Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 13, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #3,226 of 7,191
I'll just add a few data points:
  • Used with PS5 for about 12 hours now
  • Turned off side-tone
  • Unobtrusive but noticeable background noise when no audio coming in. No different than all other wireless headphones I've tried
  • Battery recharge time was surprisingly long. LED indicator went from slow blink, to solid, to off over many hours.
  • No issues with comfort
  • No issues with disconnects or interference
Wishlist:
  • Some kind of battery level check (interesting that they ran for around 2 hours after the first audio "low battery" indicator)
  • User manual that doesn't embarrass itself trying to be cool. Just explain things clearly and add some diagrams.

As for WiFi/radio interference: it's a fact of life (or, more accurately, physics) that some environments are going to be harder to work in than others. If you're hearing disruptions on your wireless headphones, you can assume that all your other devices are also dealing with these disruptions and constantly having to adjust, it's just that you can't hear them doing it.

If you want to make the case that these headphones are sensitive to interference where other wireless devices not and are working correctly in your environment, make sure to compare against other headphones or audio devices using the 2.4GHz radio band - that will make a much stronger case.
Thanks for your impressions. For your last point, I once again wants to emphasize that just because you or others are lucky enough to have stability with your wireless connection, it doesn’t invalidate the many others (including myself) that do have issues. I have stated several times that I am comparing with two other headphones that use the 2.4ghz wireless band: Sony Pulse 3D and Steelseries Arctis 7P. I have no such stability issues with either of these headphones, even if I walk several meters away from the dongle. The Arctis gets static or crackling even if I turn my head to the left :/

Audeze has informed me that they had to make a compromise between wireless latency and stability and they are looking into the balance. For someone who is perfectly fine with the 40ms of latency provided by aptX low latency codec, I hope that they can provide an option for someone like me to lose slight (and personally imperceptible) latency for greater wireless stability. It’s obviously possible since the two other wireless 2.4ghz headphones I’ve tried have superior stability.

Penrose has wonderful Bluetooth connection though. Any news when they will support AAC codec?

Dec 13, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #3,227 of 7,191
I have stated several times that I am comparing with two other headphones that use the 2.4ghz wireless band: Sony Pulse 3D and Steelseries Arctis 7P. I have no such stability issues with either of these headphones, even if I walk several meters away from the dongle. The Arctis gets static or crackling even if I turn my head to the left :/

I wasn't referring specificially to you, but thanks for the detail. It certainly helps to know those others are working fine in your environment!

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #3,230 of 7,191
Thanks for your impressions. For your last point, I once again wants to emphasize that just because you or others are lucky enough to have stability with your wireless connection, it doesn’t invalidate the many others (including myself) that do have issues.

nobody is suggesting it invalidates other peoples bad experiences. They are just stating that they don’t have connection issues.

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #3,232 of 7,191
Audeze has informed me that they had to make a compromise between wireless latency and stability and they are looking into the balance. For someone who is perfectly fine with the 40ms of latency provided by aptX low latency codec, I hope that they can provide an option for someone like me to lose slight (and personally imperceptible) latency for greater wireless stability. It’s obviously possible since the two other wireless 2.4ghz headphones I’ve tried have superior stability.

I could certainly see how minimising latency would lead to interference causing more issues, however i don't think i've ever heard anyone that has used an Arctis headset complain about latency.. so there is surely a sweet spot between latency and stability that Steelseries have found and Audeze should be aiming for?

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #3,234 of 7,191
I'll just add a few data points:
  • Used with PS5 for about 12 hours now
  • Turned off side-tone
  • Unobtrusive but noticeable background noise when no audio coming in. No different than all other wireless headphones I've tried
  • Battery recharge time was surprisingly long. LED indicator went from slow blink, to solid, to off over many hours.
  • No issues with comfort
  • No issues with disconnects or interference
Wishlist:
  • Some kind of battery level check (interesting that they ran for around 2 hours after the first audio "low battery" indicator)
  • User manual that doesn't embarrass itself trying to be cool. Just explain things clearly and add some diagrams.

As for WiFi/radio interference: it's a fact of life (or, more accurately, physics) that some environments are going to be harder to work in than others. If you're hearing disruptions on your wireless headphones, you can assume that all your other devices are also dealing with these disruptions and constantly having to adjust, it's just that you can't hear them doing it.

