Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 25, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,891 of 7,191
So I got mine in yesterday (3-day’s shipping not bad) literally the only complaints I have with it are the MIC is very muffled (my discord said it sounded like I have a bag of D***’s in my mouth haha) and I wish the bass had a little more punch, but when the bass does go low... it’s crystal clear...

overall I’d give it a temp 7/10 but my problems are fixable

P.s and no battery indicator

You can EQ the bass to add more thump

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #1,892 of 7,191
I encountered the same issue as well when I first tried the headphone with some soft piano music ... the noise is kind of like a wind/shadow/echo after each note being played, especially obvious at the quiet part after each note ...

I tested using the wireless dongle alone on a Windows PC, and then tried Bluetooth connection alone with my iPhone, with the mic attached and detached, also mute/unmuted ... the same wind/shadow noise occurred for all these scenarios.

In the beginning I thought I got a defected unit but seems others are having similar issue after read this forum. Hope this is software related and firmware update can resolve it.

Same issue here. It's making me seriously regret getting these. Seems like an issue with the planar drivers themselves or a power issue. I don't see how this can be fixed.

Now, if I return these, I'll be out nearly $200 Canadian due to duties and shipping. I guess I'm stuck with them, but I can't say I'd recommend these to anyone at this point.

My issues with the headphones:

1) Wireless range is abysmal. If I get any further than 6 feet away from my PC I get disconnects
2) Clamping force is way too high. These are not comfortable at all.
3) Wooshing during quiet songs. Sounds like someone is rubbing the outside of my headphones with a soft cloth and it feels really uncomfortable.

The sound is great. But everything else is just not really forgivable for a product that cost me $400 CAD.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #1,893 of 7,191
I encountered the same issue as well when I first tried the headphone with some soft piano music ... the noise is kind of like a wind/shadow/echo after each note being played, especially obvious at the quiet part after each note ...

I tested using the wireless dongle alone on a Windows PC, and then tried Bluetooth connection alone with my iPhone, with the mic attached and detached, also mute/unmuted ... the same wind/shadow noise occurred for all these scenarios.

In the beginning I thought I got a defected unit but seems others are having similar issue after read this forum. Hope this is software related and firmware update can resolve it.
Would you mind posting the actual song you're having these issues with as an example? Might help others with the Penrose better understand what exactly you're talking about.

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #1,895 of 7,191
I've been hearing mixed things about the range between here and posts elsewhere, anywhere from 5ft to 20ft. I wonder how much of that is variation between headsets, how much is variation between USB power to the dongles, etc.

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #1,896 of 7,191
Would you mind posting the actual song you're having these issues with as an example? Might help others with the Penrose better understand what exactly you're talking about.

You can try this song attached below ... basically any soft piano music with note by note slowly will reveal the defect.

https://music.apple.com/ca/album/kiss-the-rain/1437486308?i=1437486702

Like another poster said, it’s quite disappointed for a high end headphone brand that is known for its reputation of audiophile quality that let such issue slip through the cracks. Hope it’s just a software issue instead of hardware one, and Audeze will look into seriously and fix it asap!

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #1,898 of 7,191
As someone who recently bought a 7P for PS5, I would unequivocally say yes. I used my Sennheiser Game One and Audeze Mobius through the jack in the controller when the console first launched, and although it drives a higher volume than the Dualshock, it still comes off as super compressed and muddy.

The 7P isn’t the greatest sounding thing I’ve ever heard, but it’s decent and the wireless connection has been rock solid. They’re also well-built and have great battery life. I also recommend toggling Sony’s 3D audio off in the system’s settings, as it seems to introduce a claustrophobic muffle to the overall sound not unlike the built-in surround from Astro‘s mixamps. Atmos on Xbox is far better at emulating surround sound both in games that do and don’t directly support it.

Thank you very much for your impressions. Do you have a Penrose to compare it to? I’m very close to cancelling my preorder due to the issues people are having (some can be fixed by firmware updates but others are very concerning, such as the limited range, clamping pressure for my above average size head and connection issues). Do the Arctis 7p suit your needs or is the lower sound quality as distracting as some people make it out to be?

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #1,899 of 7,191
I mean if the range is 6 ft they would have seen that in testing since that's like couch range for some people lol. So seems like a pretty devastating allegation.

Looking forward to testing mine Friday if I can beat FedEx at their ding dong ditch attempt.

