Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #1,936 of 7,191
On that note, have you found an EQ setting that you like most so far? I found that keeping the highs and lows at zero and subtracting a bit from the mids has given the cleanest overall sound, but the bass is obviously lacking a bit.
I generally don't EQ anything. I like the default sound profile of the Penrose well enough.

As for whooshing wind noise, I haven't had that issue, but then I haven't focused much on the mic and chat gaming. I did play Warzone today on PC and didn't notice it, but then I'm much too focused on the gameplay. I'll try and do more testing with the mic always on to see what everyone is talking about. I would never use Sidetone, so if that's the cause, I definitely recommend turning it off.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,937 of 7,191
That's a problem with everything, not just the Penrose. If you can live with the low bitrate sounding, crunchy bass, it's not that bad otherwise. Games like CoD highlight it most as grenades are constantly going off in multiplayer.

I play mostly Battleifeld 1 and 5. A lot of explosions going off.

I just wish people would have something positive to say about these headphones.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #1,938 of 7,191

I mean, the sound quality is excellent for the most part, and I do really like them. It's just the weird whoosing sound when browsing through menu items and low volume sounds that's really the main issue for me. I'm only getting that on PS5 and not PC (others seem to get it on both to varying degrees), so I'm hoping it's something fixable through firmware.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #1,941 of 7,191

Again, the problem doesn't have anything to do with the Penrose. This is specifically a Sony Tempest 3D Audio issue.

Also, the PS5 menu is hissy when switching. That's a PS5 problem as well, and you can hear it with any headphone if loud enough.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #1,942 of 7,191
I'm not seeing this option in the mac version of the app.
I couldn't get the Mac version of the app to recognize the Penrose at all. I had to do it through Windows.
Sidetone is a feature. Having it is necessary to me, especially for closed back headsets that have any kind of seal. How do you voice chat without yelling otherwise?

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #1,943 of 7,191
Sidetone is a feature. Having it is necessary to me, especially for closed back headsets that have any kind of seal. How do you voice chat without yelling otherwise?

4nvckx.jpg

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #1,944 of 7,191
Also, the PS5 menu is gissy when switching. That's a PS5 problem as well, and you can hear it with any headphone if loud enough.

This problem has nothing to do with the PS5.
I can hear the wooshing sounds after the tone when changing the volume on windows, after delicate parts of classical music, when ceasing to fire a gun in an FPS on PC, when playing back a voice clip of me saying “hey”.

It seems like the Penrose “turns on” when a sound is played and the sound floor/hiss increases and then when the sound stops the sound floor goes back down to the lower ambient amount but that there’s a delay between the two.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #1,945 of 7,191
Eh, I talk fine enough with voice chat without having to hear myself. In fact, sidetone is one of the most distracting options and I turn it off with everything that has it. I only turn it on to make sure a mic is working then immediately turn it off.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #1,946 of 7,191
I can hear the wooshing sounds after the tone when changing the volume on windows, after delicate parts of classical music, when ceasing to fire a gun in an FPS on PC, when playing back a voice clip of me saying “hey”.

It seems like the Penrose “turns on” when a sound is played and the sound floor/hiss increases and then when the sound stops the sound floor goes back down to the lower ambient amount but that there’s a delay between the two.
I understand what you're saying, but the PS5 ALSO has that issue when menuing. The audio samples that the ps5 menus use are 100% badly recorded and hiss noticeably at high volume. Not even using the Penrose,you can tell.

I'd focus on the stuff that 100% Penrose related. The PS5 menu is a problem, period.

And yes, I'm hearing the Penrose "engage" with the samples used on this thread. So I do understand why people are having an issue. Its just not noticeable enough on my unit to say its a glaring problem, and why I've not talked about it. The moment its distracting on my end, I'll definitely communicate with Audeze about it.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #1,947 of 7,191

I went back and tried that, and now that you mention it, I do hear it when changing volume on Windows as well, just not in the few PC games I tried for some reason. Your description also sounds correct, like the headphones are "turning on or activating" when a sound is played and the sound floor/hiss becomes noticeable.

It is MUCH more apparent on PS5 though.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #1,948 of 7,191
I'm currently on my PortaPros and menuing on the PS5. The hiss is just as bad on it. So again, I wouldn't use the PS5 as an example for Penrose issues. The PS5 is just....iffy atm.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #1,950 of 7,191
The whoosh seems worst on specific types of sounds. The PS5 menu is awful, isolated piano notes are bad. In playing Ghost of Tsushima, the whoosh is very clear during quiet moments with the wind blowing, and when sitting on the pause menu. I can’t reproduce these sounds using a wired B&W P7, or any other earbuds I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back