• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Sep 18, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #6,647 of 7,693
I've spent some time with the Mobius now that I'm back home, and I have experienced a couple of semi-major issues.

First of all, the hiss. It's there, but very quiet on my unit. Since there seems to be quite a bit of variation in units this might not be representative of the unit you might receive, but for me it's only audible at low volumes (8% in Windows via USB) and then only during quiet parts of the music. For me the hiss is pretty much a non-issue, but still something that can be improved.

Secondly and more seriously, there is an audible low-pitched hum whenever the headphone is plugged in via USB to any power source or host. It sounds a bit like a ~40Hz triangle wave to my ears and it is present whether USB charging is turned off or not and it is even present when the headphones themselves are turned off. Unplugging the USB cable immediately removes this hum. I've tested numerous USB ports on my pc and a USB charger and all cause the same hum at the same volume. Like the hiss this is not noticeable during music playback for the most part, but it is a little more noticeable than the hiss to me. This is something that my brain is able to tune out if I don't focus on it, but not everyone is able to do that.

Thirdly, there is some channel imbalance which changes as you change EQ presets. On the default, flat, and music presets there is a slight shift towards the right, while the other presets are pretty much centered. Since the imbalance changes with the presets I'm almost entirely sure this is not a hardware issue, but a firmware one, which I definitely expect to be resolved soon enough. The imbalance is subtle enough to not notice it during normal use, and you can get used to it, but as you change presets it becomes clear that this is indeed an issue.

Other than that I have not experienced any other issues (yet), but I haven't spent enough time with the Mobius to say with certainty that the above three issues are the only ones.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #6,648 of 7,693
I ordered mine via direct from audeze before they raised the price to full price. Ordered in June. I was told shipments would likely begin end of August beginning of September. I know they are a little behind. Just wondering if any other people who ordered direct have received shipping notices or the HP already. I have not.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #6,649 of 7,693
Hi GalaxyMaster, I live in the NL too. Did you get any tracking notification by email? I got a SFC tracking number from Audeze Customer Support, but nothing from SFC nor from any other shipping agengy.
Problem is, there is nobody home, and I don’t know when to expect the package,
I received a tracking email some time ago directly from SFC Services. I was able to track my package the entire time on sendfromchina.com, as well as on dpd.com. The tracking on dpd didn't give me an estimated time-window for when it would be delivered, but I was able to find a page on dpd's website that was able to give me that info. Link: http://www.dpdpredict.nl/

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #6,651 of 7,693
Is usps just dropping them off or required someone present ?

Dropping them off. No signature required, in the US at least.

BTW might want to delete the tracking number from previous posts

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #6,653 of 7,693
Using the aux 3.5 input on the mobius does an analog to digital conversion before using the mobius' built in dac and amp, not recommended.

You'd be better served by something like the wyred4sound recovery, uptone iso regen, intona usb isolator, etc. Galvanic isolation, usb hub chips, clocks, low noise regulators, for a clean usb stream.

So the answer is no, don't use the mini jack. Got it lol

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #6,654 of 7,693
I still have a very very audible hiss. Even my boyfriend who wears cheap IEMs and $20 over ears who insists he can't tell the difference with my other high end cans can immediately hear it. After waiting so long for these, I'm dreading having to send them back. Super disappointed.

@Audeze What steps do I take from here to remedy this?

EDIT: It's present over USB and Bluetooth at equal volumes. It's most pronounced when listening at lower volumes but even approaching 50% it's audible. 3D on or off doesn't matter. 8 channel, 2 channel, hires... Doesn't matter. That dreaded hiss is EXTREMELY audible. I thought the several week delay was to fix this issue? Seems I've waited for no reason.

EDIT #2: It starts fading above 55%. This however is too high for my night time listening while laying in bed with my partner.
It might be noise on your USB hub if it's gone using the 3.5mm cable. Try different USB ports and possibly a different PC if you can.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #6,655 of 7,693
Update on the low-pitched hum on my Mobius, it's not caused by the headphones themselves but rather by the (non-existant) grounding of electronics in my room. Touching the case of my pc with my hand while standing on the floor completely removes the hum. I'll have to look at what I can do to ground my pc as all the outlets in my room are not grounded.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #6,656 of 7,693
So very quick first impressions:

I like the Mobius. It's well placed in its price range and I would say it is worth the 400$ considering its feature set.

