Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Jul 15, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #46 of 7,191
Penrose is a stereo headphone. It will support whatever PS5 gives out via it's stereo headphone output. We don't yet know what PS5 will give out through that. It's down to Sony.

Regarding Penrose (PS5) version, NOT the Xbox version.

Hypothetically speaking, if the game or movie supports 7.1 surround sound or the Dolby Atmos format on the PC, will the headphone be able to output to 7.1 surround sound / Dolby Atmos format? Or will the output still be stereo and NOT take advantage of the surround sound formats?

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #47 of 7,191
Regarding Penrose (PS5) version, NOT the Xbox version.

Hypothetically speaking, if the game or movie supports 7.1 surround sound or the Dolby Atmos format on the PC, will the headphone be able to output to 7.1 surround sound / Dolby Atmos format? Or will the output still be stereo and NOT take advantage of the surround sound formats?

The headphone has only two drivers, one for each ear. So any spatial format like Dolby Atmos or DTS or PCM 7.1 or Tempest for PS5 needs to be mixed down to stereo format and cannot be directly used with headphones. Most of these formats such as the Dolby Atmos, DTS, Windows Sonic and Tempest are proprietary and need decoders. The decoder takes the object based audio placed in a 3D space and converts it to binaural audio for your right and left ear. This is done using HRTFs and Signal processing. It is like placing virtual speakers around you and computing what your ears may hear.

Dolby Atmos, DTS and Windows Sonic provide Apps for both Xbox and Windows for headphones to do this mixdown so the headphone does not require any special hardware or decoder and can simply use the output of Dolby Atmos/DTS/Windows Sonic. PS5 Tempest will also have a similar option going by their presentation.

The short answer to your question is yes Penrose will be able to take advantage of these special formats but requires only the stereo output.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #48 of 7,191
Yes Penrose will support Game/Chat mix

An Audeze response on one of their YouTube videos seems to imply that Game/Chat mix won't/can't be implemented on the PS4/5 version?? Appreciate the Xbox one can as its confirmed on the main site but if the PS version could do it also, wouldn't the marketing material show/mention this?

Would like to get these but if the mix functionality is not available then I'll stick with what I have. TIA

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #49 of 7,191
In the future, will you implement surround sound like you did with the Mobius? Will the Mobius continue to be sold or discontinued? What is the impedance (ohms) on the cable for the Penrose if I want to connect the 3.5mm cable to an amp? Thank you in advance.
We do not have any such plans to support surround sound and head-tracking within Penrose as the hardware and sdk do not support it. Penrose will still take advantage of any surround sound virtualization provided by the console PC or Mac.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #50 of 7,191
We do not have any such plans to support surround sound and head-tracking within Penrose as the hardware and sdk do not support it. Penrose will still take advantage of any surround sound virtualization provided by the console PC or Mac.
Thank you. Will the Mobius be discontinued? I think the Penrose might be the perfect headset for the PS4/5

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #51 of 7,191
An Audeze response on one of their YouTube videos seems to imply that Game/Chat mix won't/can't be implemented on the PS4/5 version?? Appreciate the Xbox one can as its confirmed on the main site but if the PS version could do it also, wouldn't the marketing material show/mention this?

Would like to get these but if the mix functionality is not available then I'll stick with what I have. TIA
I should have been more clear. Game/chat mix is supported via the headphone on Xbox but unlike Xbox PS4/PS5 does not expose the control for the mix via USB. So you will have to do the Game/Chat mix on the console. Sorry for the confusion.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #52 of 7,191
I should have been more clear. Game/chat mix is supported via the headphone on Xbox but unlike Xbox PS4/PS5 does not expose the control for the mix via USB. So you will have to do the Game/Chat mix on the console. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem - thanks for clarifying. I thought I had read somewhere before this was the case but hoped PS5 might bring something new/improved.

Guessing only the in house/official wireless headset will have this functionality then :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #53 of 7,191
What is the impedance (ohms) on the cable for the Penrose if I want to connect the 3.5mm cable to an amp? Thank you in advance.
Using Aux out of an Amp is not the best way to use Penrose. I will try to find the input impedance for Aux input. You will still have to keep the Amp output to line level (2.5v or lower) to avoid clipping. Penrose is Active only headphone so your input into Aux will go through a A/D converter, DSP and then an Amp again.

No problem - thanks for clarifying. I thought I had read somewhere before this was the case but hoped PS5 might bring something new/improved.
Yes we hope for the same.

