• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 8, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #4,456 of 7,693
Dangit. I paid for Atmos headphone a few weeks ago. I bet the hive mind will come up with a solution for console gaming.
If the consoles themselves would adapt. Or if there was a universal wifi codec for wireless 5.1/7.1 channels that everyone would adopt (without hrtf converting to 2 channel headphone). Those options would be ideal to incorporate everything in the home for surround speakers and future Mobius's.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #4,457 of 7,693
What are PS4 gamers experiencing in regards to setting your game to output in surround vs stereo? Whether hooking the Mobius up via USB or going AUX via the controller, I'm assuming the PS4 is automatically downmixing the audio to 2.0, right? If so, is there any reason to select 2.0/stereo within the game's settings? Is it possible doing so would actually work against the 3D effect on the Mobius?

Personally, I've had mixed results; sometimes I notice a difference, other times I don't, so I'm not sure if it's just my imagination or there really is a difference. Looking forward to other people's insight. :slight_smile:

Aug 8, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #4,458 of 7,693
Yea. Anything that does its own virtual surround sound is processing 5.1 content and outputting two channels. So if you run those 2 channels to the mobius it's essentially like 2 speakers playing the processed content. Meaning the headtracking is essentially useless and the competing HRTFs and crossfeed are going to generally screw up positioning across the board.

I'd either play 2 channel direct from your console +3D mode on the mobius OR output Dolby Atmos, SBX, whatever into your mobius with headtracking/3D off. You cannot cheat out proper 5.1 virtualization with headtracking on consoles.

Basically it's best to think of the Mobius with 3D on as a speaker system. If you fed Dolby Atmos Headphone or SBX headphone virtualization out to a speaker system, they would not work as intended.

Ok but why not use Dolby Atmos in conjunction with just head tracking. Wouldn’t it make it more realistic?

Aug 8, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #4,459 of 7,693
Quick update that no one asked for: I was able to get Bluetooth up and running on my iPhone last night. My first pair of wireless headphones and, man, it is a real joy not to be on a tether. I think yesterday's difficulties were in trying to test both laptop and iPhone alternatively.

My two-sentence review: this headphone is packing a stupid amount of value into $399. For the first tier price I paid as part of the Indiegogo campaign, I am downright grateful.

Last thing for now. The first time I put them on and was playing with the settings, I thought my laptop speakers were playing, not my headphones, because the localization had anchored the sound to my screen. Really spooky. These feel like the future.

Aug 8, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #4,460 of 7,693
Ok but why not use Dolby Atmos in conjunction with just head tracking. Wouldn’t it make it more realistic?
From what I'm seeing, it isn't possible to separate Virtual surround from head tracking. Yet(hopefully). I don't recall reading any posts from Audeze saying it wasn't possible, but I could be wrong.

Aug 8, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #4,462 of 7,693

No. Dolby atmos for headphone is processing the sound expecting a stabilized(not tracked/moving) head wearing a pair of headphones that output direct 2 channel. It creates the sound approximating speakers with the listener in that position.

When you then feed that to the mobius, the mobius is putting it's own additional processing over the Dolby processing. And each method is targeting a different usage. The mobius is constantly adjusting the sound depending on the way your head is moving and Dolby atmos for headphones is processing it for a stable head. So when you add these together the results are, well I personally think they're terrible.

Here's a quick way to put it. Dolby Atmos for Headphones is made for static 2 channel headphones. The environment the mobius creates for consoles is essentially 2 speakers placed in front of you. Do you think Dolby Atmos would sound good on 2 speakers in front of you? If so then you may like it through the mobius

Aug 8, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #4,464 of 7,693
No. Dolby atmos for headphone is processing the sound expecting a stabilized(not tracked/moving) head wearing a pair of headphones that output direct 2 channel. It creates the sound approximating speakers with the listener in that position.

When you then feed that to the mobius, the mobius is putting it's own additional processing over the Dolby processing. And each method is targeting a different usage. The mobius is constantly adjusting the sound depending on the way your head is moving and Dolby atmos for headphones is processing it for a stable head. So when you add these together the results are, well I personally think they're terrible.

