Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 15, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #3,286 of 7,191
Penrose X - We just got Microsoft approval. We will provide shipping details next week.

The Penrose X units will have new firmware when users receive them. We will send a shipping update shortly.

Does anyone know what the latest is with these? Have I missed the shipping updates that have been promised a few times but not delivered?

I've been patient, my money was taken four months ago now. I fear we are now looking at a January delivery at best. My headphones I'm using a really crap. I really want to hold out but another month of waiting is going to be painful.

Edit: The website says these are available. But I've not heard anything in here about people receiving them?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #3,287 of 7,191
Does anyone know what the latest is with these? Have I missed the shipping updates that have been promised a few times but not delivered?

I've been patient, my money was taken four months ago now. I fear we are now looking at a January delivery at best. My headphones I'm using a really crap. I really want to hold out but another month of waiting is going to be painful.

Edit: The website says these are available. But I've not heard anything in here about people receiving them?

Ready to be shipped waiting for shipping company to collect. Thats what I was told on Sunday.

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #3,288 of 7,191
Update from a 6 hour gaming session last night. Only removed them twice for quick toilet breaks.

For gaming, the bass is more than enough. I will try the EQ laid out for gaming a couple of pages ago as I also feel the mids can get a little loud. I have covered music before so wont comment there again.

Not a single dropout.

Now the downside. They are uncomfy after about 4 hours in for me. I do feel the spot at the very center of the top of my head, the only place that the tiny, thin headband makes contact and therefore the only point which takes all of the cans weight. But that is not the worst part. I got a mild jaw pain where they were clamping too tightly from the sidecups. This was only present after hours of use, but putting on my other cans and they feel like you have just put a pillow around your head.

We need to find some way to improve the comfort. A wider contact patch at the very top and of course, a slight elongation of the width. I imagine these would fit a child excellently right now.
I posted about the dekoni nuggets a few pages back. They helped tremendously with comfort. I know that’s not the cheapest solution, but it worked for me. I have no comment on the jaw pain though since I haven’t experienced that.

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #3,289 of 7,191
As a PSA for those who ordered the Penrose X directly from Audeze, I received tracking information via email this morning.

I pre-ordered on the last day, November 12th, so my shipment is coming from China. Those who ordered the Penrose X directly from Audeze between Nov 12 - Dec 7 will have their headset shipped from China (Hong Kong) using UPS international priority shipping.

While my shipment is in transit, there is no indication regarding an expected delivery date on the tracking site. I have reached out to Audeze shipping for additional information and will post again once I know more.

Edit: added more details for clarity.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #3,291 of 7,191
I’ve ordered some Dekoni nuggets to try to sort out my comfort issues on top of my head and a USB hub and extension cord to try to assist with connectivity. Not sure what to do about the isolation/balance issue and presume at some point I’ll also have to order some Dekoni ear pads to combat heat/comfort issues. It’s just as well these sound good because this is not a cheap exercise!

Dec 15, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #3,292 of 7,191
I've tested and I can confirm that even with the mic, the left side isolates less. However, the sound from the actual driver sounds identical on both sides.

I've tried numerous (albeit simple) tests and for balance, I don't find this at all with my set - I'm finding pretty much identical isolation from both (currently with mic in).

Dec 15, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #3,293 of 7,191

I received my tracking from SFC services at 5am EST this morning.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #3,296 of 7,191
my issue now is with both bluetooth+wireless connected and i hear from both of them on the same time.

i get distortion after about 50-60 minute and wont resolve until i restart the headset...i do this every houre for the entire day!!

i hope someone else test this issue with his penrose.

everyone hear posted no dropout are using one audio source at a time OR (audio frome wireless and chat from bluetooth)

has anyone tried both sources playing audio all the time for more than an hour?

didn't see a post saying they all the time actually hearing audio from both sources and don't experience dropouts connection.

i hope i am not alone, if so my device maybe defective.

do you think maybe its heat from the components after this kind of use?