Thank you. Will the Mobius be discontinued? I think the Penrose might be the perfect headset for the PS4/5
No we love Mobius far too much for that. We see Mobius as a platform that will continue to improve via FW updates and other possibilities such as allowing plugins and Apps to make use of head tracking information. On windows and Mac, Mobius is not only great for gaming but also for Movies and multi-channel music.

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #54 of 7,191
The headphone has only two drivers, one for each ear. So any spatial format like Dolby Atmos or DTS or PCM 7.1 or Tempest for PS5 needs to be mixed down to stereo format and cannot be directly used with headphones. Most of these formats such as the Dolby Atmos, DTS, Windows Sonic and Tempest are proprietary and need decoders. The decoder takes the object based audio placed in a 3D pace and converts it to binaural audio for your right and left ear. This is done using HRTFs and Signal processing. It is like placing virtual speakers around you and computing what your ears may hear.

Dolby Atmos, DTS and Windows Sonic provide Apps for both Xbox and Windows for headphones to do this mixdown so the headphone does not require any special hardware or decoder and can simply use the output of Dolby Atmos/DTS/Windows Sonic. PS5 Tempest will also have a similar option going by their presentation.

The short answer to your question is yes Penrose will be able to take advantage of these special formats but requires only the stereo output.

Thank you. So if I wanted to purchase a wireless gaming headphone for my PC then which version should I be buying? I would use my headphone for gaming, listening to music and watching movies.

Because I don't like the colour green, I am leaning towards the PS5 (blue) version.
If I opt for the PS5 version and use this on the PC, would it be able to decode games and movies that have Dolby Atmos and others?

Stereo is the classic Left & Right(Two sources of audio channels)

5.1 has Front Left, Front Right + Surround Left, Surround Right, a Center channel and a Sub Woofer(.1)

7.1 has all of the above plus two more channels Side Left and Side Right

Based on the above assumption, are you saying that the audio coming out of Penrose is limited to stereo and not 5.1 or 7.1 as explained briefly just above it?

Jul 15, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #55 of 7,191
Because I don't like the colour green, I am leaning towards the PS5 (blue) version.
If I opt for the PS5 version and use this on the PC, would it be able to decode games and movies that have Dolby Atmos and others?
Yes that is correct, it will work for you needs. If you did not mind the green color or you do not plan to use it with PS5, I would recommend the Xbox version for best compatibility with everything Microsoft.

5.1 has Front Left, Front Right + Surround Left, Surround Right, a Center channel and a Sub Woofer(.1)

Based on the above assumption, are you saying that the audio coming out of Penrose is limited to stereo and not 5.1 or 7.1 as explained briefly just above it?
Yes that is correct, Penrose will appear as a stereo device and will not be able to take advantage of 5.1 or 7.1 sound. If you want to take advantage of 5.1 or 7.1 on Windows, Mobius may be the better option. But it is wired only (USB).

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #56 of 7,191
Is the dongle support Nintendo Switch USB Audio out?

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #57 of 7,191
Thank you. So if I wanted to purchase a wireless gaming headphone for my PC then which version should I be buying? I would use my headphone for gaming, listening to music and watching movies.

Any and every virtual surround sound device all end up outputting on stereo. "REAL" surround headphones are exceedingly rare, and considerably worse than any decent headphone. Why? Because real surround headphones jam many small inferior drivers into each cup, instead of two very good drivers.

Dolby Headphone, Sennheiser GSX, Creative SBX, the Mobius headtracking htrf, Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos, etc, ALL are virtual surround that output to STEREO headphones. Those technologies are all what convert the 5.1/7.1 signal into a surround mixed into 2 channels.

The new Xbox and PS5 have similar tech built into the systems themselves, so there is no longer a need for external devices, unless you just want a different flavor of virtual surround. This is why the Penrose doesn't need to include such tech. The systems already have it.

My headphone guide revolved around the use of virtual surround for headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #60 of 7,191
Three questions:

1. Can Penrose deliver hi-res sound as does Mobius?
2. Does it deliver sound through wired USB or only charging?
3. Is the Penrose mic superior to Mobius, or is it the same? I don't use the Mobius mic, it's not up to snuff. I use a NT1 or my Logitech GPro X headset and mic instead.

If it's no to any of those, I'll stick to Mobius. It has everything I want (except a good mic), including 3D sound. If Penrose can charge while listening to 3.5mm sound output, that would be a plus, but not good enough to make me get it. This looks like it's targeted more to wireless console gamers more than wired PC audiophiles like me - although am I sorely tempted to pre-order and find some use for a Penrose, lol.

However, if the Penrose mic is truly better and can plug into my Mobius, I have a final question - Can Mobius owners purchase just the Penrose mic separately?

Thanks for your great products!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back