• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 6, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #4,293 of 7,693
Are you saying...no headtracking wouldn't be optimal...or no headtracking doesn't fix the audio in place?

I'm saying the rear channels are in the rear while using head tracking. Side channels at the side etc.

You probably won't be the only one to want that. If I ever were to try, I'd probably wait until people found something really comfy that fits and sounds right..

I might try to put my remaining sheepskin brainwavz on there.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #4,295 of 7,693
Mine are set to arrive today, as well. Are you going to open these, or just wait and send them back for exchange?

I called Audeze and asked whether I should leave the parcel sealed as my intent is to exchange them for a fixed set once they become available, and the gentleman I spoke with said that I'm free to open and and experiment with the headphones as is, and they will reach out to affected buyers who received pre-fix units once they have units to exchange.

So basically use them until exchange units are available.

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #4,297 of 7,693
Hey, whaddayaknow... some dude in a red and yellow outfit driving a red and yellow van just brought me a little box. Looks like it's from Hong Kong... I wonder what's in it. :wink:

Wohoo! Send us pics! Can't wait to hear how you like it!

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #4,300 of 7,693
Some one earlier started the headtracking and dsp of the Mobius was more effective at location rear sound cues than surround dsps without headtracking.

(This is my opinion, so please take it as just)

As much as I love the Mobius (as I'm sure most of you know), I still wouldn't say it's better than Sennheiser's GSX, Creative's SBX, and Dolby Headphone at locating rear sounds. Even stationary, those are better at putting out an obvious rear audio cue behind you. The Mobius is still really good at that, but it ain't the best at that. If I had to choose, I'd say that Dolby Headphone does that best, but it's the worst sounding of the bunch, fidelity-wise. In any case, YMMV.

Also, Dolby Atmos Headphone =/= Dolby Headphone. DH is older tech that sounds different.

That being said, my experience with Dolby Atmos Headphone has been limited so I can't say where I'd put it on my rankings. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Overall, I think SBX surround has the best balance. Even at 100% room size, it has less reverb than the others. GSX is more or less on par, with far more reverb at larger room settings. The Mobius surround is still a great alternative, but with the benefit of head tracking that the others lack so to some, it may be more ideal.

Interesting. I'll have to try some more direct comparisons as I didn't have a perfect setup when I tested(Mobius vs Nighthawk with X7LE). I used to find the SBX to be the best, outperforming the next best GSX by quite a bit. The difference in SBX vs Mobius to me is that for SBX I need a visual cue for me to place something behind me else it mostly sounds in line with my body. For instance, a horse wslking behind me in Witcher 3 on my left, I cannot actually tell when it gets behind me if I have my eyes closed. Whereas with the mobius with my eyes closed the slight headtracking lets me instantly place the horse where it is in relation to me. I do like the SBX balance better though. I'm finding I need to up the mobius ambiance setting to 50 or 55 to really get a seamless blend to the sound but reverb is getting a bit high there. SBX even maxed is maybe like 25 to 35 on the mobius but sounds more cohesive.

I know this is farthest from scientific, it's purely my experience. The mobius is an improvement to the X7 for me but as you said, each has strengths and weaknesses. This opinion is not to counter yours, I'm just sharing my experience with some of the same gear you've used.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #4,301 of 7,693
9A9D7B8A-D8DA-46EF-BBC1-BD82A28A7B49.jpeg

Mobius has landed.

(More to come.)

Aug 6, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #4,305 of 7,693
Interesting. I'll have to try some more direct comparisons as I didn't have a perfect setup when I tested(Mobius vs Nighthawk with X7LE). I used to find the SBX to be the best, outperforming the next best GSX by quite a bit. The difference in SBX vs Mobius to me is that for SBX I need a visual cue for me to place something behind me else it mostly sounds in line with my body. For instance, a horse wslking behind me in Witcher 3 on my left, I cannot actually tell when it gets behind me if I have my eyes closed. Whereas with the mobius with my eyes closed the slight headtracking lets me instantly place the horse where it is in relation to me. I do like the SBX balance better though. I'm finding I need to up the mobius ambiance setting to 50 or 55 to really get a seamless blend to the sound but reverb is getting a bit high there. SBX even maxed is maybe like 25 to 35 on the mobius but sounds more cohesive.

I know this is farthest from scientific, it's purely my experience. The mobius is an improvement to the X7 for me but as you said, each has strengths and weaknesses. This opinion is not to counter yours, I'm just sharing my experience with some of the same gear you've used.
For sure, DSPs sound different to different people. I have good friends here that I can agree with on many things, but we have very different conclusions on specific surround dsps. Some DSPs I hate like CMSS-3D and Razer Surround, while a friend might think those are the better ones. It's really interesting how they sound to different people. There's a lot more in terms of variation there, whereas we can agree on tonalities and whatnot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back