• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #556 of 7,693
I think everyone will agree on that there is more to a headphone than just tonality, so we want to set the right expectations. Mobius is active only and the DSP presets were used to tune it close to a neutral response, but it also retain some of it's own character by virtue of being closed back. It is hard to directly compare LCD-2 (or LCD-3/X) with Mobius for couple of reasons. One being Mobius is closed back vs LCD-2/X being open. Another being unlike LCD-2/X you will not be driving Mobius with your own DACs and Amps. Amps and DACs add their own technical and tonal qualities. Since we use the same driver technology in Mobius as our LCD series you can expect similar technical qualities such as transparancy, linear response and low distortion. We tuned our transducer and the DSP presets on Mobius so that they have the right synergy with the on board Amp and DAC and sound neutral as a whole package.

With the above caveats, Mobius would be great for music listening. From a head-fier perspective, if you are in the market for a pair of active/self-contained closed-back headphone, that can also double as a wireless headset, and has neutral tonal signature and retains the technical qualities of LCD series, yes Mobius will fit that bill.

I want it so much. I'm basically hype AF right now and can't wait to get my hands on it and it in my noggin.

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #557 of 7,693
I want it so much. I'm basically hype AF right now and can't wait to get my hands on it and it in my noggin.

Right? This headphone basically sounds like a dream come true. LCD quality sound, wireless option, cool surround sound, advanced tech, a headset. A perfectly paired internal amp/dac setup.

It sounds like everything you ever need in a headphone and then some. lol

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #558 of 7,693
Right? This headphone basically sounds like a dream come true. LCD quality sound, wireless option, cool surround sound, advanced tech, a headset. A perfectly paired internal amp/dac setup.

It sounds like everything you ever need in a headphone and then some. lol
I just realized that these are going to be so great for me Switch, too. Man, I'm excited.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #559 of 7,693
This really makes the Mobius sound like a dream portable setup....

Dream* setup. I expect modern, forward-thinking headphones to be active with a DAC/amplifier tailor-made for the headphones to sound as good as they possibly can — wired and wirelessly. Audeze has created the next great headphone to fit that mold and truly a turning point in the industry.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #562 of 7,693
Thank you kindly MLE for the info. If the bluetooth was tested on a pc I am guessing it was probably sbc.

As for what Bluetooth codecs it used in my testing, I 100% could not tell you. I know next to nothing in this field and how it works.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #563 of 7,693
Guys, stop overhyping the Mobius. Audeze just tried to dampen your over exaggerated opinions of these.

The fact that these have an onboard DAC that cannot be bypassed is reason enough that they won't punch as much weight as their far more expensive gear.
They will most likely be best in class whrn it comes to gaming headsets.
But for everything else You should wait and see.
No wonder the more senior members are holding back on this thread.

Team Copper

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #564 of 7,693
Wait, you mean I'm NOT getting LCD-4 for $199???!!!!!

*cancels order*

j/k

Yeah, the expectations need to remain in check until there is a more representative group of unbiased 3rd-party reviews of the FINAL production product.

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #565 of 7,693
@Saljon At times, Head-Fi can be a bit crazy with the hype. I think the Mobius has quite a bit of promise, but people are already saying this is the best bluetooth headphone out there without ever having tried it, and people will also have some pretty crazy expectations with the comparison to LCD2/X. I imagine for the cost it'll be a lovely headphone, and should be quite versatile, but it's amazing how many people have already either crazy-hyped this thing or utterly passed judgement on Audeze for what is essentially a proof of concept device. Pretty much what I expected for the first week of sales.

For me, being able to use it as a solid gaming headset as well as a good bluetooth option just seems pretty awesome. I just hope the comfort is reasonable.

As far as Jude's opinion, my take on his reviews have always been that yes he says a lot of good things, but I'm pretty sure he mainly only speaks up about headphones that are worth it. He seems to aim to not waste other people's time with headphones that don't seem up to par.

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #566 of 7,693
My question on Indiegogo „Hi, maybe I missed it. How is the “Anatomy calibration” done?“ was answered:

Audeze Team CopperKampagnenstartervor
Some anatomy calibration is pre-programmed into the 3D audio: we used an average of measurements based on actual heads, shoulders, knees and toes (and yes, we returned them to their owners when we were finished) to create accurately programmed HRTF response. We also have head size adjustments as part of the Windows app (and if you ask nicely, maybe we'll add toe size adjustments later). :wink:
Karthick ManivannanKampagnenstartervor
Adding to #TeamCoppers response, Mobius is pre-calibrated for an average person. However through an application the user will be able to enter their head geometry information. This information will be used to personalize the inter-aural time delay and also the HRTF model to your head. We use the term 'anatomy calibration' to describe this process.
Thanks @KMann

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #568 of 7,693
Honestly my biggest concern is whether they can hit that June deadline. Indiegogo/Kickstarter is rampant with projects where they have a date and then it gets continuously pushed further and further. Kind of like how most times massdrop would quote a month it would ship (for example Feb) and then it gets pushed to March then June then finally September.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #569 of 7,693
Honestly my biggest concern is whether they can hit that June deadline. Indiegogo/Kickstarter is rampant with projects where they have a date and then it gets continuously pushed further and further. Kind of like how most times massdrop would quote a month it would ship (for example Feb) and then it gets pushed to March then June then finally September.
In my view this project is quite a bit different. First, there is a working prototype out in testers hands. Second, Audeze is an established company that has released many mainstream and TOTL headphones en mass which means they have the manufacturing down pat. This is a lot different than what you usually get on Indiegogo.... No working prototype, just an idea and a new startup that has no idea what they are getting into and don't have a distribution network or have never manufactured what they are selling.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #570 of 7,693
In my view this project is quite a bit different. First, there is a working prototype out in testers hands. Second, Audeze is an established company that has released many mainstream and TOTL headphones en mass which means they have the manufacturing down pat. This is a lot different than what you usually get on Indiegogo.... No working prototype, just an idea and a new startup that has no idea what they are getting into and don't have a distribution network or have never manufactured what they are selling.

Im truly hoping thats the case. I tell myself that Audeze is a reputable company (and they are) and they've been doing this song and dance for a while but at the same time this is a brand new product and the time frame they gave is only three months away. Delays happen but I hope it doesn't occur on this project. I'm super stoked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back