Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #2,056 of 7,191
Reiterating the posts above - We will be able to fix most, if not all issues with simple firmware fixes. We will start testing some of these fixes with customers as early as next week.
Any chance I could get a crack at testing the new firmware when it is available for testing?
I’m holding off on my full review until it’s available.

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #2,057 of 7,191
I want to thank those of you who have received their headsets already and have helped Audeze track down some bugs to get fixed. I don't know about the rest of you but i am reassured by Audeze's responsiveness and willingness to address these issues so swiftly.

On a separate note, whoever reminded me about the Ignore feature five or so pages back, thank you. These last few pages have been a pleasure to read after some overdue noise filtering.

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #2,058 of 7,191
@Audeze - jeez, why did you now have to start talking about fixes and firmware upgrades. I'd managed to resist ordering again due to the delays but after selling my Pulse 3d yesterday and wanting another wireless headset, I fear your timing will be bad for my bank balance!!

Lets hope those UK units are on their way anytime now :)

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #2,059 of 7,191
Alright then, INTL orders being shipped this week is a go!

Pretty much guarantees I should receive mine in the next week or 2 weeks at the latest, as long as no shipping delays occur and HiFi Headphones can turnaround quickly.

NOW I'M MOTIVATED!

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #2,060 of 7,191
I’d love to give the U.K. Penrose fence sitters a review when I receive mine but I don’t think my ears are as good as some of the more technically minded Penrose users on this forum. I’ll probably think they are amazing and the only whooshing sound I’ll hear is when I visit the bathroom during a gaming session.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #2,061 of 7,191
Finally received my fedex tracking email for my international order back in early oct. Despite them promising expedited shipping, and even customer support confirming that the shipping will be upgraded to fedex international priority, the delivery service is still fedex international economy. Well, Ive waited this long so I can certainly wait for a week for delivery

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #2,062 of 7,191
All that would be a possibility if we designed the wireless transmitter and receiver chipset and wrote the SDK for them too, but that is not the case. There are only a handful of vendors for wireless technology used in headsets, and we chose one we think will work best for our requirements with the right compromises. We keep in close touch with these technologies and see what is in the road map and we see things getting even better in the future.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the transparency.

It is understandable that Audeze is not doing their own engineering work on the communication portion of the headset. However from a product design perspective it is unfortunate that after partnering with Shure to include a very capable microphone and then advertising it as "broadcast quality" in the marketing materials, that it was paired with a wireless compression scheme that negates all of that.

As I'm sure most of the enthusiasts here know, audio quality is only going to be as good as the weakest link in the chain, and in this case it's the wireless voice compression.

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #2,063 of 7,191
If anyone wants to replicate the wish, just sit in a quiet place, turn the headset volume all the way down, and then bring it up just one notch so it’s barely audible. The whoosh will be very prevalent and it’ll be just about all you hear.

Nov 26, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2,064 of 7,191
Thanks for the response. I appreciate the transparency.

It is understandable that Audeze is not doing their own engineering work on the communication portion of the headset. However from a product design perspective it is unfortunate that after partnering with Shure to include a very capable microphone and then advertising it as "broadcast quality" in the marketing materials, that it was paired with a wireless compression scheme that negates all of that.

As I'm sure most of the enthusiasts here know, audio quality is only going to be as good as the weakest link in the chain, and in this case it's the wireless voice compression.
Not to sound pedantic, it it’s still lossless without any compression to avoid latency, but band limited due to inherent limitations of the wireless technology and the need to prioritize quality of play back over voice.

That said, we have added frequency shaping filters to improve voice quality and this will be part of the next FW. We hope it will improve mic quality.

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #2,065 of 7,191
@Audeze Just to sum up my experience and provide some positive feedback, here is a list of things that I feel need to be fixed in one place. Once these are fixed, these will be a near perfect headset for most and I’ll prob repurchase at some point:

- Fix woosh/whirl/wind noise

- Continue to work on standard noise floor/hiss if possible

- Remove “connected...connected” alerts when moving out of wireless range

- Turn on or off side tone with a long button press of the multi button - have woman give you a verbal queue as well when activated or deactivate

- Reduce volume on woman

- Fix bug where connecting to Bluetooth initially will completely turn off headset - has happened 7 times now

- Fix bug where after awhile Bluetooth audio will start to distort when using discord on mobile. (Could be a discord issue, but worth testing with discord specifically). Happened to me 3 times yesterday.

- Work on improving mic clarity - been receiving complaints that I am muffled. Maybe there are some work arounds on your end that can fix this.

- Some sort of battery indicator- maybe via audio queue with certain button pushes

- I need to test this further, but I don’t think it stays on the last connected device each time. Sometimes when I turn them back on I have to use multi button to connect to wireless again even though it was the last device I used. This could be me imagining and I’ll look into it further.

Non firmware issues/questions/concerns

- Address if Xbox version will work with PS5 in your tests, even if not officially supported. Brands like Steelseries are saying their Xbox version works with both - still no word from you on this

- Make a completely black ear cup color and ship it in the box because the blue, and I’m sure green, are hideous. Mistakes were made, but you can solve it without making us purchase the carbon from your site. Just give us another color choice to regular black in the box. For example my gaming mouse comes with a free set of a black front plate in case you don’t like the color.

- Continue to refine the clamp force - just too tight right now as it is. Will be ok with some, but def not for others. If there are ways to break them in, provide instructions so we don’t actually break them when doing so.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #2,066 of 7,191
Not to sound pedantic, it it’s still lossless without any compression to avoid latency, but band limited due to inherent limitations of the wireless technology and the need to prioritize quality of play back over voice.

That said, we have added frequency shaping filters to improve voice quality and this will be part of the next FW. We hope it will improve mic quality.
Will these filters that improve mic voice quality come at the cost of lower audio quality?

Nov 26, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #2,068 of 7,191

Pendantry is fine with me. I appreciate the chance to discuss the topic using precise terms.

In that spirit I will point out that what you are describing is still a form of lossy compression, it's just that you are doing your compression in the spectral domain with a filter rather than doing it in the discrete time domain with a codec. I do not work in the audio industry so I can't claim to know how you commonly use terminology within the field, but I would assume that when someone says "lossless" the implication is that the cutoff frequencies of the filter are either far enough outside the range of the input signal or of the human auditory range that a listener can't tell the difference. When I do an A:B comparison of the Penrose mic in wired vs wireless mode, I can easily hear the frequency loss in the wireless signal without needing to look at a spectral plot.

Anyway, with that discussion aside, I appreciate your continued efforts to improve on the signal processing and look forward to hearing the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back