Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 6, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #4,351 of 7,693
Yes, it creates a larger soundstage.

Do sounds still show up behind you with a 2 channel source? Sorry I wasn't very clear in my question.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #4,352 of 7,693
How warm do the pads/ears get?

Would be interesting to hear pad swap options - especially in relation to sound.

Am tipping the "finely tuned dsp" would be done with respect to the pads delivered - wonder how much/if any negative effect changing pads would have.
Earpads - We can write a book on them! The earpad holder actually makes them easy to change.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 6, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #4,353 of 7,693
Do sounds still show up behind you with a 2 channel source? Sorry I wasn't very clear in my question.

Yes, definitely! Any headphone with excellent imaging on a 2.1 source will put sounds behind you to begin with. The 3D effect with 2.1 sources is better than expected.

This is a great demonstration of what is possible with 2.1 sources:

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #4,354 of 7,693
Earpads - We can write a book on them! The earpad holder actually makes them easy to change.

Would probably be one of the 1st to purchase a "premium" soft leather pad if you were to offer them :wink:

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #4,355 of 7,693
Would probably be one of the 1st to purchase a "premium" soft leather pad if you were to offer them :wink:

or if their leather-free vegan pads make a comeback :)

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #4,356 of 7,693
Does anyone know exactly how the AUX input works?

Based on my earlier understanding when I signed up and reading (most of) this thread, it was AUX > ADC > DAC > Amp > Transducer.

Based on this, I expected the ADC > DAC double conversion to be a bottleneck on sound quality. However, I connected my Mobius to the output of a Mimby and it was significantly superior to the output of the PS4 controller. And *of course* a Mimby is vastly superior to a PS4 controller, but I didn't expect the PS4 controller to be the bottleneck in this, at least not to this degree.

So either the ADC > DAC double conversion ain't bad or the AUX input path is AUX > Amp > Transducer.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #4,357 of 7,693
I wanna try the vegan pads on the Mobius tbh. Audeze makes great pads.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #4,358 of 7,693
That’s surprising. I feel there’s a fairly substantial jump in detail from 2ch to HiRes...
That's pretty interesting you should say that.

I don't remember how many years ago it was when I heard the Sony 1st generation SACD players (It was built like a Tank (& not much lighter than one) playing some single layer Stereo DSD
SACD discs . The "Presence" & "Dimensionality" of the recorded sound grabbed your attention pretty quickly as the sound was distinguishable as not just being 2ch PCM !

Before hearing that I can remember thinking that DVD-Audio was going to be the format to follow. I stopped thinking about DVD- Audio. I'm still convinced that it's not how many channels of sound that makes something "Hi Res" but how many bits are being sampled & at what frequency rate as 44.1khz really doesn't give you much "Musical Harmonics Headroom" & it's the capture of uninterupted harmonic decay of the musical notes that gives them the sense of dimensional relationships with the players & the space they're occupying as they play .

They were a little to quick to approve the CD standard of 44.1khz at 16 bits . Now how true it is that CDs were never intended to be a higher quality playback medium as the first players were mostly portable players , I can't recall .

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #4,359 of 7,693
Yeah, was being half sarcastic.

ANC is the reason 99% of people buy the models mentioned - not really fair to say it blows them away when it doesn't have the main function the others do.

Not having a go at the Mobius or yourself, but it'll be the Sony's I take when I fly out next month because they will blow away the Mobius at that time :p

Mobius doesn’t have a particularly high level of isolation so travelers may still want an ANC headphone on hand. Though I imagine it would be okay on a plane, especially if you’re a diehard audiophile and want the best quality possible for a movie.

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #4,360 of 7,693
Think speakers in a room (have used the Waves NX.) It doesn't feel like there is a lack of immersive sound or that it's too much to the front. Both ears are filled with immersive, sound like speakers in a room that fills the sound out and adds crosstalk.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #4,363 of 7,693
Mobius doesn’t have a particularly high level of isolation so travelers may still want an ANC headphone on hand. Though I imagine it would be okay on a plane, especially if you’re a diehard audiophile and want the best quality possible for a movie.

IMHO: not recommended. Even on the most isolating headphones I had (MoFi), I had to crank it loud enough that I had some ringing in my ears after the flight.

Hardcore audiophiles should protect their hearing with lower volume via ANC or some ultra isolating iems.

Hearing well all the time > slight airplane sound quality

Aug 7, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #4,365 of 7,693
Does anyone know exactly how the AUX input works?

Based on my earlier understanding when I signed up and reading (most of) this thread, it was AUX > ADC > DAC > Amp > Transducer.

Based on this, I expected the ADC > DAC double conversion to be a bottleneck on sound quality. However, I connected my Mobius to the output of a Mimby and it was significantly superior to the output of the PS4 controller. And *of course* a Mimby is vastly superior to a PS4 controller, but I didn't expect the PS4 controller to be the bottleneck in this, at least not to this degree.

So either the ADC > DAC double conversion ain't bad or the AUX input path is AUX > Amp > Transducer.

Your original understanding is correct, AUX does go through Mobuis's DAC because AUX supports 2.0 channel 3d mode, if it went straight into the amp that would not be possible. The PS4 controllers DAC is really just that bad. However, by default the PS4 controllers audio is over bluetooth even if your controller is plugged into PS4 with a USB cord. You have to change a setting to use the controller as a USB Audio Device. Did you ever do that? That is a jump up in sound quality right there, but then its another big jump going optical to a DAC after that too, like you experienced. That could explain why it seemed like quite a big difference to you, the PS4 controller is by far the weakest link, especially if it's in bluetooth audio mode.

Edit: The Mobius supports 2.0 channel USB mode with the PS4, this would be the best method for connecting to a PS4 because then your cutting out multiple conversions from the signal chain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back