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,900 of 7,191
Thank you very much for your impressions. Do you have a Penrose to compare it to? I’m very close to cancelling my preorder due to the issues people are having (some can be fixed by firmware updates but others are very concerning, such as the limited range, clamping pressure for my above average size head and connection issues). Do the Arctis 7p suit your needs or is the lower sound quality as distracting as some people make it out to be?

No Penrose yet, unfortunately (the X is on order). If you can order a 7P from somewhere it could be returned, I see no downside to giving it a try. Even the finest pair of headphones will be severely bottlenecked by plugging in to the controller jack, in my estimation.

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,901 of 7,191
No Penrose yet, unfortunately (the X is on order). If you can order a 7P from somewhere it could be returned, I see no downside to giving it a try. Even the finest pair of headphones will be severely bottlenecked by plugging in to the controller jack, in my estimation.
Yes, get the 7P from Best Buy if you can as they have an extended holiday return Window.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #1,902 of 7,191
Not that I should address this amount of stupidity, but I'll do so for the sake of not havinbg my name being dragged through the mud by conspiracy theorists.

"Audeze might decide to cripple the non-X in a firmware update so it doesn't work with PS5 despite being a generic audio device."
-MLE, fearmongering to less tech savvy consumers

Audeze told me (as well as on this thread) that just because it may work now, does not mean it will work in the future. Literally what was communicated with me. How am I fearmongering when that is literally was what stated by Auideze themselves? I'm merely stating what I told. And because of that, I rather err on the side of caution by saying you should buy the product for the console you're going to be using for the sake of being safe and officially supported. Not sure what else I need to say about this. If you want to read into that, I'm blushing at how much attention you're giving me. You want my number? I'm currently single.

"I buy products for what I need now, not what I might need in the future"
-MLE, on why you should not buy the X based on immediate need.

Not sure how "Hey, I buy products with the intent on selling them" is a 'necessity'. I don't buy products going into them like "Hey I definitely just bought these, and will sell them." Not sure of the logic behind that mentality. I buy products for what I need. Period. What you need, and what you want to sell in the future, are two very different reasons for getting something. I choose to think of my purchases for their actual use case, not how much I can sell them for later. Either way, the Penrose will sell to PS users, and the X will sell to Xbox users.

"Ignore the shortcomings of this product because Audeze might be able to fix them in future software/firmware updates."
-MLE, on why you should buy a subpar product regardless of immediate need.

Never said any of this. I didn't say ignore. Early life issues are usually fixed within weeks, so if you're making choices based on first day problems, perhaps don't buy anything ever. If you don't want to deal with release day teething pains, hey that's on you. But when these things get fixed weeks down the line, you're going to look very silly. Or rather, more than you do now.
You need to stop taking this thread so seriously. Does every reply have to be a book?

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #1,903 of 7,191
This one does it for me:

(apologies, working right now but I'll find a YouTube link to something that does it later)

You can try this song attached below ... basically any soft piano music with note by note slowly will reveal the defect.

https://music.apple.com/ca/album/kiss-the-rain/1437486308?i=1437486702

Like another poster said, it’s quite disappointed for a high end headphone brand that is known for its reputation of audiophile quality that let such issue slip through the cracks. Hope it’s just a software issue instead of hardware one, and Audeze will look into seriously and fix it asap!
Well, I can definitely hear what you're talking about, especially at lower volumes. Definitely a little disappointing. Now that I know what to listen for I guess I'll see if I notice it in my day to day use. Hopefully I'll be able to tune it out because if I have to return these I really don't see anything else wireless in the market that can replace them for me.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #1,904 of 7,191
As bad as the wireless range is, the wooshing is an even worse problem in my eyes. At least they would be usable as an audiophile device with an extension for the adapter. As such, their performance with low volumes is abysmal. I really, really hope these issues can be addressed through firmware, but I'm really scared it's a hardware defect.

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #1,905 of 7,191
Good news: the wireless range on the PS5 is very good. I can walk 15 feet away with no issues. So I'll chalk that up to USB issues on PC.

But the wooshing. Wow. It's immediately noticeable when navigating the PS5 interface. Just scroll around the menu and you'll hear it immediately.

edit: actually it's the background PS5 ambient music that triggers it. But now that I've heard it, I can't unhear it. It's present everywhere. Demon's Souls sounds awful with the light ambient sounds. Anything quiet or subtle triggers it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back