Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 13, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #3,241 of 7,191
I wonder if this is a common thread for those of us with connection issues. I also run a Ubiquiti AMPLIFI mesh network connected with several smart devices, which I’m sure makes us more prone to interference than most people.

I just hope Audeze listens and implements firmware that allows us to trade some latency for increased stability if possible; theoretically it should be possible since other WiFi headsets have no issue in my home but it’s not clear if it’s something that can resolved via firmware or if it’s a hardware issue.

Audeze fixed a lot of common complaints with the past firmware update so if they promise they will address this too, I for one will take their word on it.

That could very well be, it would be an interesting discussion for sure. I run 3x wired AC-LITE's back to a Ubiquiti 24 port POE switch. They work well with even some of my little weird devices that can often have issues with combined SSID's. Besides that I don't think I have a very unique household. About 30 active WiFi devices between Google Mini's, TVs, laptops/desktops, phones, thermostats, cameras, etc.

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #3,243 of 7,191
Here are my thoughts having used them over the weekend for music and gaming, at a PC. My first set of planars.

Sound quality: Brilliant. I wish for a bit more bass but I am a basshead.
Range: For me in my house, very short. Disconnect before I leave the room. Not a problem for me.
Background noise: Present, tiny, not a problem. Coming from home HIFI systems with giant class A amps, I am tolerant to this.
Comfort. This is still up in the air. I need a decent 6 hour gaming session before I can commit to giving thoughts here. But immediately upon putting them on, they are less comfy than my others. Not uncomfy, just less.
Gaming: Need more time in call of duty before I comment properly, but so far they are great.

Wishes:
Windows volume control. I use the buttons on my keyboard to adjust volume. Would be great if I could continue to do so.
A reduction to background noise would be nice but not essential.
Pad replacement. Long term I will look to do the pad mod that has been suggested elsewhere. With very short hair I go through pads very quickly.
Battery level indication. In ear prompt to alert every 10% reduction would be a nice thing. Or some other way to know without having to take them off. Without a decent way to know how much juice is remaining, its like electric cars and range anxiety!! Except having no indication of how much charge you have left :)

These are a keeper for me. The only reason I would consider sending them back for, is to upgrade to another Audeze pair. LCD2?! :)

Have you tried adjusting the EQ? I've had mine for a bit and played with EQ for fun after the FW update. You can turn these into bass monsters. The drivers can move enough air to the point where it feels like the cups have transducers.

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #3,244 of 7,191
Have you tried adjusting the EQ? I've had mine for a bit and played with EQ for fun after the FW update. You can turn these into bass monsters. The drivers can move enough air to the point where it feels like the cups have transducers.
Of course, I forgot to mention. I always play with EQ.

I will also add, the bass CAN go big, but only when the overall volume is higher than I would typical listen at.

Just so its clear, I think the bass extension is great. And the bass isn't bad in quantity either, just for my preference I want more :)

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #3,245 of 7,191
Okay so a few impressions after only about 3-4 hours using Penrose. All experience on the up-to-date FW as I hooked them up to HQ as soon as I received them.

- Sound Quality is phenomenal. I'm an audio amateur, and I plan on looking into a few of the suggestions you guys put up to get an ear for soundstage and what not, but in a bit of listening to some of my favourite music tracks (Pearl Jam, Metallica, Nirvana etc.) even on a LQ bitrate stream (Prime Music) I could tell an immediate difference. Clarity, no 'muddiness' in the bass (unless it was an old mix), able to pick out individual instruments easily, hear lyrics clearly.

PS5 experience was very similar, played a few hours of Miles Morales and the sound was excellent. I played with 3D Audio on, may have a go at Stereo soon just to see what kind of difference it makes.

- These things get LOUD. Using PS5 sound setting, up to max, then using the headset wheel to crank it up even more, nearly blew my head off haha.

- Fit/Comfort: These things are definitely a little tight. I've got some hair up top but even still that top band could use a better cushioning. Clamp force is pretty noticeable, but not enough to ruin my experience and I appreciate it's something that will eventually resolve with more wear.

- No issues with connection, but I'm sat 3-6 feet away from PS5 in direct line of sight with only a handful of devices sharing network in the same room.

- I've yet to test the mic, so I can't comment on that right now.

All in all I'm really impressed so far, and hopefully, as time goes on some of the shortcomings identified in this forum can be addressed.

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #3,247 of 7,191
I can understand the odd crackle or whatnot when bt/wireless but why would I get it when using aux? Tried two different cables (included and another) using Spotify, plugged into Creative g6. It's not particularly frequent.

Very impressed with the audio quality aside from that currently, going to try some flacs later to eliminate network issue. I enjoy the tightness of them, the Arctis 7P would fall off if I sneezed.

Listened to 3 offline files and no issues so I cant say it was the headset.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #3,248 of 7,191
I can understand the odd crackle or whatnot when bt/wireless but why would I get it when using aux? Tried two different cables (included and another) using Spotify, plugged into Creative g6. It's not particularly frequent.

Very impressed with the audio quality aside from that currently, going to try some flacs later to eliminate network issue. I enjoy the tightness of them, the Arctis 7P would fall off if I sneezed.

