Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 4, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #2,671 of 7,191
Ideally I’ll receive a unit that doesn’t suffer with the pops and cracking that a few people seem to be experiencing. But I guess I can only try the jitterbug to see if it helps - fingers crossed it doesn’t mess anything up!
If anyone has any insight on using a jitterbug on a console, please let me know!

I ordered a cheap USB adaptor from Amazon earlier this year to try to fix some electrical noise/hum which made the Mobius mic unusable on my PS4 Pro. It didn't eradicate the problem enough for me to keep the Mobius but it did improve things massively. I'll be trying this for sure with the Penrose (if I get one).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079N4SLJK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #2,672 of 7,191
Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #2,674 of 7,191
Will Audeze ever release Stand alone USB Dongles for the Penrose? Having to switch the Dongle in and out whenever i want to use a different game console sounds a little annoying. lol clearly not the end of the world, but i'm shooting for minimalism here and less fuss! :p I'd want one for my Switch and one for my PS4

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #2,675 of 7,191
The Penrose X units will have new firmware when users receive them. We will send a shipping update shortly.
No. We will push the software out next week.

Hey, sorry but I'm confused about the firmware on the Penrose X. When the Penrose X is delivered to me in the UK, will it have the new firmware or not? I don't have an Android phone or Windows computer and I want/need sidetone on for gaming. I don't want it switched off for me without any way of switching it back on. Thanks.

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #2,676 of 7,191
Hey, sorry but I'm confused about the firmware on the Penrose X. When the Penrose X is delivered to me in the UK, will it have the new firmware or not? I don't have an Android phone or Windows computer and I want/need sidetone on for gaming. I don't want it switched off for me without any way of switching it back on. Thanks.
It's on by default.

And come on, you have to know SOMEONE with a PC that can let you use for 5 minutes, lol.

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #2,677 of 7,191
I have to visit someone to get to a PC. Not ideal.
Just to clarify, there’s no other way of switching sidetone on/off than an Android phone or PC

I guess I could buy a cheap Android phone. Also a USB extender might be needed. Is there anything else I need to use these Headphones?

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #2,678 of 7,191
It's on by default.

And come on, you have to know SOMEONE with a PC that can let you use for 5 minutes, lol.

Why is that funny?

These are advertised as coming with an app. And had I not found this forum last week I wouldn't have known that there isn't actually a mac app as they advertise on their website. Consumers are receiving these with no way of updating or adjusting them as per the sales literature. Had I not come here, I would have received them without knowing that the software I'm told I can use to update them won't be available.

The Audeze HQ apps for Android and Windows/Mac desktop systems enable a variety of advanced functionality for the Penrose and Penrose X. Featuring a 10 band graphic EQ interface, sidetone toggling, and real-time voice-to-chat mix for Xbox Series X, Audeze HQ gives gamers unprecedented control over their audio experience.

These went on presale in July I believe. There has been plenty of time to get a mac app built. At the very least they should be stating online that when you receive them you cannot update them unless you have Android or Windows.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #2,679 of 7,191
I have to visit someone to get to a PC. Not ideal.
Just to clarify, there’s no other way of switching sidetone on/off than an Android phone or PC

I guess I could buy a cheap Android phone. Also a USB extender might be needed. Is there anything else I need to use these Headphones?

This was surely a bit of an oversight by Audeze.

It would be acceptable if their software package was available to all, but it's not, and that might be a problem for a number of people.

Thankfully I'm unaffected, now if only I could actually get my hands on the headset...

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #2,680 of 7,191
There's plenty of products that work away from PCs yet need a PC to update or access some functions.

This is gonna sound harsh, but perhaps those without access to the ability to update should've thought about that before just jumping in, and then complaining they can't update.

For example: printers can work without PCs yet need to access PCs to update.

It may not be the most convenient outcome, but sometimes it just is what it is. Find someone with a pc or don't get a complex headphone that updates how so many other devices update.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #2,682 of 7,191
Things that utilize software will almost always come with firmware that needs updating in case things don't work.

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #2,683 of 7,191
Thankfully I'm unaffected, now if only I could actually get my hands on the headset...

Well next week is supposedly the week they 'should' release.

Feeling the urge to order again after a gaming session with a wired headset again last night - not sure I can bring myself to volunteer for the pain of any further delays though lol

@Oscar-HiFi - how is it looking now for anyone to get their hands on the Penrose next week and have you received enough stock for all preorders please? TIA

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #2,685 of 7,191
For thoose who have a background sound think to mute the microphone with the switch. I just notice that when the switch is on I have some background sound even if the mic is disconnected and that is disappear when the switch is off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back