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #3,297 of 7,191
My Penrose X order from July 22, 2020 still shows as unfulfilled.

I'm a bit concerned with all the issues I've been reading about. My main concern is the simulataneous bluetooth(phone)+2.4ghz(PC) issues.. that is my main use case of being able to use them both simultaneously.

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #3,298 of 7,191
My Penrose X order from July 22, 2020 still shows as unfulfilled.

I'm a bit concerned with all the issues I've been reading about. My main concern is the simulataneous bluetooth(phone)+2.4ghz(PC) issues.. that is my main use case of being able to use them both simultaneously.

In the current state its pretty useless.. Soon as u connect them both the volume of the wifi connection goes to pretty much 0. Maybe this can be easily fixed on PC, but on PS5 the whole function is useless right now. Ive asked Audeze through support if they can patch this (make the default more balanced and give seperate volume options in the android/pc app), but so far haven't gotten a response. If I do get a reaction from @Audeze I will of course inform you through this topic as well.

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #3,299 of 7,191
Hi guys I received these last weekend and so far am pretty disappointed. I am having tons of audio drop outs where the headset disconnects from my pc and I am greeted with the annoying voice ‘headset connected’. The range is also very poor. Much worse than my £50 PS headset.

this is making the headset pretty much useless to be honest

after such a long wait I expected much more. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

More importantly has anyone found a fix?

Dec 15, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #3,300 of 7,191
my issue now is with both bluetooth+wireless connected and i hear from both of them on the same time.

i get distortion after about 50-60 minute and wont resolve until i restart the headset...i do this every houre for the entire day!!

i hope someone else test this issue with his penrose.

everyone hear posted no dropout are using one audio source at a time OR (audio frome wireless and chat from bluetooth)

has anyone tried both sources playing audio all the time for more than an hour?

didn't see a post saying they all the time actually hearing audio from both sources and don't experience dropouts connection.

i hope i am not alone, if so my device maybe defective.

do you think maybe its heat from the components after this kind of use?

I doubt it's heat. If I had to speculate, it may be interference from both connections being on the 2.4 GHz band. Given all the range and connection issues some folks are having with the wireless dongle...I wouldn't be surprised if the headphone somehow manages to interfere with itself when trying to do both BT and wireless connections simultaneously.

-------
On a related note:
I may eat my words when I finally get my Penrose X to try, but the more experiences I read online the more I'm starting to suspect owning these cans for the foreseeable future will be like running an IT Start Up's beta software. Obviously there is reporting bias with negative experiences, but there is still A LOT of issues being discussed and the live stream answers haven't been super encouraging. For example, when asked the stream guys said they are aware of potential 2.4 GHz interference and range issues but they haven't been able to replicate it in their testing. They then tried to deflect by ranting about how some chinese review site tested them and got better range than advertised! I can't even imagine what will happen if any of the reported issues end up related to hardware flaws...no telling if a company of their size would even financially take on RMA's, let alone how long it would take if they did.

I do respect that they are small and trying to stand behind their product as best they can, but I think there will be a lot of owners like myself who need a flawless wireless experience out of the box and only bought these for the chance at having decent SQ on top of that desired wireless experience. I know if I experience disconnects/bad range and the reportedly poor comfort for big heads like mine (size 7 3/4 hat), then these will be headed right back to Audeze.

------
PS:
Audeze, if you are reading this... I hope you don't have anything to do with the guy running the reddit community r/gaming_headsets. The sole moderator there has been doing some really weird crap around this product release that doesn't help your brand at all. First, he pushed the headset on anyone asking for wireless months ago without even having tested them himself; he even pinned the topic at the top of the subreddit weeks before anybody had a pair. From what I can tell, the guy doesn't even have a pair yet and yet he is still shilling on your product to everyone he can. More importantly though, he's been deleting outspoken negative experiences or comparisons to competitors that folks are posting there. That's not a good look at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back