Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #5,237 of 7,191
Sorry if this has already been discussed. My Penrose X arrived yesterday to replace my Steel series Arctis 9x, this is for Series X use. I'm finding the volume unbearably loud and although it's currently on the lowest level I can achieve without muting I would ideally like it lower. Is this normal or is there a setting I'm missing?

Feb 27, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #5,238 of 7,191
Beats the green on any given day.
EA55DC2F-FC20-4F21-B2C7-BB51D94F4959.jpeg

Feb 27, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #5,239 of 7,191
Has anyone else noticed the swivel joint becoming looser. My left ear cup swivel is very loose and my right one still feels normal, has some stiffness to it.
Was a problem with mobius. They either break off just like the arctis pros do. Or it snaps a little higher up on top of the wishbone just under the 2 screws. Guessing didn't learn the lesson.

Feb 27, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #5,240 of 7,191
Sorry if this has already been discussed. My Penrose X arrived yesterday to replace my Steel series Arctis 9x, this is for Series X use. I'm finding the volume unbearably loud and although it's currently on the lowest level I can achieve without muting I would ideally like it lower. Is this normal or is there a setting I'm missing?
I have never heard this. Your best bet would be contacting support

Feb 28, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #5,243 of 7,191
In a quest for ultimate comfort now the headband is addressed as above, time to fit some real pads. I went with the Brainwavz sheepskin leather as that is what I am familiar with on some of my other cans. I find leather the best being bald from a maintenance/cleanliness point of view. Plus it always helps with the bass.

I covered the 3d printed spacers (earlier in the thread) with felt:
IMG_20210221_133157.jpg

Here is a size comparison between old and new pad:

Here is 1 fitted. It is fairly fiddly to do, not to break anything. But the fit is very good and is not budging:

What I notice immediately with only 1 done, the new pad is slightly quieter because your ear is slightly further away from the driver than with the thinner stock pads. Not a bad thing though, especially if you have larger ears. I would also suggest that the highs are slightly recessed. No more than 1db, so a quick EQ will have it back to exactly what it was before. Bass and mids unchanged to my ears.

Comfort is vastly improved, for me the Brainwavz are a better size for my ear. A true ear-engulfing pad, rather than the original pads which would touch my ears around the perimeter. The seal is better than before too, given the extra thickness of the new pad. The old pads are contoured so you have to be very careful when sitting the can on that the orientation is perfect.

I shan't be going back to the stock pads now. Very pleased these work so well.
Hey jameswalker,

Mind if I ask where you went to get them 3d printed and sent to you? I saw the link for the actual stl file but just wondering where you went to get them printed and shipped to you.

Also do these work by not destroying the original ear cups?

Feb 28, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #5,244 of 7,191
Hey jameswalker,

Mind if I ask where you went to get them 3d printed and sent to you? I saw the link for the actual stl file but just wondering where you went to get them printed and shipped to you.

Also do these work by not destroying the original ear cups?
The link to the part is earlier in the thread. My friend printed them. The original designer first posted it a while back.

No damage whatsoever, can revert at any time.

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #5,245 of 7,191
I got a brand new Hyper-X Cloud S back from Kingston.
I think i m gonna ask a refund for my Penrose. Sound is as good as the Orbit S/Mobius but the microphone poor wireless quality and the fact that wireless range is around 1 or 2 meters is a no go for me. It s a shame that Audeze cannot fix that, my son use a Hyper X wireless and i can go 20 meters away from the usb stick before dropping the signal.

I ll wait for fixes and maybe a V2 before buying this headphones again. I ll stick with a cable i guess, at least no drops, no cracks and good mic quality.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #5,246 of 7,191
Hello,

I also have a problem with my penrose x regarding auto shutdown.
When I'm playing, penrose connected via Stick to my XSX it's fine, it doesn't shut off. I disabled the auto sleep in the audeze Software on PC.
But as soon as I connect it simultaneously via bluetooth to my Samsung TV while playing, it shuts itself down after some time in the middle of a game, although there is constantly Audio playing.

Is this a known issue or is there even a workaround?

greetings

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #5,247 of 7,191
I got a brand new Hyper-X Cloud S back from Kingston.
I think i m gonna ask a refund for my Penrose. Sound is as good as the Orbit S/Mobius but the microphone poor wireless quality and the fact that wireless range is around 3 or 4 meters is a no go for me. It s a shame that Audeze cannot fix that, my son use a Hyper X wireless and i can go 20 meters away from the usb stick before dropping the signal.

I ll wait for fixes and maybe a V2 before buying this headphones again. I ll stick with a cable i guess, at least no drops, no cracks and good mic quality.

Man sometimes i'm wondering if i won't do the same...

Penrose sound is brilliant, no debate.

BUT
:
  • the most disappointing point for me : the microphone is infinitely worse than a basic microphone (my previous HyperX Cloud II for example) on Discord. For a 300 euros headset, common...
  • I often have a "wind noise" in left ear in wireless mode (i hear it when there's no sound)
  • sometimes, it's quite rare, the sound cracks in wireless mode (while there is sound)
  • wireless range is not a big issue for me, but when sometimes I move a few meters and lose the signal, it's extremely frustrating (why have wireless?)
And Audeze not communicating to reassure me, I wonder if I was not wrong in purchasing this product. At this price, I shouldn't have any disappointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back