Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 4, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #2,701 of 7,191
Does anybody have any EQ preset recommendations for say FPS gaming? I’d like to enhance footstep audio for the most part. It’ll be cool if Audeze can add more presets down the line that way we could have more audio options. Since we only have 2 presets currently, I’ll just change one preset and leave the other at its default. That said are there any other EQ recommendations for like open world games?

Also from what I’ve been reading the HQ app won’t be available for iOS but I couldn’t find why not, could somebody briefly explain why that is. While a Mac isn’t the same OS as an iPhone, it’s still in the Apple environment so I would think there would be a way, right?

Audeze mentioned there is a type of certification process / requirement for iOS app compatibility that caused them to not pursue that direction

Nvm, they answered with more detail

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #2,703 of 7,191
Yes. Penrose X will have new firmware when it is delivered.

Thanks for the response. Is there any way to buy direct from you without it? I have a Mac and want sidetone on by default. I cannot mix with another household due to UK lockdown restrictions so cannot go to someone with a PC to turn it on. Unless you think the Mac app might be with us before the Penrose X is with third-party sellers or these updates will include the option to enable/disable sidetone with a button combination?

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2,704 of 7,191
Update on my order purchased directly from Audeze in case anyone else is in a similar boat.

I received shipping confirmation and a Fedex tracking number on 11/28. 6 days later it still hasn't been picked up, and is stuck on "Shipment information sent to FedEx." No actual movement of the package.

I've had several other Fedex packages get shipped within the last week with no issue (some coming from CA as well just like the Penrose), so I really don't know what the hold up is. I guess the waiting game continues.

My FedEx package made its way to Dubai without hitch en route to South Africa. But it's been stuck there since Sunday (was supposed to be delivered yesterday) and this morning the tracker status changed to "pending" with no anticipated delivery date. Sounds like FedEx is having major issues their side.

Was really excited to test it out over the weekend too...damn

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #2,705 of 7,191
Thanks for the response. Is there any way to buy direct from you without it? I have a Mac and want sidetone on by default. I cannot mix with another household due to UK lockdown restrictions so cannot go to someone with a PC to turn it on. Unless you think the Mac app might be with us before the Penrose X is with third-party sellers or these updates will include the option to enable/disable sidetone with a button combination?
iirc, they're adding a button combination to change sidetone on and off, so you should be fine with the updated firmware.

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #2,706 of 7,191
Does anybody have any EQ preset recommendations for say FPS gaming? I’d like to enhance footstep audio for the most part. It’ll be cool if Audeze can add more presets down the line that way we could have more audio options. Since we only have 2 presets currently, I’ll just change one preset and leave the other at its default. That said are there any other EQ recommendations for like open world games?

Also from what I’ve been reading the HQ app won’t be available for iOS but I couldn’t find why not, could somebody briefly explain why that is. While a Mac isn’t the same OS as an iPhone, it’s still in the Apple environment so I would think there would be a way, right?
Look it up on YouTube plus they explain what each eq frequency does

Dec 4, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #2,710 of 7,191
Mac 2.4 Ghz connectivity issues

I am able to isolate frequent connection drops with Mac, same setup however works with Windows.

Setup: I am using Penrose (PS5/PC) dongle with USB 2.0 extension cable as newer Macbooks only have USB-C. The dongle is placed exactly at the same location to avoid interference with other sources.

When Mac is the audio source:
  1. Plug the dongle in USB 2.0 extension cable
  2. Dongle led blinks and after 2/3 seconds I'd hear "connected" voice in headset
  3. Dongle LED goes off (seems like Dongle is losing power or losing the connection)
  4. Remove and reconnect the dongle, led blinks again and dongle is switched off as soon as connected.
  5. I can reproduce this 9/10 times now.
  6. However, if I wait 5/10 minutes before plugging the dongle back. The connection is back and I am able to use it fairly well on Mac. I have learnt this exercise now.
When Windows is the audio source.
  1. Plug the dongle in same USB 2.0 extension cable
  2. Dongle led blinks and after 2/3 seconds I'd hear "connected" voice in headset
  3. Connection is stable and no issues anywhere.
I have repeated same steps using a powered USB hub, to confirm if this is happening due to lack of power. Same result, it immediately drops the connection on Mac while holds fairly well on Windows.

Anyone else using this on Mac, if yes, how did you get 2.4 Ghz pairing to work?

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #2,711 of 7,191
We have enough stock coming to cover all pre-orders and have some left over, our ops team haven't said they have arrived yet but the shipment is in transit. We are still aiming to start shipping next week - it just depends on what day the shipment arrives (we're closed over the weekend).

Can you ship mine first :)

When will you have the replacement ear pads for them?

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #2,713 of 7,191
Anyone else using this on Mac, if yes, how did you get 2.4 Ghz pairing to work?
Most of us use Mac as our main system and have been using Penrose in 2.4 GHz primarily. USB-C port on Macbook Pro to a USB-C to USB A Kingston adapter.
What is the model of the Mac ? And the OS version

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 4, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #2,715 of 7,191
I'm going to assume plugging in my headset via aux at the same time as charging and then hearing a staticy...sound...is the fault of my motherboard instead of the headset? Let's not even talk about the sound being played when you have both of them plugged in but select wireless instead...

EDIT: Also does it matter much the quality of splitter I buy? Should have realized that it was a single 3.5mm for mic and audio...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back