Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Oct 21, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #556 of 7,191
Do we know how they will sound with the 3.5mm straight into motherboard, no external DAC? Will the mic take a big hit? I've tried V-moda boompro for example, and my motherboard wasn't exactly a good environment for that one. Static in background.

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #557 of 7,191
Just got this from HifiHeadphones:
We are sorry to inform you that the Audeze Penrose and Penrose X shipments have been delayed. Audeze have stated that the Penrose will ship to us on the 26th October, and the Penrose X on or around the 1st November.
Please note that the shipping time from Audeze to our warehouse is roughly 3-5 working days and we will dispatch the items as soon as possible to our customers. The above dates are subject to change should there be any further delays, in which case you will be informed via email.
Hopefully we can get them before the consoles arrive!

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #558 of 7,191
Do we know how they will sound with the 3.5mm straight into motherboard, no external DAC? Will the mic take a big hit? I've tried V-moda boompro for example, and my motherboard wasn't exactly a good environment for that one. Static in background.
Yes I'm also wondering this. Is it not advised for me to plug these into my Schiit audio modi 2 and magni 2 stack? Or should I plug directly into the motherboard?

Oct 21, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #559 of 7,191
Yes I'm also wondering this. Is it not advised for me to plug these into my Schiit audio modi 2 and magni 2 stack? Or should I plug directly into the motherboard?
Personally I don't even have a DAC anymore, so it would be nice to know. DACs are so wildly overpriced here, so it would be a nice bonus if it somehow worked well without one.
After hearing the wireless mic sample I'm 100% sure I'll never use it wireless.

Oct 21, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #560 of 7,191
Personally I don't even have a DAC anymore, so it would be nice to know. DACs are so wildly overpriced here, so it would be a nice bonus if it somehow worked well without one.
After hearing the wireless mic sample I'm 100% sure I'll never use it wireless.

If you can order from AliExpress you can find very cheap USB-C DACs from China. They start around $5. Just make sure to check that it supports microphone input, since not all of them do.

Oct 21, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #561 of 7,191
I need help choosing between the penrose and hyperx cloud orbit. Determining factor for me is just sound quality.
I do not need the wireless that penrose offers so that is just a plus.
Since consoles do not output hi res audio, the sample rate of audio coming from it will be at 16bit/48khz which is the maximum that the penrose can offer, leaving the feature of hi res audio on the orbit useless.
So since the general consensus is that wired is better than wireless, will the cloud orbit sound better than the penrose since they play the same sample rate?
However, if the 16bit/48khz of the penrose that audeze has promised is really true, the better package would be the penrose since it is wireless.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #562 of 7,191
I need help choosing between the penrose and hyperx cloud orbit. Determining factor for me is just sound quality.
I do not need the wireless that penrose offers so that is just a plus.
Since consoles do not output hi res audio, the sample rate of audio coming from it will be at 16bit/48khz which is the maximum that the penrose can offer, leaving the feature of hi res audio on the orbit useless.
So since the general consensus is that wired is better than wireless, will the cloud orbit sound better than the penrose since they play the same sample rate?
However, if the 16bit/48khz of the penrose that audeze has promised is really true, the better package would be the penrose since it is wireless.
We typically ask our users to try them before deciding. But in this particular case, Penrose has a couple of advantages
a. Newer electronics - better dynamic range and lower noise floor
b. More balanced sound signature

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Oct 21, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #563 of 7,191
I preordered the Penrose X, but I have some questions about the audio it delivers. What does it mean when it says lossless audio? Is it basically hi-resolution audio? Will I get some form of a higher-resolution audio when the headphones are connected wirelessly to the Xbox Series X? That would be amazing if I can... I know other headsets say "lossless connection" but Idk what that means exactly lol. I just know I love listening to FLAC music while playing games on Xbox; I can easily tell a difference in quality between FLAC and MP3 files, even though my Astro A50 Gen 4's do not support hi-res pretty sure. Also, I'm hoping the 10hz-50kHz frequency response is also possible with wireless connection to the Series X. That's all. Really just hoping the headset will provide a big jump in audio quality and comfort compared to what I have. ^_^

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #564 of 7,191
Will the broadcast quality microphone be available as a new LCD Boom Microphone Cable?

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #565 of 7,191
I preordered the Penrose X, but I have some questions about the audio it delivers. What does it mean when it says lossless audio? Is it basically hi-resolution audio? Will I get some form of a higher-resolution audio when the headphones are connected wirelessly to the Xbox Series X? That would be amazing if I can... I know other headsets say "lossless connection" but Idk what that means exactly lol. I just know I love listening to FLAC music while playing games on Xbox; I can easily tell a difference in quality between FLAC and MP3 files, even though my Astro A50 Gen 4's do not support hi-res pretty sure. Also, I'm hoping the 10hz-50kHz frequency response is also possible with wireless connection to the Series X. That's all. Really just hoping the headset will provide a big jump in audio quality and comfort compared to what I have. ^_^

Lossless is an easy concept. It means the signal sent from your computer and signal reproduced at your headset is identical, whereas in bluetooth there will be some loss of data due to the codec used for wireless transmission. It does not enhance audio by itself, you'll get the signal that is being sent from the source as such. That said, I am not sure what bitrate is the transmission restricted to based on which you likely won't get the full FLAC quality.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #566 of 7,191
Just got this from HifiHeadphones:
We are sorry to inform you that the Audeze Penrose and Penrose X shipments have been delayed. Audeze have stated that the Penrose will ship to us on the 26th October, and the Penrose X on or around the 1st November.
Please note that the shipping time from Audeze to our warehouse is roughly 3-5 working days and we will dispatch the items as soon as possible to our customers. The above dates are subject to change should there be any further delays, in which case you will be informed via email.
Hopefully we can get them before the consoles arrive!

Did you have to chase them for this? I find their general communication to be pretty poor, considering they take payment in advance, I would have liked an automated e-mail each time they had news of a delay to shipment etc.

Thanks for the update though! So, if I'm reading this correctly, we should probably expect our delivery (in the UK at least) of Penrose W/C 2nd November, with the Penrose X to follow a week later JUST in time for XSX launch.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #569 of 7,191
I pre-ordered a pair of non-X Penrose headphones about 2 and a half months ago, and I'm looking forward to the release.

Something stuck out to me from another user's post and the official Audeze post about the microphone stream being band-limited. From the graphs shown, it looks like the low end of the range is 80Hz. My voice tends to range from 65-100 Hz, and my current mics both cut in and out between overtones and the fundamental frequency, which sounds weird in comms. I was hoping the focus on a broadcast quality mic wouldn't have this limitation.

I have a background in wireless and DSP, so I understand the source of these limitations. Does the band limit extend back to the ADC hardware, or is it somewhere in postprocessing firmware for low-bandwidth transmission? If the latter, is it possible to shift the usable band downward for lower voices?

Oct 23, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #570 of 7,191
This! If penrose could connect by usb, I would not have a hard time deciding!
The problem is the complexity of the headphones in general. The feedback on Mobius is generally positive, but one of the comments is about complexity of the headphone. While the top 10% of users like all the options we give, a majority use it with the standard 7.1 mode. When we designed the Penrose, adding USB would make 4 types of connection possible (Wireless, USB, Analog and BT). What happens when both USB and wireless dongle are connected. Different VID/PID for USB connections etc make it very complex to manage.
A Mobius in Hires mode would be a Penrose with USB connection.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back