• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 14, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #4,891 of 7,693
I planned to have this replace my arctis 7 on my PC. in that case, what type of usb bluetooth receiver would you recommend that I buy to use on my pc to connect to the mobius?
There are no good options, unfortunately. There are some Sony receivers and sound bars that can transmit LDAC which in principle you could connect your PC to via optical, but that's not a great solution for most people. Anything else uses AptX or SBC, and since Mobius doesn't support AptX, you're stuck with high latency SBC.

It's best not to think of Mobius as a wireless gaming headset, but as a wired gaming headset or a wireless headphone for portable use.

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #4,892 of 7,693
Hi guys, I did this review. So probably not a smart move coming here, but I do come in peace, and hopefully this can be a positive discussion. I'll be on my computer for the night as I'm working on another thing at the moment, so definitely feel free to ask any questions on the headphones or review.

First off I am a normal guy who just wanted to begin reviewing tech this year as a sort of a resolution. It is purely a hobby for me. I do not care about the numbers nor do I have any agenda when i review something. I buy and review things that I find interesting or am excited about. Mobius was one of those things, so I backed it early. I spent 12 days with it while I was testing it and used it nonstop (while I was home) in a variety of ways. I heard the hissing from day 1 and also received the emails from Audeze about the issue. I posted the review mainly to inform consumers who may be interested in this headphone but may not actually be subscribed to audeze and unaware of the issue. As far as I am concerned Audeze hasn't publicly announced there was an issue, just to their backers and website subscribers, so I figured I could be a source of information until the issue was resolved.

Failing to mention the recall in the video was unintentional and a mistake on my part and I will take the video down tomorrow (august 15th) and re-review the headphone once Audeze repairs the one I received. I will leave it up for the time-being just as a source for questions (from you guys) if desired.

Overall the headphones are great and they are well worth $400. The fact that you can get a top-teir gaming headphone and an entry-level audiophile headphone in one package is really special, but I do think the hiss is not something to gloss over. Yes, it is apparently fixed (according to one of your members who has the revised cans) but if it truly isn't fixed, then it is a problem worth mentioning.

Please feel free to ask any questions and hopefully this can be a positive discussion.

And one last thing: If the 90 second "flaw" bit near the end was removed and you isolated everything else, was the review informative for a general consumer? Thanks.

A review with your opinion is your prerogative, but i think the disappointment with your video were due to reasons you are already aware of.

Takes a man to admit his faults, good on you. That being said, I see no reason why you wouldn't pull the video now so as to not misguide potential buyers. :)

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #4,893 of 7,693
Transmitter not receiver. You only NEED one if your pc doesn't have Bluetooth capabilities. I use a transmitter because that's how I send surround dsp from my dac/amps to the Mobius. Or would've if there wasn't a massive delay.

Right now, I don't see one with codecs the Mobius reads. Probably one that has AAC. I'd probably hold off until Audeze states with finality that there's nothing they can do with codecs.
Yup, my desktop doesn't have bluetooth capabilities.

Hmm, can it transmit bluetooth audio and receive bluetooth audio input from the mic?

There are no good options, unfortunately. There are some Sony receivers and sound bars that can transmit LDAC which in principle you could connect your PC to via optical, but that's not a great solution for most people. Anything else uses AptX or SBC, and since Mobius doesn't support AptX, you're stuck with high latency SBC.

It's best not to think of Mobius as a wireless gaming headset, but as a wired gaming headset or a wireless headphone for portable use.
hmm, I was hoping to use it as wireless gaming headset when I feel too lazy to plug it in... but perhaps the bells and whistles of plugging it in is worthwhile enough for me to ditch the wireless feature of a gaming headset.

how does the latency of LDAC compare with SBC since low latency AptX is out of the picture

Aug 14, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #4,894 of 7,693
Ouch.

Faint praise indeed from the man who'd been pushing the Mobius as their end game, 2nd coming pair of headphones.

All good here - what you mention is exactly what I've been expecting all along, so am sure they'll live up to my expectations when they arrive.

They are comparable to the sound quality of other closed-back Audeze headphones, just as advertised and expected. I think we seem to forget that it is technically a gaming headset and doesn’t have the premium feel of a headphone like the EL-8. However it does provide a similar level of sound quality. I just want to make sure that detail isn’t lost in the expectations.

