Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jun 21, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #1,981 of 7,693
Jun 21, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #1,982 of 7,693
I mean technically there could be more of a delay, and I guess I was wrong saying lag would be that. However, at the very least, it samples position 1000 times per second. Whether there is a delay transmitting that information to the computer and processing it, I dont know. I would image if it was noticeable though it would totally ruin the immersion, so I bet its not noticeable.

Again though, I just dont see how that has anything to do with the monitor refresh rate. I mean obviously the goal would be for all lag to be reduced to 0 or imperceptible levels. But monitor refresh and head tracking are totally separate since changing the view on the monitor doesnt affect the head tracking, and the head tracking doesnt change whats on screen.

There's going to be a little DSP processing lag, technically.... It's not going to be significant or noticible. At the very most probably in the low double digits of milliseconds.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,983 of 7,693
I mean technically there could be more of a delay, and I guess I was wrong saying lag would be that. However, at the very least, it samples position 1000 times per second. Whether there is a delay transmitting that information to the computer and processing it, I dont know. I would image if it was noticeable though it would totally ruin the immersion, so I bet its not noticeable.
Mobius is self contained and all processing is done on the headphone, so the head tracking information need not be sent to the computer. This was one of our primary requirements to avoid any form of lag for gaming applications. When we say the head tracking information is sampled 1000 times a second, that is exactly what you can expect and any lag introduced by processing is close to negligible. Waves Nx algorithms for head tracking and 3D emulation were designed to be of very low latency and the processing does not introduce any perceptible delay.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #1,984 of 7,693
Mobius is self contained and all processing is done on the headphone, so the head tracking information need not be sent to the computer. This was one of our primary requirements to avoid any form of lag for gaming applications. When we say the head tracking information is sampled 1000 times a second, that is exactly what you can expect and any lag introduced by processing is close to negligible. Waves Nx algorithms for head tracking and 3D emulation were designed to be of very low latency and the processing does not introduce any perceptible delay.

Sorry, wasnt trying to claim there would be. In fact, I imagined there wouldnt be any noticeable delay (otherwise the whole head tracking thing would I imagine be very very noticeable and awkward). Thanks for the info! I for one am still very much looking forward to receiving mine and comparing the spatialization to other techs I have used. Really looking forward to the head tracking as I imagine its going to make the biggest difference.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #1,985 of 7,693
the more master Yoda explained mobius, the more i am drooling on it.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,986 of 7,693

Will there be drift like with VR headsets that don't have outside tracking sensors? On those devices you have to re-center from time to time.

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,987 of 7,693
Will there be drift like with VR headsets that don't have outside tracking sensors? On those devices you have to re-center from time to time.

There will always be instances were recalibration is needed. Mobius is already pretty advanced on that front, taking your cellphone gyro information to correct for train movement for example.
Still, it won't be flawless in all situations. You certainly have to recenter from time to time.

Jun 22, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #1,988 of 7,693
@KMann @Audeze I asked a similar question awhile back but recieved no response. If I understand your previous post correctly, headtracking alone introduces only 1ms of delay(which is fantastic). The phrases "close to negligble", and "very low latency" are with respect to the rest of the dsp? Could you share how many milliseconds the audio delay in total, if any, would be using the aux(3.5mm) connection? I ask for specifics because analog music creation requires pretty tight timing. e.g. the delay between picking a note on electric guitar and hearing the initial attack of the note. I would like to use these for plugging straight into a guitar amp and other instruments headphone out, and use a motu audio interface as well. With the computers interface's latecy for multitracking, plus other vst's, it all tends to add up so a specific number(0ms?) for the headphones alone would be most helpful.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,989 of 7,693
@Everyone

Let the product get released before trying to dissect it.

80% of your questions will be answered once it's in the wild.

19% of your questions are stupid and shouldn't have been asked in the first place.

1% of your questions are valid, but have been drowned out by the other 99%

After a week of the product being released and your question hasn't been answered then you can ask yourself - "was the query valid, or am I stupid?"

Ask the question then and find out.

Jun 22, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #1,990 of 7,693
@KMann @Audeze I asked a similar question awhile back but recieved no response. You mention very low latency in your previous post. Could you share how many milliseconds the audio delay, if any, would be using the aux(3.5mm) connection? I ask for specifics because analog music creation requires pretty tight timing. e.g. the delay between picking a note on electric guitar and hearing the initial attack of the note. I would like to use these for plugging straight into a guitar amp and other instuments headphone out, and use a motu audio interface as well. With the computers interface's latecy for multitracking, plus other vst's, it all tends to add up so a specific number(0ms?) for the headphones alone would be most helpful.

Not sure this is the best headphone to use for live instrument studio monitoring. You need a line level out to properly drive this headset via 3.5mm analog, which is just less common in those monitoring situations. Whereas I would definitely use the Mobius for multi-channel mixing/mastering, but that would be a digital out anyways. This is mainly a consumer product with a side benefit of multi-channel producers.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #1,991 of 7,693
@raband
Well stated.

We are just days to a week away from it going live!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,992 of 7,693
Perhaps. The hphone out of whichever device I connect the aux to can be altered easily enough and most of my equipment has line outs. It's the latency numbers I am most curious about. They should give a strong indication if live instrument monitoring is applicable. I'm guessing gamers would find the data useful as well for whichever method they choose, should it be aux or usb. The mobius is now in production(specifications should now be finalised),soon to be shipped and for regular retail. Specs can only help others to make an informed decision before purchasing. With the indiegogo discount I decided the gamble was worth it. Regular head-fi reviews probably won't have that kind of data, but Audeze will :beerchug:

Not sure this is the best headphone to use for live instrument studio monitoring. You need a line level out to properly drive this headset via 3.5mm analog, which is just less common in those monitoring situations. Whereas I would definitely use the Mobius for multi-channel mixing/mastering, but that would be a digital out anyways. This is mainly a consumer product with a side benefit of multi-channel producers.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #1,993 of 7,693
@Everyone

Let the product get released before trying to dissect it.

80% of your questions will be answered once it's in the wild.

19% of your questions are stupid and shouldn't have been asked in the first place.

1% of your questions are valid, but have been drowned out by the other 99%

After a week of the product being released and your question hasn't been answered then you can ask yourself - "was the query valid, or am I stupid?"

Ask the question then and find out.

Oooooh watch it, this is a safe haven for the most sensitive of people. I've been reported multiple times already for saying basically the same thing.
(Hand to heaven in a bit over 15 years of online forums experience this is the most sensitive place I've ever been to, by a light year)

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,995 of 7,693
Come on Audeze. Send out those tracking numbers!!! Hopefully I'm in the first wave. I was the $250 tier.
Same here. I think it's lame that they met their goal early, yet they are still late on the shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back