Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Oct 26, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #587 of 7,191
So can anyone answer if the Penrose X would work on PlayStation as well?

From what I understand, the wireless audio on both will be through the 2.4ghz signal transmitted through the usb dongle.

The Penrose X seem like they would have Microsoft’s proprietary tech to allow chat through the headset. However, the headsets also support Blutooth and that’s what PlayStation uses for chat if I’m not mistaken. If so, seems like one should be able to chat on the PS5 or Series X through the Penrose X.

As far as game audio, both the Penrose and Penrose X transmit audio through the 2.4 ghz signal via the usb dongle. So plugging in that usb dongle from the Penrose or Penrose X on either the PS5 or Series X should transmit game audio without any issues.

So long story short, the Penrose X should have chat and game audio on Series X and PS5. The Penrose should have game audio on PS5 and Series X while having chat functionality only on PS5. Is this an accurate assessment?

Really trying to place a pre-order but want to understand the functionality of both versions.

Oct 27, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #588 of 7,191
So can anyone answer if the Penrose X would work on PlayStation as well?

From what I understand, the wireless audio on both will be through the 2.4ghz signal transmitted through the usb dongle.

The Penrose X seem like they would have Microsoft’s proprietary tech to allow chat through the headset. However, the headsets also support Blutooth and that’s what PlayStation uses for chat if I’m not mistaken. If so, seems like one should be able to chat on the PS5 or Series X through the Penrose X.

As far as game audio, both the Penrose and Penrose X transmit audio through the 2.4 ghz signal via the usb dongle. So plugging in that usb dongle from the Penrose or Penrose X on either the PS5 or Series X should transmit game audio without any issues.

So long story short, the Penrose X should have chat and game audio on Series X and PS5. The Penrose should have game audio on PS5 and Series X while having chat functionality only on PS5. Is this an accurate assessment?

Really trying to place a pre-order but want to understand the functionality of both versions.

See my previous post. Official statement from customer service is neither version works on the opposite console. I came to the same conclusion as you though, and changed my Penrose pre-order to the Penrose X. I was able to pre-order both consoles, so barring any unforeseen delays, should be able to test around 11/12. I'll post an update when I get all 3 units in, though this will obviously be after the Pre-Order phase for these headsets.

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #589 of 7,191
See my previous post. Official statement from customer service is neither version works on the opposite console. I came to the same conclusion as you though, and changed my Penrose pre-order to the Penrose X. I was able to pre-order both consoles, so barring any unforeseen delays, should be able to test around 11/12. I'll post an update when I get all 3 units in, though this will obviously be after the Pre-Order phase for these headsets.

So you think they are lying about compatibility on the Penrose X? I don't really see the motivation for Audeze in doing that. It would just anger Penrose buyers and cause a bunch of returns.

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #590 of 7,191

I pre-ordered the Penrose. Now I'm thinking of contacting Audeze and changing that to the X. The Arctis 7 and Arctis 7x work the same way as what the Penrose sound like they should. The Arctis 7x do in fact work on Xbox One and PS4 (chat and game audio on both). In fact, if the Penrose come in before the new consoles, people should be able to try them on PS4 and Xbox One and come to an accurate understanding of how they would work on PS5 and Series X.

Oct 27, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #591 of 7,191
No I don't think the rep was lying, perhaps uninformed; or maybe 100% correct. Just have a hard time understanding why it wouldn't work, if the toggle on the dongle works in the same way as the one on the SteelSeries Arctis 7X, then it should work fine on Playstation platforms. I mean, if it's usable with general platforms like Windows and Switch, what would prevent it from use on a PlayStation. For me, ultimately, I'll probably end up playing mostly on Xbox anyways; so the swap to the Penrose X was just a logical switch to make.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #593 of 7,191
Did you have to chase them for this? I find their general communication to be pretty poor, considering they take payment in advance, I would have liked an automated e-mail each time they had news of a delay to shipment etc.

Thanks for the update though! So, if I'm reading this correctly, we should probably expect our delivery (in the UK at least) of Penrose W/C 2nd November, with the Penrose X to follow a week later JUST in time for XSX launch.
Hi,

I didn’t have to chase them for it. They just emailed me randomly to say there would be a delay.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #594 of 7,191
No I don't think the rep was lying, perhaps uninformed; or maybe 100% correct. Just have a hard time understanding why it wouldn't work, if the toggle on the dongle works in the same way as the one on the SteelSeries Arctis 7X, then it should work fine on Playstation platforms.

Alternatively, it could work like the CloudX Flight, which works on Xbox and Windows.

I don't think it would be an issue of miscommunication from a rep if they are being deceptive about compatibility. This is what it says on their website:

• What's the difference between Penrose and Penrose X?
    1. Penrose is compatible with PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 gaming consoles, as well as Windows and Macintosh systems. Penrose X is designed for Xbox, and is compatible with Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, as well as Windows systems.

I guess we shall see. If it turns out that Penrose is just an inferior version of Penrose X, then I'll return it.

Oct 27, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #595 of 7,191
Alternatively, it could work like the CloudX Flight, which works on Xbox and Windows.

I don't think it would be an issue of miscommunication from a rep if they are being deceptive about compatibility. This is what it says on their website:

I guess we shall see. If it turns out that Penrose is just an inferior version of Penrose X, then I'll return it.

The CloudX dongle doesn’t look like it has a toggle switch though. The Arctis 7x and Penrose X do have one. Just wish we could get some official confirmation from Audeze. Steel series advertises the Arctis 7x for Xbox but it does still mention that it works on PS in a small blurb which most people will miss on their site.

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #597 of 7,191
I was hoping to have mine before the Series X launch on the 10th but now I'm starting to think that may not happen.

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #598 of 7,191
Hello, just pre-ordered Penrose. I'm going to use them mainly as a PC and travel* wireless headphones, so I wonder how they withstand different weather conditions? Rain, snow, low temperatures?

* - sounds funny, given current world condition

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #600 of 7,191
Hello! I just ordered the Audeze Penrose and I have some questions.

The main reason I ordered these headphones was because my friend told me that I can use them for my PC and PS4 at the same time, is that accurate? And if so, how?

I know that the PS4 have 2.4ghz bluetooth and the Penrose have 5.0. The 5.0 bluetooth is only backwards compatible with 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2. Is the best option to use the wifi-dongle that comes with the headphones to the PS4, and buy a Bluetooth 5.0 dongle and insert in my PC, or vice versa? Any recommandations?

Best regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back