Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 14, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #3,271 of 7,191
Hi,

I've not been able to fix my imbalance issue. I even tried swapping the earpads but the problem remains the same, there's definitely something wrong with my unit.
I'm still waiting for Audeze's response regarding my issue but in the meantime I'll just send them back.
No one is noticing a difference between left and right cup? I can ear even when headphones are off, the isolation is not the same.

Hi there,

I have the same issues.
For me, the isolation from the left side is weaker than the right side. I clealry can hear more external sounds from the left side.

Besides that, the sound is unbalanced as well ( testing with and without earpads ).

For me, using Aux and Bluetooth I'm able to use the "balance" button to calibrate both sides, I have to use something between 90/100 or something to fell that centered.

The main problem right now is that I cannot do that using Wirleess more which is the main use for me... And I cannot return the parcel due to be in another country($$$).

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #3,274 of 7,191
Hi there,

I have the same issues.
For me, the isolation from the left side is weaker than the right side. I clealry can hear more external sounds from the left side.

Besides that, the sound is unbalanced as well ( testing with and without earpads ).

For me, using Aux and Bluetooth I'm able to use the "balance" button to calibrate both sides, I have to use something between 90/100 or something to fell that centered.

The main problem right now is that I cannot do that using Wirleess more which is the main use for me... And I cannot return the parcel due to be in another country($$$).

Made an account just to say that I have this imbalance issue on my pair too. Getting it sent back to my retailer to hopefully get a replacement pair without the issue. I'm certain it was a driver issue as the imbalance (left side louder, right side quieter) flipped when I flipped the headphones.

Edit: My pair also has the issue of playing a sound similar to whistling wind when nothing else is playing. This didn't bother me too much as it was very quiet, but I think it's worth mentioning.

On a more positive note, huge thanks to Hifiheadphones for the quick turn around last week. This was my first time using them and my experience with everything so far has been excellent :relaxed:.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #3,276 of 7,191
Ok, bit more listening on these, and actually, the bass is incredible. But, on some songs, certain sounds definitely have more 'punch' on my DT990 pros.

For example: Fischerspooner, Emerge:

The hits starting at 47s have an impact on the DT990s that the Penrose don't have.

But, the bass in the first 30 seconds of Ratatat: Dura - the low sub bass is barely there on the DT990's but on the penrose it's there, full and rich and tight.

The bass at 30s on this track, wow. The penrose makes my head vibrate, like when standing next to a massive speaker at a gig and you can feel your whole body vibrating, similar to that. Sounds completely different to the DT990s.

WOW! Very impressive basses on that 3rd song! I can feel it in my head lol.
Weirdly I can feel the "rumble" a little more on the left side, you too?

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #3,277 of 7,191
He.

QQ to fellow v Penrose owners has anyone noticed vent holes on the right driver either side of the hinge but not in the left.
What are they for?v did the Mobius have the same?

Either way, c so far happy customer and perfect balance between wireless speed and sound ( for my ears ).

The rear cups are a little toasty. Does anyone have experience of the cloth cups for the Mobius?

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #3,278 of 7,191
Wow great. My Penrose won't turn on anymore. Left it charging overnight and the light came on to indicate charging. Unplugged it when I woke up in the morning, got off work, and now it won't even turn on. Even tried doing a force reboot on the headset and still won't turn on. Not to mention I ordered the carbon ear replacement pads 2.5 weeks ago and still not even a tracking number or sign of shipment. Sigh....

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #3,280 of 7,191
Hi there,

I have the same issues.

That's unfortunate... I hope you'll be able to get them replaced anyway.
And yes isolation is clearly way weaker in the left cup... I'm now pretty sure that this is a design flaw. They added some vent holes on the right cup to balance with the left one but clearly this is not enough. I don't think I had drivers imbalance on mine but this is pretty hard to tell because of this left cup being way more open.

Had to send mine back, really wanted to like them but I just can't stand the imbalance.

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #3,282 of 7,191
Anyone else still getting the whooshing noise with the update? It's occasional, but I do notice it from time to time in the left can.
I noticed a sporadic whoosh/wind effect after I updated to the new firmware when listening to music with quiet spots. Music whoosh was while connected via bluetooth. It's almost not perceptible, and today I didn't notice it at all. I hope they can tweak to remove it for quiet music. So far I have not experienced the other issues and am very pleased with the headphones overall because of the sound quality. I do not notice any imbalance between left and right on my set.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #3,284 of 7,191
Update from a 6 hour gaming session last night. Only removed them twice for quick toilet breaks.

For gaming, the bass is more than enough. I will try the EQ laid out for gaming a couple of pages ago as I also feel the mids can get a little loud. I have covered music before so wont comment there again.

Not a single dropout.

Now the downside. They are uncomfy after about 4 hours in for me. I do feel the spot at the very center of the top of my head, the only place that the tiny, thin headband makes contact and therefore the only point which takes all of the cans weight. But that is not the worst part. I got a mild jaw pain where they were clamping too tightly from the sidecups. This was only present after hours of use, but putting on my other cans and they feel like you have just put a pillow around your head.

We need to find some way to improve the comfort. A wider contact patch at the very top and of course, a slight elongation of the width. I imagine these would fit a child excellently right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back