Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Mar 1, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #5,251 of 7,191
Man sometimes i'm wondering if i won't do the same...

Penrose sound is brilliant, no debate.

BUT
:
  • the most disappointing point for me : the microphone is infinitely worse than a basic microphone (my previous HyperX Cloud II for example) on Discord. For a 300 euros headset, common...
  • I often have a "wind noise" in left ear in wireless mode (i hear it when there's no sound)
  • sometimes, it's quite rare, the sound cracks in wireless mode (while there is sound)
  • wireless range is not a big issue for me, but when sometimes I move a few meters and lose the signal, it's extremely frustrating (why have wireless?)
And Audeze not communicating to reassure me, I wonder if I was not wrong in purchasing this product. At this price, I shouldn't have any disappointment.
I returned mine and picked up a Beyerdynamic MMX 300. Not wireless, but a superb headset so no regrets here. The Audeze sound great, but there's just too many issues for me
Maybe I'll give them a go if there's a future revision. It's too much money to have that many problems.

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #5,252 of 7,191
Good Day,

Finally my Penrose X was cleared from customs and I have tested it with a XBOX X Series during last weekend. I also have the PS version for my PS5 but havent tested too much. Before giving my brief opinions I have to say the following so as to establish a correct background for my words:

1.- I am a gamer more than 30 years, but now, due to work, I dont have too much time to play. So, everyday (and really not everyday) I dont play more than two and a half hours.
2.- My "playing room" is really small (3x2 meters) with all sort of signals because in the same large desk I have a PS5, XBOX X Series, Receiver with eleven speakers and a subwoofer, TV Decoder, a NAS, two PCs (one Notebook), ISP Modem, a Router, a Bluray Player, and Alexa system with all of the items mentioned attached to her. All I have said is not for listing what I have, but to establish that the radial interference is really dense here.
3.- Before buying Penroses, for my XBOX X Series I was using an Astro 50 Last Gen and for my PS5 a PS Platinum Headset.

Having said that, my humble opinions are the following:

1.- Talking about quality, Penrose put both, Astro and PS Headset to shame. I now can listen in games sounds I didnt know existed. Quality is superb.
2.- Wireless range is awful. Within my room no problem. But putting one step out of the room the signal is lost and I began listening "Conected" every two seconds. With my Astro 50 there was no problem walking across all my Department with only some specific spots losing signal.
3.- Head band makes a significant amount of preassure in my head and speakers in my ears. I thought it would be worse, but after two hours of gameplay I feel a little pain in my ears.
4.- Mix Chat with Penrose X is AWFUL. You have to press the Mic Dial and then, after releasing it, turn the dial. But is too difficult to set a correct position and soon you realize that you are changing Mic volume (done without pressing Dial ) instead of Mix Chat. Also I have a problem using Mix Chat. After pressing MIC Dial I dont know why but other players listen to me but I dont listen them. I have to turn off the Headphone to be back to normal. I dont know if someone else have this issue, buy I solved it using Mix Chat in Bluetooth mode with Audeze Phone app. But again, the problem doing that is the fact that the app is too slow...I mean response time is really slow...maybe due to Bluetooth connection.
5.- About Mic...no problems at all. Even friends told me they listen me more clear now than before using Astro 50.
6.- I know is a fact of personal taste but I hate Mics like the Penrose one. They are so bulky, they tend to bend, etc. I really prefer the Astro 50 one which is stiff and lifting it up mute the headphone and protect the MIC.
7.- Making calls while playing is great. But I agree there is need to be able to separate both volumes. I know there is a Firmware coming with that...hope it will be well done. But also you have to mute the Party, so as no to be listened while talking by phone, and with the X Series is a bit difficult to mute party...and then, after talking, you forget you are muted, Why not muting autimatically Party while making a Call and after finished unmute automatically again?
8.- Finally about HICs, CRACKs, etc...no problem at all. Only when navigating XBOX Interfase I listen them, but during gameplay nothing, so thats not problem for me.

Hope all of above can be useful to others. In summary I am happy with Penrose, but I agree with others...is a "gem" not polished.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #5,253 of 7,191
Man sometimes i'm wondering if i won't do the same...

Penrose sound is brilliant, no debate.

BUT
:
  • I often have a "wind noise" in left ear in wireless mode (i hear it when there's

• Please send an email to them or file a ticket with their zendesk site about the wind noise if you haven’t already. I have a ticket in about it but they may not be tracking these messages regularly.

Mar 1, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #5,254 of 7,191
Hello,

I also have a problem with my penrose x regarding auto shutdown.
When I'm playing, penrose connected via Stick to my XSX it's fine, it doesn't shut off. I disabled the auto sleep in the audeze Software on PC.
But as soon as I connect it simultaneously via bluetooth to my Samsung TV while playing, it shuts itself down after some time in the middle of a game, although there is constantly Audio playing.