If you want to make the case that these headphones are sensitive to interference where other wireless devices not and are working correctly in your environment, make sure to compare against other headphones or audio devices using the 2.4GHz radio band - that will make a much stronger case.
nobody is suggesting it invalidates other peoples bad experiences. They are just stating that they don’t have connection issues.
I could certainly see how minimising latency would lead to interference causing more issues, however i don't think i've ever heard anyone that has used an Arctis headset complain about latency.. so there is surely a sweet spot between latency and stability that Steelseries have found and Audeze should be aiming for?

So I have a pair of Arctis 7's (2017 model mind you, my tried and true dailies since I got them until recently where the headphones themselves keep randomly rebooting), Razer Blackshark V2 Pro Wireless, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless SE's and the Audeze Penrose, and for giggle's my son's MPOW Gaming Wireless Headphones (hey, works great for him as I know he will rage quit/throw them at some point! Ha! :D). Each of these headphones I can walk around my upstairs and into my kitchen downstairs with no clipping or disconnects until I get to the opposite edge of my kitchen. I can get up from my desk (middle of the upstairs floor plan) and walk to the other end of the floor to my master bathroom and back without a problem (18 feet walking distance, next to my office but a large shower in between). The Penrose using the same USB port in the same location as all the other dongles for each headphone, I can stand up, walk around the corner out of the office and about 4 feet (again, literally through the wall my desk slides up to) and the audio starts cutting out. A few more steps and 'Connected' starts repeating.

I do have 3 Ubiquiti Access Points (1 upstairs, one downstairs and one at the far end of the house) that run a wireless frequency scan every night at 3am and may (or may not) change channels on the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, and of course thermostats, 2 other desktops in the home, and countless other smaller wifi devices. These other headphones have zero issues with distance in the mix of all of these devices, but the Penrose can't make it 4 feet (or one wall) distance without a clip or disconnect, and I'd say 10 feet total before the audio is completely gone. A far cry from the "up to 32m" that was marketed and printed on the box.

I get everyone's mileage may vary, but thats a HUGE delta that other devices at a lesser cost can out perform a supposidly world class pair of headphones, that keeps coming up short and pre-orders (along with full price purchases like myself) are now having to make exceptions for based on comments provided in this thread by employees, Audeze themselves, and or people speaking to the CEO and various individuals. I LOVE the audio clarity, but I can't go 20-25 minutes without a "Connected" and I sit 2 feet away from the dongle, yet all these "inferior" units can. I think that's the rub.

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #3,236 of 7,191
Maybe some of us should keep quiet about our positive experiences.

By all means talk about the positive experiences... just remember how much you paid for the Penrose. For the money spent none of the issues being brought up should be a factor, and despite loving the headset for all it brings I can't help but question if I would spend the money if I had known of the issues that would arise.

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #3,237 of 7,191
Maybe some of us should keep quiet about our positive experiences.

I actually prefer seeing positive experiences, if I've learned anything from this thread is that some items as expressed by a community has been fixed rather quickly (whooshing noises, voice gate, level of audio tones, etc), which to me is fantastic. Also positive experiences show that it is indeed a great product. I'm not stating its not a great product, the fidelity is outstanding, as others have mentioned and as I have, as more of these are getting into peoples hands (and onto their heads) we are seeing a slow trend of issues that we HOPE can be resolved. My issue is the generic 'welp, turn off all your wifi devices, it'll work fine' type answers for a "premium" product has me frustrated. Or items that were marketed and then decided to be removed/not offered as "tough decisions" post marketing (when a majority of people bought into the product) is also tough to swallow. I'm an IT consultant, if I marketed, designed, sold a product (solution) and then deployed it as an less-than-advertised/sold/marketed-solution and frankly said 'eh, we designed it for that, you bought it as designed, but decided not to deploy it, sorry but thanks for your money', I'd be out of a job lol.

