Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 3, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #2,656 of 7,191
Is there a fix for crackling/popping in wireless mode?
Came here to ask this same question. It’s happening really frequently for me.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is this issue? Wondering if it's what I'm experiencing or something else entirely. Can you describe it more? How often does it happen, when does it happen? What's it sound like, etc

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #2,659 of 7,191
You sure FastStream is supposed to be Low Latency? I was under the impression it is simply bidirectional SBC, so allowing you to send mic audio back through the connection.
LLAC is the the other low latency BT codec I know of.

That's how it was advertised on the Bluetooth transmitter that came with it. Low latency for devices that don't support Apt-X LL.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #2,660 of 7,191
Out of curiosity, what exactly is this issue? Wondering if it's what I'm experiencing or something else entirely. Can you describe it more? How often does it happen, when does it happen? What's it sound like, etc

For me, the sound cuts in and out, will become muffled and then will start crackling/popping. It seems to be a wireless connection issue as I’m not experiencing it over Bluetooth, but I sit only 5 ft or so away from my PS5 and have tried both the front and back USB ports with seemingly no difference.

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #2,661 of 7,191
For me, the sound cuts in and out, will become muffled and then will start crackling/popping. It seems to be a wireless connection issue as I’m not experiencing it over Bluetooth, but I sit only 5 ft or so away from my PS5 and have tried both the front and back USB ports with seemingly no difference.

Do you have a USB hub or extension cable (preferably USB 2.0) you can try out with it? USB 3.0 ports are known to sometimes cause interference with wireless dongles. I had very minor crackling/popping on mine, and plugging in a small USB hub as an in-between to get the dongle a bit of distance from the actual USB 3.0 port seemed to solve the issue. I had a similar issue on my PC, as all the ports are 3.0 and it helped there too.

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #2,662 of 7,191
Thanks for the review, @Mad Lust Envy
Could you please confirm this?

Is there any official documentation for that? Sadly, this is a showstopper for me.
I planned to use Penrose on travel with Android phone as well as home with PC. Very disappointed as Penrose seems to be the only planar headset with an OK mic.

If you're ok with the dongle, and your phone has type C, get a Type C to Type A female adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGKYXVE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Z9BYFbGQ80MC5

This will allow the Penrose's usb stick to connect to your phone, and you can utilize the wireless mode which is even better than Apt-X LL.

You can use that cable to do the same with the Nintendo Switch when on the go.

edit: found the pics. Was on my old phone.

20201031_003307.jpg

20201031_004356.jpg

20201031_005059.jpg

Personally, I don't mind using the Aux input if I need to use the Penrose with a phone or Switch and don't wanna use BT due to the latency. But if you're a stickler, the method above works as well as it does on the official compatibility list.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #2,663 of 7,191
Do you have a USB hub or extension cable (preferably USB 2.0) you can try out with it? USB 3.0 ports are known to sometimes cause interference with wireless dongles. I had very minor crackling/popping on mine, and plugging in a small USB hub as an in-between to get the dongle a bit of distance from the actual USB 3.0 port seemed to solve the issue. I had a similar issue on my PC, as all the ports are 3.0 and it helped there too.

Does this apply to USB 3.1 Gen1 and USB 3.1 Gen2 as well?

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #2,665 of 7,191

This and also seems like the data isn’t being received so it sounds like the track is skipping.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #2,666 of 7,191
I'm almost certain if you're getting pops it's a usb port issue, and I'd avise on switching to a different port. That's almost always the problem with dongles connected via usb.

I have a bunch of noisy usb ports on my pc, and it's a hassle finding a good one. But it's my PC, not the Penrose or its dongle.

As for my experience with the Penrose, I've had no usb port related problems. No pops or disconnects.

It may be a stupid suggestion, but would using something like an Audioquest Jitterbug help mitigate the interference? I only game on a console and am eagerly awaiting my preorder from hifiheadphones in the uk - but I already own the jitterbug. Anyone know if this could work or would be safe to try out on a console?

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #2,667 of 7,191
It may be a stupid suggestion, but would using something like an Audioquest Jitterbug help mitigate the interference? I only game on a console and am eagerly awaiting my preorder from hifiheadphones in the uk - but I already own the jitterbug. Anyone know if this could work or would be safe to try out on a console?

Seems like a lot to spend as a solution. I can tell you that this $8 usb hub is what I’m using and it solved the interference issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWF5U0M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_X4DYFbFFF3F40?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #2,670 of 7,191
Ahh gotcha. No idea on console use for those. Hopefully it’s something that’ll work for you though!
Ideally I’ll receive a unit that doesn’t suffer with the pops and cracking that a few people seem to be experiencing. But I guess I can only try the jitterbug to see if it helps - fingers crossed it doesn’t mess anything up!
If anyone has any insight on using a jitterbug on a console, please let me know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back