• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Mar 15, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #347 of 7,693
MLE, I had seen you mention that you used the Mobius with your X7... did you try pairing them with it through Bluetooth? I ordered these to use as my console cans (I have a PS4) and, if I could get it to work wirelessly, I'd be pumped.

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #350 of 7,693
MLE, I had seen you mention that you used the Mobius with your X7... did you try pairing them with it through Bluetooth? I ordered these to use as my console cans (I have a PS4) and, if I could get it to work wirelessly, I'd be pumped.
You know, I forget that the X7 even has that function. I will try that first thing tomorrow morning. Stay tuned. I have never used that function on the X7 so I don't have any expectations on how it works.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #351 of 7,693
@Mad Lust Envy - Thanks for all your feedback on these so far, a big factor in me deciding to take the plunge!!

Question - you've mentioned that with 2 channel stereo recordings, the 3D/Spatialisation effectively mimics a pair of stereo speakers in front of you. Did you get an impression of soundstage in a similar way that you might get from decent speakers? And in your opinion, do you think this setting might be an advantage for, for example, older jazz recordings where players/instruments are panned hard left and right?

Is the 3D mode something you could ever see yourself choosing to use with stereo recordings?

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #352 of 7,693
@Mad Lust Envy - Thanks for all your feedback on these so far, a big factor in me deciding to take the plunge!!

Question - you've mentioned that with 2 channel stereo recordings, the 3D/Spatialisation effectively mimics a pair of stereo speakers in front of you. Did you get an impression of soundstage in a similar way that you might get from decent speakers? And in your opinion, do you think this setting might be an advantage for, for example, older jazz recordings where players/instruments are panned hard left and right?

Is the 3D mode something you could ever see yourself choosing to use with stereo recordings?

Yes, like a decent pair of speakers gives you a nice frontal sound range, the Mobius in 3D On/Stereo mode is very much like that. There are times when I was listening to music, that I actively engaged 3D On and enjoyed the presentation. For the purists of audiophiles, this may not be the most ideal solution, but to those who just wanna enjoy music in a different way, it is more than capable and enjoyable. Only you can say whether that is fine for you or not. There are other virtual surround solutions that I wouldn't listen to music with, like Dolby Headphone in its generally widely used room 2 mode.

The Mobius virtual surround in stereo is much better than that for this purpose.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #353 of 7,693
Just to point this out since I've seen VR mentioned a few times. When wearing an HMD (Vive, Oculus, etc) the soundstage is already fixed, due to how the HMD works and processes sound. So the Mobius is moot in that regard.

The Ossic X will allow using the HMD's tracker + spatialization in the headset (which is much more sophisticated and personalized than what can be done just on the PC). Audeze could have offered the same. Granted, the app might need to be altered to support this, though ideally this is done at a more central place (i.e. SteamVR).

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #354 of 7,693
The Ossic X will allow using the HMD's tracker + spatialization in the headset (which is much more sophisticated and personalized than what can be done just on the PC). Audeze could have offered the same. Granted, the app might need to be altered to support this, though ideally this is done at a more central place (i.e. SteamVR).

This might work with some HMDs that have a USB output like the Vive. But some of the new ones and rift only have analog output. We can certainly get any USB or analog output and feed it into the headphones and use either 3D off or auto-align mode. We had some students at the USC GamePipe lab use the mobius this way for a demo. It was interesting.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 15, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #355 of 7,693
Yes, like a decent pair of speakers gives you a nice frontal sound range, the Mobius in 3D On/Stereo mode is very much like that. There are times when I was listening to music, that I actively engaged 3D On and enjoyed the presentation. For the purists of audiophiles, this may not be the most ideal solution, but to those who just wanna enjoy music in a different way, it is more than capable and enjoyable. Only you can say whether that is fine for you or not. There are other virtual surround solutions that I wouldn't listen to music with, like Dolby Headphone in its generally widely used room 2 mode.

The Mobius virtual surround in stereo is much better than that for this purpose.

Wicked!! Thanks for the quick and encouraging response!

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #356 of 7,693
Wicked!! Thanks for the quick and encouraging response!
To add, the headtracking makes it also kinda fun. You can just walk around and feel like "Yeah, there are some speakers 'over there'." It's really great.

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #357 of 7,693

But whats the point? Dont VR headsets already do their own surround virtualization (or at least offer it) and they obviously already have head tracking. So wouldnt the same features in the mobius be redundant in that particular instance? I mean the audio is already being processed that way, so you could still use them normally just without processing, but that case would be no different than any other headphones. How is what the ossic doing any more sophisticated than what the VR headsets can already do with their own tracking and virtualization?

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #359 of 7,693
We are growing a pretty avid headphone enthusiasts group here in Edmonton, Canada - so I'm sure one of us Audeze fans will be bringing a Mobius to a meet eventually.

LOL....I wonder who that might be bringing his Mobius to the next meet :)

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #360 of 7,693
Strictly in terms of the purist two channel modes with no 3d audio turned on, the soundstage is pretty standard for a closed back headphone/planar. Personally, nothing to write home about. I don't put much stock in closed back headphone soundstage. I don't expect miracles. There's very few headphones that surprised me here, stuff like the Fostex TH-900, MrSpeakers Alpha Dog and Ether C are among the few that surpassed expectations.

In its 3d mode, the soundstage turns into something like a room with speakers. It's obviously wide and spacious.

The Mobius by default has good frontal imaging depth, IMO. Just like most planars I've heard.

Edit: I edit alot because my auto correct is a dreadful monster that changes words into other words AFTER I write them.

for closed headphones that have big soundstage, it's akg k551/k550 that i owned before. but no longer AKG fanboy. even the k712 is so muddled compared with the lowest tier Audeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back