• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 8, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #4,501 of 7,693
To be more succinct, I wonder if the ldac codec is included in androidx86(oreo8.1) and if my pc's(acer switch alpha 12) built in bluetooth chip can utilize it. I'm visiting my fam at the moment and connected my mums acer w700(circa 2012 bt)to my earstudio and it recieves aptx from windows 10. Good to know old bt hardware is somewhat software upgradeable through the os. Perhaps it was in conjuncion with a later bt driver update?
Wouldn't one still need an bluetooth transmitter with LDAC plugged into the PC?

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #4,502 of 7,693
Thanks for your answer, but i still dont get it i guess...
If i Feed 7.1 native to the Mobius from a BluRay or game, what will be the difference between 3D on or off?
To fool my brain into believing there are 7 speakers around me i need HRTF simulation, so what use case would be 7.1 audio without 3D on? :triportsad:
None. Like I said, it will just pipe everything into stereo when you turn 3D off. Instead of Windows converting the 7.1 dsignal for stereo so your headphone/speakers can hear it, that will be done on the Mobius side. It's just further down the chain for the same effect. ONLY when you turn 3D on, will that basic conversion not happen and instead it will use a surround dsp to emulate virtual surround with the Mobius, alongside it's HTRF function.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #4,503 of 7,693
Thanks for your answer, but i still dont get it i guess...
If i Feed 7.1 native to the Mobius from a BluRay or game, what will be the difference between 3D on or off?
To fool my brain into believing there are 7 speakers around me i need HRTF simulation, so what use case would be 7.1 audio without 3D on? :triportsad:

HirschiAUT: Let me see if I can explain it a different way. A headphone only has 2 drivers(speakers) in it... Whenever we talk about 5.1/7.1 surround for the headphone that is always done by Digital Surround Processing (DSP). This is done with a processor chip that tries to recreate a surround effect out of the two drivers with altering frequency response, reverb, echos... and a bunch of other sound engineer jargon. Many companies have their own, patented, way of processing sound to recreate heaphone surround sound. The Mobius uses Wave NX software to do this. You can take a 2.0 sound signal and process that signal to make it sound like speakers or, even emulate a surround sound effect. However, when you send a 5.1/7.1 signal to the DSP chip (inside the Mobius) it has more information (encoded) about where sounds are coming from, and the Mobius chip can take advantage of the extra information and give a more convincing surround sound effect. The 5.1/7.1 signal is just an encoded message for a chip (sound card/mobius) can decode that signal. So the Mobius will not decode the 5.1/7.1 signal unless it comes in through the USC-C and the 3D emulation is turned on. When the 3d emulation is turned on, you are telling it to decode the 5.1/7.1 signal with the chip and nx wave software inside the mobius.

It can be confusing to understand, and even more difficult to explain over the internet... but I hope this helps you understand it better.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #4,504 of 7,693
This is correct.

@KMann, with regards to how the Mobius handles headtracking, would it be possible to send the raw headtracking data back to the PC to be interpreted as a device input?

Think of the Mobius providing similar functionality to a device like the 'TrackIR'.

The the 3D sound processing could be handled by the PC or video game, but the bigger benefit is allowing for visual headtracking on-screen too, which I would imagine would pair the music positioning to the visual position even more accurately, being handled by the same program.
To add functionality like being able to look about the cockpit of your spaceship or helicopter when landing.

I feel this may be possible, as the Windows application has a real-time visual representation of how the Mobius is orientated, so perhaps that data feed can be repurposed?

Thank KMann!

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #4,505 of 7,693
The 5.1/7.1 signal is just an encoded message for a chip (sound card/mobius) can decode that signal. So the Mobius will not decode the 5.1/7.1 signal unless it comes in through the USC-C and the 3D emulation is turned on. .

So 7.1 doesn't work in bluetooth mode? You specifically just said USB type C is required. I am so confused now... A) because you seem you know what your talking about B) I find it hard to believe they would release this product where 7.1 didn't work over bluetooth.

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #4,506 of 7,693
@KMann, with regards to how the Mobius handles headtracking, would it be possible to send the raw headtracking data back to the PC to be interpreted as a device input?

Think of the Mobius providing similar functionality to a device like the 'TrackIR'.

The the 3D sound processing could be handled by the PC or video game, but the bigger benefit is allowing for visual headtracking on-screen too, which I would imagine would pair the music positioning to the visual position even more accurately, being handled by the same program.
To add functionality like being able to look about the cockpit of your spaceship or helicopter when landing.

I feel this may be possible, as the Windows application has a real-time visual representation of how the Mobius is orientated, so perhaps that data feed can be repurposed?

Thank KMann!
This is certainly possible. The Waves Nx and B360 plugins work this way to decode and playback Ambisonics content.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 8, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #4,507 of 7,693
So 7.1 doesn't work in bluetooth mode? You specifically just said USB type C is required. I am so confused now... A) because you seem you know what your talking about B) I find it hard to believe they would release this product where 7.1 didn't work over bluetooth.