Listened to 3 offline files and no issues so I cant say it was the headset.

I hear intermediate click/pop on my left cup as well. It's not very frequent but I can definitely hear it and this is exclusive to Penrose, I never experience this issue on my other wireless gaming headset, it sort of a click/pop sound that the audio clipped.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #3,249 of 7,191
Penrose x units are packed and ready to be shipped, just waiting on shipping company to collect. I asked the question with regards to uk orders.

If Penrose shipments are anything to go by they'll end up in the UK in around a week's time (once they finally leave Audeze), and then start to trickle to customers the following week. Due to holidays eyc that probably means 1st week in January.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #3,250 of 7,191
I hear intermediate click/pop on my left cup as well. It's not very frequent but I can definitely hear it and this is exclusive to Penrose, I never experience this issue on my other wireless gaming headset, it sort of a click/pop sound that the audio clipped.
Interesting, if this is a separate issue from the wireless stability, I hope it's something Audeze can fix with firmware. Perhaps something related to their aggressive automatic gain adjustment? I get small dropouts but it's rare if I just sit still on the couch; the crackle is more common, so if that can be fixed, I'd consider that a big win :)

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #3,251 of 7,191
Interesting, if this is a separate issue from the wireless stability, I hope it's something Audeze can fix with firmware. Perhaps something related to their aggressive automatic gain adjustment? I get small dropouts but it's rare if I just sit still on the couch; the crackle is more common, so if that can be fixed, I'd consider that a big win :)

I do not have any wireless drop out anymore after I put the dongle at the back of my PS5, instead of via an USB switcher (which is a shame, it would be much easier to switch between PC and PS5 if I can do that as I did with any other wireless headset)
I do think the crackle is fixable, the DAC inside probably have some sort of limiter built-in, they can program it into hard clipping or give it a little bit more time for lookahead, the current setting probably too aggressive in order to achieve the lowest latency.

Penrose does have the poorest transmission range I ever experienced in a gaming headset, I game in my rather small man cave (150 sq. ft) With my other headsets I can still have a clear audio signal inside of the washroom in my man cave, Penrose loses audio signal right after I passed the washroom door and the lady inside of my Penrose keep shouting connected...connected...connected...connected...connected...roughly 2-second interval.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #3,252 of 7,191
I will have the penrose x coming in the very near future. I've had a lot of different wireless headphones for xbox (never been truly happy with any of them) so I will give it a thorough run through. My house has roughly 23 - 2.4Ghz wifi devices (mostly smart home), so it will be interesting to see what happens, especially because I have an AP about 6 feet from me on the ceiling where I game. Hoping to get shipping info soon as I will be in the batch coming from their HQ.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #3,253 of 7,191
Thanks for your impressions. For your last point, I once again wants to emphasize that just because you or others are lucky enough to have stability with your wireless connection, it doesn’t invalidate the many others (including myself) that do have issues. I have stated several times that I am comparing with two other headphones that use the 2.4ghz wireless band: Sony Pulse 3D and Steelseries Arctis 7P. I have no such stability issues with either of these headphones, even if I walk several meters away from the dongle. The Arctis gets static or crackling even if I turn my head to the left :/

Audeze has informed me that they had to make a compromise between wireless latency and stability and they are looking into the balance. For someone who is perfectly fine with the 40ms of latency provided by aptX low latency codec, I hope that they can provide an option for someone like me to lose slight (and personally imperceptible) latency for greater wireless stability. It’s obviously possible since the two other wireless 2.4ghz headphones I’ve tried have superior stability.

Penrose has wonderful Bluetooth connection though. Any news when they will support AAC codec?

Isn't AAC built into the Bluetooth module? Strange that it needs an update to work. So when I stream music via tidal, am I correct in saying that it's transmitting via SBC?

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #3,254 of 7,191
Isn't AAC built into the Bluetooth module? Strange that it needs an update to work. So when I stream music via tidal, am I correct in saying that it's transmitting via SBC?
AAC support is coming in a future firmware, apparently.

According to Audeze regarding the latest firmware:
The major bug fixes of this firmware version are as follows:
  • Improved mic clarity in Wireless mode
  • Fixed a bug causing a “wind” noise when playing at low volume.
  • Improves the noise floor of the headphones
  • Adds 5 presets to the HQ software
  • Slightly lowered the voice prompt volume

What this firmware has not yet addressed:
  • AAC integration
  • Changing volume via Windows/Mac using software controls

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #3,255 of 7,191
Ok, bit more listening on these, and actually, the bass is incredible. But, on some songs, certain sounds definitely have more 'punch' on my DT990 pros.

For example: Fischerspooner, Emerge:

The hits starting at 47s have an impact on the DT990s that the Penrose don't have.

But, the bass in the first 30 seconds of Ratatat: Dura - the low sub bass is barely there on the DT990's but on the penrose it's there, full and rich and tight.

The bass at 30s on this track, wow. The penrose makes my head vibrate, like when standing next to a massive speaker at a gig and you can feel your whole body vibrating, similar to that. Sounds completely different to the DT990s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back