings, music and games while on the computer and Penrose is a great swiss army knife that I don't regret at all getting rid of the others. Details and low end is great.
Connections/controls - still a bit annoying, but not even close to Mobius. Much better.
Build quality - as Mobius, amazing. Not as a tank like Stellia and DT1990, but much better than Razer. (That blue ring on the pads... please offer a full black version)
Cons - I can hear the hiss people have complaining, is not annoying for me. Is like any other gaming headset or almost any headphone connected directly to the notebook directly. I don't care about chat mix on the go as well, never used and maybe never will. I do the mix on the system and forget it.

Would I still recomend the Penrose? Hell yeah. Gaming is secondary for me, so at this price and features for general use, I definitely recommend.

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #3,311 of 7,191
Received this email from Audeze this afternoon at 4:29pm (Eastern):

"Your Penrose X Shipment is Underway
This morning you should have received your tracking number from our Hong Kong fulfillment center, SFC. These units were shipped directly from China by Hong Kong UPS International Express, and currently awaiting customs clearance in Hong Kong. Once your headphones have cleared customs you should also receive a UPS tracking number which will keep you up to date on the rest of your headphones' journey!"

Note, this only applies to folks who ordered the Penrose X directly from Audeze between Nov 12 and Dec 7.

Kudos to @Audeze for following through with International Express shipping! Excited to get the headset and with the stated shipping method (taking into consideration customs on both sides, I'm in Canada) it's very likely that I'll receive the headset before Christmas as promised.

Hopefully everyone gets their headset soon. Cheers.
Thanks for sharing the email. It's good to see that Penrose X folks are finally getting tracking information even if it is international shipping. On the stream last week, they said they expected to have their Penrose X batch for earlier orders arrive at their facility no later than today (Tuesday). My order went through on September 22nd, so I'm expecting to hear something by Thursday at the latest.

It would be kind of ridiculous if these things end up shipping direct from China faster than they do domestically for people who ordered months earlier...

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #3,313 of 7,191
Just received a very long response to my request (thanks Audeze!)

The most important phrase being the first one:
"Thanks for reaching out. The Bluetooth/wireless volume mix must be pre-set by the firmware and unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be a way for us to allow variable input on this function. We have heard some customer feedback about the volume levels not being ideal, and our software team is looking into the possibility of setting a different level, but this will come in the form of a future firmware update."

They also gave tips to change the volume independently for Windows or in my case (android) by disabling absolute volume control.

Biggest problem in regard to discord is that it uses the "call function" of the phone, which reduces the sound even more than media (which is logical and is mostly the mistake of Discord. I checked around the internet but unfortunately Discord doesn't seem to offer any solution for this ☹️ ). This is something Audeze of course cant help.

Im hopefull Audeze will indeed change the balance in a future firmware update, considering how fast they have solved some of the other problems people adressed.

If it can't be user controlled it needs to be 50-50. No other number makes sense. Everyone is going to have a personal request but without a user option it has to be 50/50. How they arrived at the current 90% BT 10% wireless I have no idea

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #3,314 of 7,191
If it can't be user controlled it needs to be 50-50. No other number makes sense. Everyone is going to have a personal request but without a user option it has to be 50/50. How they arrived at the current 90% BT 10% wireless I have no idea

Honestly, if this is the case I may cancel my preorder from July. The main reason I chose this headset over all of the others is this feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back