Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Oct 7, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #6,902 of 7,191
Which headphone do you currently game with.I wouldn't say it was dark,too bright if anything.Nothing eq won't solve.The mobile phone app is good for eq on the fly,but it's only for android I think,not too sure.
I game with HD6xx and tygr300r. Occasionally hd280 pro. Either out of my creative x3 amp/dac or main desktop stack of aune s6 pro and s7. 2 weeks ago I snagged a Logitech g535 and now I really dig the idea of going fully airless.

The g535 doesn’t get loud enough at all and the midrange is pretty messy hard to tell stuff apart when things get hectic in bf2042. It also doesn’t isolate at all and leaks more than an open bakc. But it is cheap and comfortable. But I want something that will really bring my games to life. Even the single player ones.

Oct 8, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #6,903 of 7,191
I have taken the time to check out a bunch more reviews on youtube, as well as a few written ones, and I am getting conflicting reports on the sound signature. Some say it is too dark, while others criticize it for being too bright lol. Now I can't even gauge if it is an impressive headphone compared to my regulars. What's the consensus on sound with stock pads?
I would stick with your regulars,some wicked headphones there,penrose has too many problems!

Oct 11, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #6,904 of 7,191
Unfortunately after almost two years of ownership, my Penrose broke too. Seems like a weak point in the band. This sucks :frowning2:

These were really great headphones, but I don’t think I can justify purchasing a pair every ~2 years. I wonder if this can be fixed.

Same boat here, and I’ll be contacting support about this for the second time in a year after receiving a replacement unit in February because of the same problem (mine hadn’t fully let go, but had hairline cracks on both sides in the same spot as your photo). My replacement’s began to slightly crack in the same spot on the left side.

On the one hand, kudos to Audeze for doing right by their customers with this, but on the other hand…damn. It definitely is a weak point on this headset. I use mine daily but take good care of it and hang it on a stand, so hopefully coming products will have this all ironed out.

Nevertheless, it’s worth the hassle because other gaming headsets just don’t sound this good.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #6,905 of 7,191
Same boat here, and I’ll be contacting support about this for the second time in a year after receiving a replacement unit in February because of the same problem (mine hadn’t fully let go, but had hairline cracks on both sides in the same spot as your photo). My replacement’s began to slightly crack in the same spot on the left side.

On the one hand, kudos to Audeze for doing right by their customers with this, but on the other hand…damn. It definitely is a weak point on this headset. I use mine daily but take good care of it and hang it on a stand, so hopefully coming products will have this all ironed out.

Nevertheless, it’s worth the hassle because other gaming headsets just don’t sound this good.
I think I've come to the conclusion that I really just want them to release a new version that has improvements and better build quality. I would even be happy to pay a bit more of the upgrades were worthy. Whilst they appear to have been good with replacements etc, there are still weaknesses that I struggle to look past (particularly the numerous parts of the headset breaking), and various other issues such as wireless range (or interference) and some of the controls. It would be nice to hear if and when a next version was expected.

Oct 12, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #6,906 of 7,191
I think I've come to the conclusion that I really just want them to release a new version that has improvements and better build quality. I would even be happy to pay a bit more of the upgrades were worthy. Whilst they appear to have been good with replacements etc, there are still weaknesses that I struggle to look past (particularly the numerous parts of the headset breaking), and various other issues such as wireless range (or interference) and some of the controls. It would be nice to hear if and when a next version was expected.
Would love a new version to be announced - small as it might seem, also having consistent voice prompts across the modes would also help justify my £300 expense! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 20, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #6,909 of 7,191
Help. My headphones won't switch on. They're fully charged and even with the cable in the light doesn't come on anymore.

They were working just find earlier. I switched them off and then switched them back on again and nothing happened and they won't turn on.

Edit: Should have read the FAQs.

Pressing and holding the Headphone Volume Wheel, Mic Volume Wheel and Multi-Function Button at the same time will force-reboot Penrose. This may be useful if Penrose develops stage-fright or other disagreeable attitudes.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #6,910 of 7,191
Would love a new version to be announced - small as it might seem, also having consistent voice prompts across the modes would also help justify my £300 expense! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Help. My headphones won't switch on. They're fully charged and even with the cable in the light doesn't come on anymore.

They were working just find earlier. I switched them off and then switched them back on again and nothing happened and they won't turn on.

Edit: Should have read the FAQs.

Pressing and holding the Headphone Volume Wheel, Mic Volume Wheel and Multi-Function Button at the same time will force-reboot Penrose. This may be useful if Penrose develops stage-fright or other disagreeable attitudes.
When mine starts playing up usually a week after Heavy gaming,I do the hard reset as well,hey ho!

Oct 23, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #6,912 of 7,191
Well my penrose finally snapped on me and because I got it from scan here in the uk and it’s out of warranty I have to buy another. I can’t bring myself to spend 300 pound though for it to snap like this so easily I was only taking them off my head.

Attachments

• 032784EA-E1ED-4766-A731-1820E07430E7.jpeg
    032784EA-E1ED-4766-A731-1820E07430E7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 24, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #6,915 of 7,191
I need a piece of advise.
For the past year I have been using Ifi Zen DAC v2 with Audiotechnica ATH-990z + Brainwavz Pads for my gaming audio. For the past 6 months I play exclusively Red Dead Redemtption 2 on a PC (I don't own console)
Since I want to "cut the cord", after watching some reviews, I bought ArctisNova 7X. Unfortunately the sound experience was not what I was hoped for. I returned them for these 3 reasons (least to most, based on RDR2):
1. The just sound small in comparison to ATH-990z
2. The dialogs in the cut scenes are lifeless
3. There are simply no audible layers of sound, it is just one big blop of sound. On a scene with dialog, horse riding (remember, I compare them in RDR2) and background music, the ATH-990z renders everything where it is supposed to be - the dialog is front and most clear, hoofs are sounding in the front, but still somehow "below" the dialog and the background music is where it is supposed to be - in the background. The Artics sound flat and I cannot capture this separations on the sound stage.

So, after returning them, I was left with the only, presumably better, options - Audeze Penrose X.
Now, my main question - based on this little story above, will I get what I want with Penrose?
And maybe a secondary one - will they break? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back