Would I have paid $100 more for a premium wireless-first design? Yes. Would I have paid $999 for a wireless headphone that will eventually be obsoleted? No. There’s a line to draw there and Mobius is Audeze without the ultra high-end luxurious feel at a more entry-level price point that matches. That Audeze bundled Bluetooth into a headphone that had to be active anyway was a smart decision and streamlined their product lineup. Mobius is multiple products in one packaged into a gaming headset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #4,895 of 7,693
Hmm, can it transmit bluetooth audio and receive bluetooth audio input from the mic?
The short answer is no.

The long answer is "yes, but you wouldn't want to."

Bluetooth supports either one-way, two-channel audio, or two-way, single-channel audio (the latter intended for making phone calls). Standard Bluetooth currently offers no way to hear both stereo audio through the headphone, and simultaneously transmit voice back to the receiver.

how does the latency of LDAC compare with SBC since low latency AptX is out of the picture
I haven't seen any hard numbers on LDAC latency, actually, so I couldn't tell you.

Aug 14, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #4,896 of 7,693
Yup, my desktop doesn't have bluetooth capabilities.

hmm, I was hoping to use it as wireless gaming headset when I feel too lazy to plug it in... but perhaps the bells and whistles of plugging it in is worthwhile enough for me to ditch the wireless feature of a gaming headset.

This isn't reflection of all headphones but it gives you an idea of latencies between the different codecs.

eplxt.jpg

Your best bet is something with AAC even though it'll still not be ideal. You absolutely do not want SBC for gaming. Avantree's proprietary Fast Stream is 70ms and is responsive enough, but the Mobius doesn't support it. It might be connected to AptX, hence why my Portapro reads it, but the Mobius doesn't. I'll test the Creative Soundblaster Jam to see which it defaults to.

Now... LDAC is a low latency codec, and having JUST talked to Sankar of Audeze about it, he has his reasons why it was chosen over aptX.

His reasoning has convinced me, and I can't divulge, but it makes ALL the sense, particularly with the way the future is heading.

Me and some of you guys that use dongles are part of a niche, while Audeze is thinking about mass market where LDAC is only becoming bigger and bigger.

He did clarify though that AptX LL is limited to things like dongles. Mobile devices don't support it.

The only thing that is uncertain is what the latency numbers of LDAC is. In my case it's not an issue since I only use my phone for non-gaming use.

Perhaps in the future, there will be dongles that support LDAC. That is best case scenario.

He could've chosen AptX but it's a competing product to LDAC so it was one or the other, and trust me, you want LDAC.

So in our use case we are 'currently' out of luck with devices to transmit to Mobius, but the future may be quite different.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #4,897 of 7,693
Hi guys, I did this review. So probably not a smart move coming here, but I do come in peace, and hopefully this can be a positive discussion. I'll be on my computer for the night as I'm working on another thing at the moment, so definitely feel free to ask any questions on the headphones or review.

First off I am a normal guy who just wanted to begin reviewing tech this year as a sort of a resolution. It is purely a hobby for me. I do not care about the numbers nor do I have any agenda when i review something. I buy and review things that I find interesting or am excited about. Mobius was one of those things, so I backed it early. I spent 12 days with it while I was testing it and used it nonstop (while I was home) in a variety of ways. I heard the hissing from day 1 and also received the emails from Audeze about the issue. I posted the review mainly to inform consumers who may be interested in this headphone but may not actually be subscribed to audeze and unaware of the issue. As far as I am concerned Audeze hasn't publicly announced there was an issue, just to their backers and website subscribers, so I figured I could be a source of information until the issue was resolved.

Failing to mention the recall in the video was unintentional and a mistake on my part and I will take the video down tomorrow (august 15th) and re-review the headphone once Audeze repairs the one I received. I will leave it up for the time-being just as a source for questions (from you guys) if desired.

Overall the headphones are great and they are well worth $400. The fact that you can get a top-teir gaming headphone and an entry-level audiophile headphone in one package is really special, but I do think the hiss is not something to gloss over. Yes, it is apparently fixed (according to one of your members who has the revised cans) but if it truly isn't fixed, then it is a problem worth mentioning.

