Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 25, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #1,876 of 7,191
Ok, so I tested the Creative G6 dac/amp with the LCD-1 on the PS5 again. The hiss is prevalent even on this. It's not a Penrose issue. In fact, at high volume, the G6 is quite hissy with nothing playing. Which even the Penrose doesn't have. This is not NORMAL to the G6, as on PC, the G6 is dead quiet.

So, the problem lies with the Ps5 on my end.

Tested the G6 via usb, as well as an amp through the controller output. Both are hissy at high volume.

Next up is dac/amp testing through hdmi out ps5 functions.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #1,878 of 7,191
Ok, so I tested the Creative G6 dac/amp with the LCD-1 on the PS5 again. The hiss is prevalent even on this. It's not a Penrose issue. In fact, at high volume, the G6 is quite hissy with nothing playing. Which even the Penrose doesn't have. This is not NORMAL to the G6, as on PC, the G6 is dead quiet.

So, the problem lies with the Ps5 on my end.

Tested the G6 via usb, as well as an amp through the controller output. Both are hissy at high volume.

Good to know. I’ll double check later this afternoon after work on some PC games just also confirm it’s only a PS5 issue with them. I’m not hearing the noise when I plug my Beyerdynamics into the controller though, so that’s why it led me to believe it was something with the Penrose

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #1,879 of 7,191
Mind you, at a moderate volume, you won't hear it, even on the G6. It's when raising it to moderately loud, that the hiss gets obvious.

It may be less of an issue with high impedance headphones, which I'll check with the 6XX in a few.

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #1,882 of 7,191
so, depending on distance you’re looking at November 30 to December. That puts all November preorders at end of year. And no expedited shipping for the ones that are unfulfilled after empty promises. Garbage
They are doing expedited shipping, just not the expedited that we expected.

They mentioned that FedEx Home Delivery is considered expedited service to them because it delivers on the weekends lmao.

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #1,883 of 7,191
So I got mine in yesterday (3-day’s shipping not bad) literally the only complaints I have with it are the MIC is very muffled (my discord said it sounded like I have a bag of D***’s in my mouth haha) and I wish the bass had a little more punch, but when the bass does go low... it’s crystal clear...

overall I’d give it a temp 7/10 but my problems are fixable

P.s and no battery indicator

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #1,884 of 7,191
So I got mine in yesterday (3-day’s shipping not bad) literally the only complaints I have with it are the MIC is very muffled (my discord said it sounded like I have a bag of D***’s in my mouth haha) and I wish the bass had a little more punch, but when the bass does go low... it’s crystal clear...

How do you know what that sounds like more to the point? ha ha

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #1,885 of 7,191
Mind you, at a moderate volume, you won't hear it, even on the G6. It's when raising it to moderately loud, that the hiss gets obvious.

It may be less of an issue with high impedance headphones, which I'll check with the 6XX in a few.

Alright, I tried it on PC with Gears 4 and Halo, and I’m not hearing that noise at all, so it seems like it is an issue with the PS5. I hear it even when the Penrose are turned down real low, but it is less apparent at low headphone volumes. Like I said before, it’s generally noticeable when navigating a quiet menu, or during more quiet scenes in a game. When there’s a lot of noise happening, it’s not really Something I can pick up.

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #1,886 of 7,191
They are doing expedited shipping, just not the expedited that we expected.

They mentioned that FedEx Home Delivery is considered expedited service to them because it delivers on the weekends lmao.
Yeah, BS. They should upgrade all outstanding preorders. There’s no reason people should have to wait even more than they already are. They say certain things are out of their control. Well, they can control ship speed by using actual expedited shipping.

When did you order?

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #1,887 of 7,191
Thanks, that's very helpful. I tried a couple headphones out of the Dualsense and wasn't impressed. Good to know that the Penrose will be a significant upgrade. I assume even the Arctis 7p would be better than connecting some headphones to the Dualsense?

Thanks again, so you connect the G6 directly to the PS5 and run the wires to where you sit? How does that work since the PS5 no longer has optical output? Or you mean you'd recommend using something similar to G6 but that actually supports PS5 (so I guess it can only be USB input instead of optical).

I'm still most likely going to keep my preorder, but I'm curious if the Arctis 7p might be better for my needs as it's more comfortable and user friendly. I don't need headphones for PC or audio since I already have those covered, I just want something solely for my console gaming (PS5 and Nintendo Switch). Both the Penrose and Arctis 7p fit those needs, and I'm aware that the Penrose will have significantly better audio quality than the Arctis, but wondering if the audio improvement will justify losing what seems to be improved comfort and user friendliness of the Arctis 7p.

As someone who recently bought a 7P for PS5, I would unequivocally say yes. I used my Sennheiser Game One and Audeze Mobius through the jack in the controller when the console first launched, and although it drives a higher volume than the Dualshock, it still comes off as super compressed and muddy.

The 7P isn’t the greatest sounding thing I’ve ever heard, but it’s decent and the wireless connection has been rock solid. They’re also well-built and have great battery life. I also recommend toggling Sony’s 3D audio off in the system’s settings, as it seems to introduce a claustrophobic muffle to the overall sound not unlike the built-in surround from Astro‘s mixamps. Atmos on Xbox is far better at emulating surround sound both in games that do and don’t directly support it.

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #1,888 of 7,191
I have a really weird issue with my Penrose and I'm hoping someone here has an idea on how to fix it. So I was testing the mic with my macbook and had the headset connected using both the dongle and aux at the same time. After switching a few times I stopped getting the "connected" voice and the headset completely stopped responding to button presses. It still works when plugged in using the aux, both the audio and the mic is fine, but no buttons on the headset seem to do anything. Even the mute mic slider and the volume wheels don't change a thing. The light on the side is solid white and holding the power button does not turn the headset off. My only idea is to let the battery drain and see if it fixes itself, but thats gonna take hours considering I just charged it, so if anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them.

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #1,889 of 7,191
I have a really weird issue with my Penrose and I'm hoping someone here has an idea on how to fix it. So I was testing the mic with my macbook and had the headset connected using both the dongle and aux at the same time. After switching a few times I stopped getting the "connected" voice and the headset completely stopped responding to button presses. It still works when plugged in using the aux, both the audio and the mic is fine, but no buttons on the headset seem to do anything. Even the mute mic slider and the volume wheels don't change a thing. The light on the side is solid white and holding the power button does not turn the headset off. My only idea is to let the battery drain and see if it fixes itself, but thats gonna take hours considering I just charged it, so if anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them.

from their guide:

Pressing and holding the Headphone Volume Wheel, Mic Volume Wheel and Multi-Function Button at the same time will force-reboot Penrose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back