Here's a quick way to put it. Dolby Atmos for Headphones is made for static 2 channel headphones. The environment the mobius creates for consoles is essentially 2 speakers placed in front of you. Do you think Dolby Atmos would sound good on 2 speakers in front of you? If so then you may like it through the mobius

That really makes no sense. Not sure why they couldn't implement head tracking without the additional DSP.

I wanted to use the Mobius for PC gaming. I figured I could use Dolby Atmos for Headphones or Windows Sonic to process the audio and send the stream to the Mobius for the head tracking.

I was following this release since day one and have been hyped. I'm not worried about the hiss issue since they are taking care of the issue. But now I'm not sure of making the purchase.

Aug 8, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #4,465 of 7,693
As said before, you can't have just head tracking without dsp. Dolby atmos and windows sonic can't take raw head tracking as an input so they can't do anything with it. I'm sorry you had the wrong expectations.

Aug 8, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #4,466 of 7,693
That really makes no sense. Not sure why they couldn't implement head tracking without the additional DSP.

I wanted to use the Mobius for PC gaming. I figured I could use Dolby Atmos for Headphones or Windows Sonic to process the audio and send the stream to the Mobius for the head tracking.

I was following this release since day one and have been hyped. I'm not worried about the hiss issue since they are taking care of the issue. But now I'm not sure of making the purchase.

If you’re using Windows then just use the USB output for true 5.1/7.1...

Aug 8, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #4,468 of 7,693

This is the big problem I knew Mobius was going to have for consoles from announcement. I never actually expected to do console gaming with Mobius 3d features turned on, It just doesn’t give you many advantages because it’s basically just the equivalent of gaming with two floor standing speakers in front of you. There are people that are getting this confused with surround sound in some of the reviews that have been done just because the reverberation setting was so high that the sound was bouncing off of the walls in the virtual environment so it sounded like sound was coming from all around them, when in reality its only emanating from two points in front of you.

You are one of the first I have seen who has Mobius to actually confirm and go into detail about your experience with this. Unfortunately, I think there are going to be a lot of console gamers that never truly understood this and are going to be a little disappointed when they finally realize that for console gaming it’s still going to be best to have Mobius 3d turned off and use just Dolby Atmos Headphones on Xbox One for example. From the beginning these are really headphones designed for computer gaming; However, they are still awesome planar headphones for console gaming, your still getting many advantages just because of that.

Hopefully, if Mobius turns out to be very successful, they might come out with a console version in the future that fully supports surround sound. It was just too risky and expensive for them to do it now due to all the licensing and royalty fees they would have had to pay Sony and Microsoft.

Aug 8, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #4,469 of 7,693
I use Windows 10. I use the supplied USBC cable.

when listening to music, I use Foobar2000. I have use 2channel or HiRez. I have 3d off.

When I watch movies I have 7.1 channel on. Sometimes I turn on 3d but not really needed unless you like to try turning your head around.

Windows 10 has "headphone virtualization" check box in it's sound device settings, along with "bass boost" and "loudness equalization". If you set the Mobius to 2channel Windows will allow you to enable spacial virtualization, like Dolby Atmos (pay), or it's free Windows version.

I rarely use Bluetooth except for music on smartphone. There is always a lag when playing games or watching movies.

I do not have and 3d games to try out, nor any game console. But on consoles, I assume it's all virtualization anyways (fake surround). Either you allow the console to do the surround effects and just use 2channel on the Mobius. Or the console feeds whatever audio and you use combination of 3d and/or 7.1. Gotta experiment.

So far it sounds amazing. There is more hissing when using 3d or 7.1

Aug 8, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #4,470 of 7,693
One little detail I'd gladly hear some input on that isn't much discussed yet, soundstage wise, is this a more "forward" (but intimate/front-row) or "laid-back" (distant/back-row) sounding headphone? The description I've had so far leads to believe it's more the former than the latter, neither obviously better than the other and it comes down to taste, I just personally tend to prefer a more "in-your-face" presentation even if it comes at a cost of soundstage expansiveness as I tend to connect better with the music (get more engaged as in foot-tapping, head-nodding tend to more easily occur which is a good sign that I'm enjoying what I'm hearing) when it sounds like the vocals/instruments are coming closer to me. (or like the hipsters would say, it sounds more "phat")

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back