Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 25, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #1,906 of 7,191
Good news: the wireless range on the PS5 is very good. I can walk 15 feet away with no issues. So I'll chalk that up to USB issues on PC.

But the wooshing. Wow. It's immediately noticeable when navigating the PS5 interface. Just scroll around the menu and you'll hear it immediately.

good luck. The official audeze user has disappeared. I mentioned upgrading outstanding orders to expedited shipping and most everyone else has an issue with mic, sound orstrange woosh or terrible range. They’re worried about cancellations and returns are going to be a hassle.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,907 of 7,191
Yeah, BS. They should upgrade all outstanding preorders. There’s no reason people should have to wait even more than they already are. They say certain things are out of their control. Well, they can control ship speed by using actual expedited shipping.

When did you order?

October 15th,

on another note I don’t hear any noises at all, none from messing with mic, none from messing with cup and absolutely zero noise when volume cranked and nothing playing... just my experiences

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,909 of 7,191
I just....can't fathom how they released these. They had to have known about this wooshing defect. It's very, very obvious. Are they just hoping the gamer crowd won't notice? I feel like I'm sitting here with a $400 paperweight. I'll deal with the inferior sound signature of my Hyper X Clouds because the wooshing is all I can focus on when I hear these and it just feels...very uncomfortable. It feels like someone is rubbing the outside of my earcups constantly.

Take any pair of closed headphones and rub the cable or the ear cups while you listen to them. This is what it sounds like. It puts an uncomfortable pressure on the ears.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,910 of 7,191
I decided to go ahead and order an Arctis 7p, but also don't want to cancel my pre-order. Audeze has a pretty generous 30-day return policy (at least if you live in the US so return shipping isn't prohibitive) so I'd like to see if I encounter these connectivity and noise issues myself. I'm not a super audiophile, but I am spoiled by Focal Elear, Sony Z1R and my trusty HD650, so if the Arctis 7p is as bad as many people say, I probably won't be able to stomach it, haha.

I look forward to receiving these two headsets next month so I can make a direct comparison.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,911 of 7,191
Hopefully Audeze chimes in soon. "If" this can be fixed, they will be absolutely stellar. I love the sound signature. The weight of the sound is perfect. Great bass definition. Very forward and detailed mids. A nice roll off on the highs for a non fatiguing sound.

If they could fix this these headphones would be a winner, but right now, it feels like I'm driving a Ferrari with a flat tire.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #1,912 of 7,191
I decided to go ahead and order an Arctis 7p, but also don't want to cancel my pre-order. Audeze has a pretty generous 30-day return policy (at least if you live in the US so return shipping isn't prohibitive) so I'd like to see if I encounter these connectivity and noise issues myself. I'm not a super audiophile, but I am spoiled by Focal Elear, Sony Z1R and my trusty HD650, so if the Arctis 7p is as bad as many people say, I probably won't be able to stomach it, haha.

I look forward to receiving these two headsets next month so I can make a direct comparison.
I have the 7P and it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. For $150 I think it's pretty good value in the wireless department with many features such as 24 hour battery, lossless connection, versatile connection (Phone, Switch).

Can't go wrong with these tbh. Sound quality is probably as what you'd expect from any stereo headset in that price range. Just hope you ordered from Best Buy as they have a really generous and extended Holiday return window.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,913 of 7,191
Can't go wrong with these tbh. Sound quality is probably as what you'd expect from any stereo headset in that price range. Just hope you ordered from Best Buy as they have a really generous and extended Holiday return window.

Is the return policy different in the US than in Canada? Here you can't return used headphones to BestBuy.

I'm kind of tempted to just take the hit and return the Audeze and pick up the Arctis.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #1,914 of 7,191
Hopefully Audeze chimes in soon. "If" this can be fixed, they will be absolutely stellar. I love the sound signature. The weight of the sound is perfect. Great bass definition. Very forward and detailed mids. A nice roll off on the highs for a non fatiguing sound.

If they could fix this these headphones would be a winner, but right now, it feels like I'm driving a Ferrari with a flat tire.

They really need to soon and offer a fix, otherwise im gonna have to cancel and im sure i wont be the only one.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #1,916 of 7,191
I have the 7P and it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. For $150 I think it's pretty good value in the wireless department with many features such as 24 hour battery, lossless connection, versatile connection (Phone, Switch).

I ordered from Amazon since they have the Audible $10 gift card promotion and 20% off Amex promotion (and Amex also offers 8% extra cashback on amazon via their targeted offers, up to $300), so it ends up being about $110. Not too bad, and Amazon has a holiday return policy as well allowing for returns before January 31.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #1,917 of 7,191
Well, I can definitely hear what you're talking about, especially at lower volumes. Definitely a little disappointing. Now that I know what to listen for I guess I'll see if I notice it in my day to day use. Hopefully I'll be able to tune it out because if I have to return these I really don't see anything else wireless in the market that can replace them for me.

Yes it’s very obvious indeed for that whooshing/echo noise everywhere once you notice it. I though in addition to gaming once in a while, I can mostly use this headphone for Zoom meetings and listen to music while working ... and hope that it will sound good given at least it’s an entry level of planar magnetic can ... but well, frankly speaking this known defect (as many ppl here have acknowledged it already) is unbearable for using it as a music device. Again, hope that it’s not hardware problem and Audeze would seriously look into and fix it asap!

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #1,918 of 7,191
Ok, so I tested the Creative G6 dac/amp with the LCD-1 on the PS5 again. The hiss is prevalent even on this. It's not a Penrose issue. In fact, at high volume, the G6 is quite hissy with nothing playing. Which even the Penrose doesn't have. This is not NORMAL to the G6, as on PC, the G6 is dead quiet.

So, the problem lies with the Ps5 on my end.

Tested the G6 via usb, as well as an amp through the controller output. Both are hissy at high volume.

Next up is dac/amp testing through hdmi out ps5 functions.

Except I have the same issue on PC and my iPhone over bluetooth with chimes, notifications, and classical music and DO NOT have this issue with other headphones I own.

Actually a quick edit for accuracy, something similar to this problem of hissing after sounds was also happening with my Logitech Pro X Wireless with DTS:X on until they fixed it in an update.

Unfortunately I’m tipping more and more into returning them from my initial optimism unless I hear something from Audeze about them working on it. It’s really quite annoying and adds to one of many factors that make these a pain for low volume listening (I listen at 2-3 ticks on the volume wheel and windows at 100% for reference).

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #1,919 of 7,191
I've been hearing mixed things about the range between here and posts elsewhere, anywhere from 5ft to 20ft. I wonder how much of that is variation between headsets, how much is variation between USB power to the dongles, etc.
This depends on other factors like interference, how crowded the spectrum as well. With just did a live stream on twitch with Penrose on PC and we had someone wear headphones and walk out of the room, a good 20 to 25 feet through walls etc.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #1,920 of 7,191
Well, looks like the PS5 is just being incredibly stupid because now the G6 is dead silent.

I'm stumped.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back