I'm trying to stay positive, but for what I bought it for (as it was marketed), its coming up short. Literally, I can't use it 4-5 feet past my PC, ha! Hoping by voicing concerns it can be addressed in the long run, as it seems Audeze is really only answering questions here, even if I do have to return it due to it not working the way I need it to (which is just how it was marketed). I have a support ticket that hasn't been commented on, prioritized, or tasked to someone in over 4 days, so that's another concerning factor as well (albeit, different topic entirely).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #3,238 of 7,191
So I have a pair of Arctis 7's (2017 model mind you, my tried and true dailies since I got them until recently where the headphones themselves keep randomly rebooting), Razer Blackshark V2 Pro Wireless, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless SE's and the Audeze Penrose, and for giggle's my son's MPOW Gaming Wireless Headphones (hey, works great for him as I know he will rage quit/throw them at some point! Ha! :D). Each of these headphones I can walk around my upstairs and into my kitchen downstairs with no clipping or disconnects until I get to the opposite edge of my kitchen. I can get up from my desk (middle of the upstairs floor plan) and walk to the other end of the floor to my master bathroom and back without a problem (18 feet walking distance, next to my office but a large shower in between). The Penrose using the same USB port in the same location as all the other dongles for each headphone, I can stand up, walk around the corner out of the office and about 4 feet (again, literally through the wall my desk slides up to) and the audio starts cutting out. A few more steps and 'Connected' starts repeating.

I do have 3 Ubiquiti Access Points (1 upstairs, one downstairs and one at the far end of the house) that run a wireless frequency scan every night at 3am and may (or may not) change channels on the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, and of course thermostats, 2 other desktops in the home, and countless other smaller wifi devices. These other headphones have zero issues with distance in the mix of all of these devices, but the Penrose can't make it 4 feet (or one wall) distance without a clip or disconnect, and I'd say 10 feet total before the audio is completely gone. A far cry from the "up to 32m" that was marketed and printed on the box.

I get everyone's mileage may vary, but thats a HUGE delta that other devices at a lesser cost can out perform a supposidly world class pair of headphones, that keeps coming up short and pre-orders (along with full price purchases like myself) are now having to make exceptions for based on comments provided in this thread by employees, Audeze themselves, and or people speaking to the CEO and various individuals. I LOVE the audio clarity, but I can't go 20-25 minutes without a "Connected" and I sit 2 feet away from the dongle, yet all these "inferior" units can. I think that's the rub.
I wonder if this is a common thread for those of us with connection issues. I also run a Ubiquiti AMPLIFI mesh network connected with several smart devices, which I’m sure makes us more prone to interference than most people.

I just hope Audeze listens and implements firmware that allows us to trade some latency for increased stability if possible; theoretically it should be possible since other WiFi headsets have no issue in my home but it’s not clear if it’s something that can resolved via firmware or if it’s a hardware issue.

Audeze fixed a lot of common complaints with the past firmware update so if they promise they will address this too, I for one will take their word on it.

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #3,239 of 7,191
Audeze must urgently allow us using AudezeHQ or windows settings using Wireless mode to change HeadPhone L/R balance.... Using BlueTooth and Aux it become another HeadPhone... but BT is not for competitive gaming and it's pretty annoying....

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #3,240 of 7,191
Hi all,

What an interesting forum, it is very informative to read you guys!:thumbsup:
I'd like to have your help for the following : I am interested in the Audeze Penrose or Penrose X headphones.

I am 90% gaming on PC and 10% on PS4. So I was thinking of the Penrose to be able to connect to the 2 supports.
However I read conflicting opinions:

on a french Audeze dealer : elitediffusion.com
"Do Penrose and Penrose X support Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, or Windows Sonic for 3D audio rendering?
Penrose X will support these formats on Xbox Series X and Windows. More information will be attached to the user manual.
Playstation does not support any of these formats, Sony's approach to 3D audio being radically different thanks to their new "Tempest Audio Engine". Penrose supports Tempest as well as other formats on compatible devices."

Does this mean that to have an optimal experience on a PC there is only the Penrose X which will allow 3D audio rendering? but therefore, not possible to connect to the PS4?

In the meantime, there is another info on audeze.com :
"Will Penrose and Penrose X support Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, Windows Sonic, Tempest, etc for 3D audio rendering?
Both versions of Penrose appear to the source device as a 2-channel USB headset, so any processing that happens upstream will be transmitted appropriately. As long as the headset is not required to do any processing of its own, any spatial audio system will work."

So i'm a bit confused... What's the right model for me : Penrose or Penrose X ?
Would any of you have some PC experience to share ?
Thank you in advance for your expertise, this would help me ! :gs1000smile:
You can go for either one. Both of them will work with PC and PS4.
Atmos, Dolby, tempest etc all the technologies handle processing at the source i.e. PC or PS4(I'm not sure that PS4 gas 3d audio). Penrose essentially will work with any such technologies which don't need the headset to do any processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back