The build quality is good. I like the materials but less so the somewhat rough headband adjustments.

It's not the best I've ever heard in that price range in terms of detailed highs but surprisingly detailed overall. I would even consider this to be a default suggestion for someone who wants ONE good set of cans and doesn't want to get too much into the hobby especially regarding amps.

It's definitely a better choice than a 200$ headphone with a 200$ amp.

The 3D effect is surprisingly subtle with music but also not quite the speaker experience I was hoping for, though I haven't tried 7.1 sources nor the app yet and with games I actually prefer less noticeable dsps.

I was probably the most surprises about the EQ setting I like most.... It's the "flat" setting.
Default and especially Music are seemingly less detailed to me and on top of that they don't change the sound signature by much. They mostly seem to miss the dynamics of the flat EQ.

It seems almost like some gain compression going on though the effect is subtle enough that others might prefer the other EQ settings. Just give flat a chance.

The very short bluetooth LDAC impression was great. Need to make further comparisons but to me it very much sounded like it was a wired connection.

I didn't test the mic yet.

Two more things:

There is a very subtle hiss that's imperceptible outdoors but noticeable in quiet rooms. It goes away when playing something though.

I definitely wish I had gone for blue. Copper is nicely subdued but surprisingly... After seeing so many pictures of blue Mobius... it just seems boring, plain and... Brown in comparison. ^^

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #6,657 of 7,693
@Audeze are the S Korean orders being fulfilled anytime soon?

Note that I haven't been home for 2 weeks so it might have already arrived.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #6,658 of 7,693
Still nothing. I suspect I'm one of the 35 people who had a bad address, as they asked me for my phone number a couple months ago. I don't understand why they're having the 35 bad addresses wait for the units to be sent from China why can't they just send us retail units?

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #6,659 of 7,693
@Audeze are the S Korean orders being fulfilled anytime soon?

Note that I haven't been home for 2 weeks so it might have already arrived.
Yes. S. Korean certifications were completed today. Waiting for the official certificate to come before starting shipments. We will probably ship them next week

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #6,660 of 7,693
is it possible to engage high rez in bluetooth mode

on another note, i see why an eq app to store settings would be amazing, wish Audeze will do that

so far i am not feeling the planar bass punch at all that i am used to in other lcd headphones, also I feel it is a bit too clinical sounding and cold or a bit shouty, so this is not at all like the audeze house sound I am used to, I tried all different settings in bluetooth and on pc and could not get the audeze house sound I am used to at all. For music it is not at all to my liking, so def its more for gaming and movies but not for music lovers that look for that audeze house sound , if you never heard a an audeze headphone before than maybe you will like the sound quality, but for people who come in with high expectations due to owning an audeze headphone, they will be disappointed. I tired it bluetooth, usb dac and analog and nothing to my ears sounds great, My previous B&W P7 W sounds way way better than mobius. I can not believe this is even a planar sound, where is the planar bass that we are used to, and why all this shoutiness, the sound is just a mess fior music enjoyment. All the dsp effects just make music even sound worse, so its better to turn them off and go by flat and no 3d

sorry this is the second item from audeze I feel disappointed by, the first was isine 20 as it sounds not to my expectation at all without the cypher cable, and now this mobius is the second item that I feel let down

Thanks god I have other audeze cans, even my cheapest sine headphone sounds way way way better than mobius at least its true to audeze house sound. Seeing all youtube reviews and the big hype, man this is a let down for music listening if you are coming from other audeze headphones. Do not take my experience in consideration only if you owned a high end audeze headphone. If you never owned a high end audeze headphone than we are on a total different page and you might like mobius for music

If I were audeze I would not even go to say that this is a great headphone for music and just market it for gaming and movies

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back