• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Nov 19, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #7,608 of 7,693
how can i get simulated height speaker sound from music (cd, surround sound sacd, dvd-audio ...) and movies from my yamaha cx-a 5100 surround processor ? i play no games.
Only through a full Atmos speaker setup. The Dolby Surround Upmixer in the Yamaha can upmix everything to 7.1 + height.

Nov 19, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #7,610 of 7,693
One of the justifications to the price of the A16 is due to the fact that it perfectly emulates a Atmos setup with speakers that could cost upwards of $1 million... I can say that if you like to go to the IMAX to watch movies then the A16 can replicate that without any issues.. and more... it does multi speaker emulation but also you can use the downmix of the 24 speakers into a 2 channel output for music and its fantastic..

Nov 19, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #7,611 of 7,693
how can i get simulated height speaker sound from music (cd, surround sound sacd, dvd-audio ...) and movies from my yamaha cx-a 5100 surround processor ? i play no games.

Just want to check - are you talking about simulated height speaker sound from HEADPHONES or from speakers?

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #7,612 of 7,693
Just want to check - are you talking about simulated height speaker sound from HEADPHONES or from speakers?
Atmos Height Virtualization is coming to select Yamaha AVRs next year. The CX-A5100 isn't one of them.

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #7,614 of 7,693
One of the justifications to the price of the A16 is due to the fact that it perfectly emulates a Atmos setup with speakers that could cost upwards of $1 million... I can say that if you like to go to the IMAX to watch movies then the A16 can replicate that without any issues.. and more... it does multi speaker emulation but also you can use the downmix of the 24 speakers into a 2 channel output for music and its fantastic..
it costs 4000 dollar, that's far above my budget.

Nov 20, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #7,616 of 7,693
does atmos height virtualisation work with headphones too ?
No, Atmos over headphones is not possible on any existing AVR. The A16 Realiser is the only way.

For E-AC-3 + Atmos content, you can use Dolby Atmos for Headphones on Windows with the Movies & TV app. This is the only other way to watch Atmos content with height virtualization over headphones. It's not possible to watch TrueHD + Atmos content this way.

Dec 1, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #7,618 of 7,693
i find it very discriminating that computer gamers can listen to 5.1 and 7.1 and we music lovers and homecinema lovers not. very unfair.
We could (Mobius), but there's almost no content:triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:
My 5.1 speaker setup has fallen to sleep years ago.

Some classical productions with a faint amount of reverb at the back, some experimental 5.1 pop mixes where my my colleagues (I'm audio engineer) don't put anything relevant on the back speakers, because they fear most people won't hear it - that's it.

Not worth the effort!

No they come with 7.1, 11.2 or whatsoever system offers - for what?

If you don't watch movies, forget it!

BTW: if you do watch movies on a normal TV set, not on a PC: forget even Mobius because you don't get 7.1 on this headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #7,620 of 7,693
i have lots of multichannel sacd's, dvd-audio's, even some dolby atmos blu-ray audio discs and of course dvd's, blu-ray discs and 4k discs.
so, i think there is multichannel content enough.
I have something between 100-200, music, but compared to my other collection it's not really much.
Tidal, my main source for music today, doesn't offer surround in a way that it's usable with Mobius.

Unfortunately the Surround handling is disappointing almost throughout music productions.
There's simply not much happening in the back.

Finally you have to like the music too to enjoy it, too.

Exceptions like "Rabih Abou Kalil - The Cactus Of Love", where the listener is placed in the center of the musicians, are rare.

It's different with movies, the sound follows the drama, all around you.
But I'm not too much into movies with headphones, from that aspect, and cannot integrate Mobius into my home cinema system anyway:

Home cinema is HDMI or at least SPDIF/TOSLINK (for DD5.1), and there is no interlink to USB available if you don't stream from a PC.
Same applies for DVD, SACD, Blu-Ray and the like.

That's the Achilles' heel of Mobius.

It's a bit sad, as I like Mobius and it's 3D effect, even on stereo sources.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back