Is this a known issue or is there even a workaround?

greetings
Have you contacted support@audeze about this issue ? In our test bench we have several units playing both 2.4 and BT at the same time and haven't seen this issue. if you have already contacted support, send me your ticket number. will followup.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 2, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #5,255 of 7,191
Does anyone else feel the battery percentage in AudezeHQ is a pretend number plucked between 0 and 100? I have put mine on charge at 24%, it got to 100% less than an hour but the red LED was still blinking, I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the percentage dropped to 51%. Not a clue how to judge what this number is doing. Great headset but my god is there some issues with them

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #5,256 of 7,191
I returned mine and picked up a Beyerdynamic MMX 300. Not wireless, but a superb headset so no regrets here. The Audeze sound great, but there's just too many issues for me
Maybe I'll give them a go if there's a future revision. It's too much money to have that many problems.

I think the same. I like the intention but this product seems unfinished and we have no real visibility on possible or planned improvements via firmware. Are you 100% happy with the MMX 300 in comparison? Sound quality? Mic quality?

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #5,258 of 7,191
Does anyone else feel the battery percentage in AudezeHQ is a pretend number plucked between 0 and 100? I have put mine on charge at 24%, it got to 100% less than an hour but the red LED was still blinking, I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the percentage dropped to 51%. Not a clue how to judge what this number is doing. Great headset but my god is there some issues with them
In my experience "Battery Percentage" thing is totally broken, but headset works as stated: nearly 12-14 hours. I was one step away from RMA, but I noticed it in time.

Your can also just unplug and plug it again, usually it refreshes and starts to show right percentage again.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #5,259 of 7,191
I think the same. I like the intention but this product seems unfinished and we have no real visibility on possible or planned improvements via firmware. Are you 100% happy with the MMX 300 in comparison? Sound quality? Mic quality?
Mic is excellent, but for xbox gaming I've sent the MMX back and now have the Sennheiser PC38X from Drop. The MMX developed an odd issue with the cable. Of the two cables it came with, one sounded fine and volume was just enough (double ended cable), the single ended cable had less volume and sounded a bit thin. So I'm apprehensive to recommend them after that issue (totally eating my words about no regrets).

The PC38X however sound fantastic. Totally recommend them. Enough volume from a controller, and even sound half decent with music. I wasn't even charged customs duty on receiving them from the US to the UK (guess DHL might be too busy to process customs charges).

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #5,261 of 7,191
If you want Audeze planar quality, go for Mobius, or like me with the Hyper X Cloud Orbit S. It has everything the Mobius have, except Bluetooth, and it's cheaper. I had the MMX previously, it s an excellent headset but the sound is so much better with the Mobius/Penrose/Cloud Orbit S... Plus you will have the excellent 7.1 like surround sound.
Anyway, i will still be waiting for very good wireless headphones made by Audeze, the Penrose was almost the one, but it fails at the end, and is not worth the price with its many flaws.
Funny thing, its wireless range is not as good as the length of the Cloud Orbit S usb cable... i can go further with the Orbit S, it s really a shame.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #5,262 of 7,191
So I love my Penrose, but it still has some usability issues that I have worked around (range, controls, windows volume integration), and with us now in March and only having had one firmware update I am losing faith that these will be addressed to make the headphones as good as they should be. Because of that there is zero chance of me recommending friends these headphones, as I wouldn’t be able to justify my recommending $400AU headphones with these potential issues if they are unable to workaround them as I have done.

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #5,263 of 7,191
Finally received the Penrose X yesterday after 6 months of waiting and to be honest I'm disappointed. Yes, they sound good, better than the DT770 I have, but not by an insane margin, it's not like I put them on and bam, I'm in a new world. Definitely better, but not overly so. But the comfort is just unbearable. I could probably make them fairly comfortable with the extra headband and the pad swap with the 3d printed part but to be honest, I don't think they're worth it for the price. Will probably be returning them.

I don't have any other problems some other people have, the range is good enough for PC, no whistling, no weird noises, mic seems fine.

Mar 3, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #5,264 of 7,191
im starting to have the right speaker distort, like a crunching distortion like something is brushing up on a tin foil when it vibrates, and i went to inspect the speaker using a light , heres what i saw.

right part of the planars it has 2 bug bubble like protrusion, i think thats the part brushing up on the wave guide on certain human voice or note on a music
edit (1).jpg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #5,265 of 7,191
edit (3).jpg
on the left lower part thiers like a a screw poke it from the inside going out wards
edit (5).jpg

then on the upper close to center part you can see its waving also or not sure if its part of the bubble

its hard to take a picture but is very clear in actual, the distortion started the time when i had a huge massive connected connected problem with pops and crackles in between, was listening to music with a be fairly higher side on the volume, after that i started to notice the distortion on the right side and its getting worst and worst it like the warp foil the is starting to bubble hard to explain

left side perfectly smooth and flat (do distortion like the left side)

ive emailed audeze and waiting for a reply

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back