Bluetooth is incapable of carrying 7.1 audio. This limitation is independent of Mobius. Stereo only.

Aug 8, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #4,508 of 7,693
That is correct. It will process a 2.0 signal from the bluetooth source and the Mobius will process that signal to make it sound like speakers in a room. However, I believe it was Mad Lust Envy that said, he was very surprised how well the 2.0 3D room emulation sounded and gave him a convincing 360 degree experience. Again... The Mobius will do its best to give you that 3D feeling experience with the 2.0 signal.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #4,510 of 7,693
So even though the headphone can be in a 7.1 surround sound mode with 3d turned off it'll just turn into basic stereo? Can I get confirmation from audeze about this? Not being able to have virtual surround sound without head tracking is not appealing because I won't want head tracking most of the time due to my gaming setup.

Edit: why make it so you can turn the head tracking off and be in 7.1 mode even though it won't do virtualized 7.1? The FAQ says this is possible.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #4,511 of 7,693
So even though the headphone can be in a 7.1 surround sound mode with 3d turned off it'll just turn into basic stereo? Can I get confirmation from audeze about this? Not being able to have virtual surround sound without head tracking is not appealing because I won't want head tracking most of the time due to my gaming setup.

Edit: why make it so you can turn the head tracking off and be in 7.1 mode even though it won't do virtualized 7.1? The FAQ says this is possible.

After reading this my brain hurts. I sort of want to die inside. LOL omg this is the most confusing headphone in the world.

Can someone who isn't shy just make a Youtube video and explain explain every single feature of the Mobius step by step? (preferably a rep from Audeze direct, I think a lot of people in this world learn better from video than reading, myself included, I know it for a fact since taking several tests at university in 2007, there are 3 ways of learning and everyone has different strengths)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #4,512 of 7,693

I've tested this out. 3d just enables headtracking. 7.1 still works like normal without 3d. I like 3d off at all times unless playing 3d games.

Aug 9, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #4,514 of 7,693
After reading this my brain hurts. I sort of want to die inside. LOL omg this is the most confusing headphone in the world.

Can someone who isn't shy just make a Youtube video and explain explain every single feature of the Mobius step by step? (preferably a rep from Audeze direct, I think a lot of people in this world learn better from video than reading, myself included, I know it for a fact since taking several tests at university in 2007, there are 3 ways of learning and everyone has different strengths)

Interestingly enough I am a tutor and always preach about the different ways of learning. I need to see and touch things.

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #4,515 of 7,693
That is correct. It will process a 2.0 signal from the bluetooth source and the Mobius will process that signal to make it sound like speakers in a room. However, I believe it was Mad Lust Envy that said, he was very surprised how well the 2.0 3D room emulation sounded and gave him a convincing 360 degree experience. Again... The Mobius will do its best to give you that 3D feeling experience with the 2.0 signal.

Not me. As good as it is, there is no way to get rear audio cues from two channel unless you have very specific encoding like Dolby Pro Logic II. Remember, this Mobius 3D (when decoding just 2 channels) is emulation of a room with two speakers in front of you. Since when have two speakers in front of you given you really good rear audio cues? Think about it. Unless those speakers themselves have some weird processing applied, you ain't getting rear cues that sound like they're behind you. At best, they'll sound different from front cues, but in the virtual space, they'll still be coming from those speakers.

Whomever said it does give good rear cues, well, I'm sorry, but no. There ARE things like Dolby Pro Logic II that can give decoders a very good surround effect from two channels, but in general, UNLESS you have specialized encoding like Pro Logic II and your device can decode that into surround, you're only gonna get plain stereo.

And come on. When you turn 3D off in 7.1, you get the SAME sound as stereo. There is no SURROUND EFFECT, NOTHING. INSTEAD OF WINDOWS CONVERTING AUDIO TO 2 CHANNEL FOR YOUR HEADPHONES TO LISTEN, IT WILL SEND A 7.1 SIGNAL, BUT IT WILL BE THE MOBIUS INSTEAD THAT WILL CONVERT THAT TO TWO CHANNEL. IT IS THE SAME THING, JUST DONE AT A DIFFERENT TIME in the audio chain before it reaches the transducers.

I can't caps lock this enough.

If ANYONE HERE has ever used a gaming dac/amp, like say the Creative X7. It takes a 7.1 signal. IF SBX SURROUND IS OFF, you get regular stereo, as the X7 will just convert that 7.1 to stereo without the surround processing. If you set windows to just 2 channel, your X7 doesn't have to do it. It's already been done. It's really that simple.

No matter how you slice it, all signals JUST eventually become two channels, even if it was 20 speakers being converted for a headphone to hear. Where you have processing being done to virtualize the speakers with two channels is the question. So if you turn 3D off, YOU NO LONGER GET THAT VIRTUALIZATION.

This is why when you watch movies and whatnot that obviously do 5.1 or 7.1 on tv speakers, you can still hear everything. All that information has been converted down to two channel for your TV to output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back