Please feel free to ask any questions and hopefully this can be a positive discussion.

And one last thing: If the 90 second "flaw" bit near the end was removed and you isolated everything else, was the review informative for a general consumer? Thanks.
Hi, I was wondering if you had the opportunity to watch any movies or stream Netflix via Apple TV with the Mobius? I'm curious to find out if there is any latency over Bluetooth? Thanks.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #4,899 of 7,693
I'm someone who has an aversion to leatherette or real leather/sheepskin pads of any kind, but I can say that the Mobius is one of the few that I can wear for prolonged periods without discomfort. I prefer cloth/velour materials, but those aren't ideal for closed back headphones. The Mobius pads are really comfy despite my general intolerances.

Considering the mechanism for removing the pads on these, I do hope that Audeze considers making perhaps a velour topped, leather pad. Where just the area the pads sit on the skin is velour or other cloths, but the majority of the pads stay leather for the seal, and sonic qualities.

Like Dekoni Audio Hybrid pads. I would certainly get them asap. Hell, if Dekoni gets their hands on the Mobius and make the pads themselves, I'd be ecstatic.

2w7o7ba.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #4,900 of 7,693
This isn't reflection of all headphones but it gives you an idea of latencies between the different codecs.

eplxt.jpg

Your best bet is something with AAC even though it'll still not be ideal. You absolutely do not want SBC for gaming. Avantree's proprietary Fast Stream is 70ms and is responsive enough, but the Mobius doesn't support it. It might be connected to AptX, hence why my Portapro reads it, but the Mobius doesn't. I'll test the Creative Soundblaster Jam to see which it defaults to.

Now... LDAC is a low latency codec, and having JUST talked to Sankar of Audeze about it, he has his reasons why it was chosen over aptX.

His reasoning has convinced me, and I can't divulge, but it makes ALL the sense, particularly with the way the future is heading.

Me and some of you guys that use dongles are part of a niche, while Audeze is thinking about mass market where LDAC is only becoming bigger and bigger.

He did clarify though that AptX LL is limited to things like dongles. Mobile devices don't support it.

The only thing that is uncertain is what the latency numbers of LDAC is. In my case it's not an issue since I only use my phone for non-gaming use.

Perhaps in the future, there will be dongles that support LDAC. That is best case scenario.

He could've chosen AptX but it's a competing product to LDAC so it was one or the other, and trust me, you want LDAC.

So in our use case we are 'currently' out of luck with devices to transmit to Mobius, but the future may be quite different.
Tomorrow's product, today!*

*not all features available until tomorrow

:p

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #4,902 of 7,693
Hi, I was wondering if you had the opportunity to watch any movies or stream Netflix via Apple TV with the Mobius? I'm curious to find out if there is any latency over Bluetooth? Thanks.

The latency is noticeable on an iPhone via Bluetooth and they both utilize iOS. Experience breaking for video via Bluetooth. I’ve heard from others that other devices may not experience the same latency but it’s not an issue with the iPhone’s Bluetooth. I’d advise Audeze to test iOS devices to see if they can further optimize the latency.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #4,903 of 7,693
Aug 15, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #4,904 of 7,693
I'm someone who has an aversion to leatherette or real leather/sheepskin pads of any kind, but I can say that the Mobius is one of the few that I can wear for prolonged periods without discomfort. I prefer cloth/velour materials, but those aren't ideal for closed back headphones. The Mobius pads are really comfy despite my general intolerances.

Considering the mechanism for removing the pads on these, I do hope that Audeze considers making perhaps a velour topped, leather pad. Where just the area the pads sit on the skin is velour or other cloths, but the majority of the pads stay leather for the seal, and sonic qualities.

Like Dekoni Audio Hybrid pads. I would certainly get them asap. Hell, if Dekoni gets their hands on the Mobius and make the pads themselves, I'd be ecstatic.

2w7o7ba.jpg

Velour is the best it gets for headphone comfort.

The pads the Mobius comes with are quite nice, the memory foam works surprisingly well at creating a proper seal.

Aug 15, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #4,905 of 7,693

Users who are viewing this thread

Back