Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Dec 1, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #2,507 of 7,191
Still probably won't switch over from my Shure MV5 though.
Oh for sure. I mean, I'd still rather use the wired connection of the Penrose for mic duties if I need to the best quality available. But if I wanna go all wireless, I'm ok with this. I wasn't before.

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #2,508 of 7,191
I'm quite surprised at the improvement! I honestly didn't expect it to improve that much. I was sorely disappointed with the quality on release. This? This I can live with.

Thanks for the recordings btw.

Yeah that sounds decently improved, awesome. Out of curiosity, you said you moved the boom mic further away than you typically had it before cause it sounds better....how far is it now? I had mine pretty close, about 2 finger widths away like I usually do but now you have me 2nd guessing myself heh.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #2,510 of 7,191
The USB dongle seems to be both power-hungry and sensitive to interference. Is there a way to get yourself even closer? I know that doesn't resolve the issue but it's all I've got! For what it's worth, my connection has been fine and I'm at 6 feet LOS.

@kism did you ever use your Sony for voice chat and, if so, how did you manage it? It's my understanding the mic is unavailable with AUX input and Windows handles Bluetooth headsets poorly in my experience.

I tried until I found out that yeah the mic is unavailable while using aux input like you said. I was very disappointed. I don't think I've tried using the mic while connected via Bluetooth on my PC or on my consoles. I can try it right now... OK my son says he thought I was someone else talking to him. He says he can hear me, but it's super bad. He says it sounds like some old Xbox 360 microphone (his words) lol, and he won't stop laughing. He's trying to get me to hear myself somehow, but he can't even understand me half the time. So, I guess that's gonna be a NO from him haha. The audio quality in general is just horrible. I have a $10 USB adapter I bought on Amazon for my PS4 controller, so I guess this is as good as it gets over here.

EDIT: I figured since we're trying out mics I would dig out the Penrose mic from the box and see what he thinks of the sound quality on PC. He says it sounds WAY better than the tabletop one I've been using. Here it is. Some no-name brand. So the Penrose mic easily beats that one according to him.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #2,512 of 7,191
Nvm, I misread you were talking about something else. It's late 🤦

Has anyone gotten it to use AAC over bluetooth? I've only ever seen it use SBC even when I've tried to force AAC on my mac.
AAC is going to be added in a future update. It's currently not available.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #2,514 of 7,191
That's unfortunate. I'm assuming your beta firmware doesn't have it either?
Testing with my Note 20 Ultra in dev mode, it defaults back to SBC, so I assume that AAC isn't available yet, no. Knowing Audeze, I don't think it's going to be a long wait. SBC sounds fine to me anyways, so for my personal needs, I think it's fine. Bluetooth is the last thing I'd be doing with it, though I can understand wanting AAC.

Then again, Id definitely prefer using discord over the PS5 party chat, so maybe I would be using the Bluetooth mode much more than I'd think.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #2,516 of 7,191
I'm confused about the dongle....do you have to keep switching the USB dongle when you want to use a difference device? lets say i had it plugged into my Nintendo Switch, but then wanted to play PS5. would i have to keep unlpugging it and plugging into the other console, OR can you buy another Penrose USB Dongle and have one plugged in for each console?

Dec 2, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #2,519 of 7,191
I'm confused about the dongle....do you have to keep switching the USB dongle when you want to use a difference device? lets say i had it plugged into my Nintendo Switch, but then wanted to play PS5. would i have to keep unlpugging it and plugging into the other console, OR can you buy another Penrose USB Dongle and have one plugged in for each console?

Yes, you have one dongle per headset. It comes pre-paired, and you have to plug and replug it into whichever device you want to hear audio from. There’s no current way to buy a second or third dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back