• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Mar 16, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #376 of 7,693
Inter aural delay and inter aural intensity difference are a function of the distance between your ears and the approximate head size, it is not rocket science and all we need is a simple measurement with a measuring tape to compute the right values.

Multiple drivers within a very confined space capture only a very little portion of what we experience in real life even if the multiple drivers are placed in some extreme angles. For example, how would one capture the HRTF of a center channel directly in front or a rear channel directly behind. Even then it will not include the effect of head and torso.

when the frequency response is split over multiple drivers, a crossover that is transparent is needed, which will be challenge with multiple drivers.

The compensation we apply is based on experience and uses both measurements and critical listening and works well with the 3D emulation algorithms. The DSP presets and 3D emulation works very well for localization in a gaming or movie environment. For a purist perspective for music listening (which includes me) who values tonality more than emulation for critical listening, switching off 3D would give you a neutral sound signature tailored to your ear as the only HRTF involved is your own.

(Edited for clarity)

so assuring listening to Yoda.

boy, i am thinking of getting THIRD one now.

Mar 16, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #377 of 7,693
If you are looking for a pair of light, closed-back headphones that would sound great wireless or directly driven out of your laptop, Mobius will fit the bill. When you turning of 3d, what you are left with is still a a pair of Audeze's with Cipher DSP presets tuned to sound neutral.

We use our own target curve, so 'neutral' is to us is with reference to our reference setup. That said, 2dB up between 20-140Hz is about right and what you can expect.

You could turn of the Cipher DSP presets and use your own or you can add your own over the default preset on any platform (Win 10/Mac/Mobile).

So does that mean when everything is turned off and set to neutral it follows the Audeze curve with 2dB up at low frequencies, or it is "flat"?

For reference I have the Sines with Cipher, and I prefer them without the Cipher and its EQ. I am not a fan of juicing the bass in general. It seems to screw the timing.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #378 of 7,693
I know these batteries last a good few years but why can B&O have user replacable batteries in their BT and ANC headphones, yet Audeze (and others) can't?

I also live in Europe and would find the cost impossible to justify.......so these aren't for me.

I also want to ask Audeze what they think about a future where we see 'dead' BT headphones floating in our oceans?

There are a few factors when deciding this in the design process. Firstly it costs a little extra to make the battery user replaceable: battery contacts, headshell contacts, nice snap on cover.

Most importantly it opens up the possiblity of third party batteries being used easily. This is a risk for the manufacturer to all kinds of safety issues and lawsuits. Ever seen a video of a Li-ion battey going pop? Want that next to your ear? If you are making battery powered products that are worn you want to really tightly control where the batteries come from. Even then things go wrong now and then. Samsung make some of the best batteries in the world, so much so that Apple use them in most of their products. Yet the note 7 still went pop, because they rushed it to market and didn't catch the issue. People can still get the product opened by some unauthorised repair guy and replaced buy a copy battery, but then the manufacture can not be blamed. There are a multitude of other reasons too, but this can be the driver.

I think Audeze is doing this the right way.

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #379 of 7,693
[..]it costs a little extra to make the battery user replaceable: battery contacts, headshell contacts, nice snap on cover.

Most importantly it opens up the possiblity of third party batteries being used easily. This is a risk for the manufacturer to all kinds of safety issues and lawsuits. Ever seen a video of a Li-ion battey going pop? Want that next to your ear?[...] Yet the note 7 still went pop, because they rushed it to market and didn't catch the issue.[...]
I don't agree with you. If your going to spend more than $260 on headsets, your not going to buy cheap batteries. Your going to do what everyone has been doing with the Siberia 840 for the last two years. Swap the two sets of batteries that come with it at $19.99 per pair for brand new ones. I can't seem to google -any- 3rd party batteries.

I think someone who has been in the headset game can "figure out" how to design a little lid for batteries. It's not exactly brain surgery for a skilled engineer.

Case in point, every review I've read about the 840 siberia, and the arctis pro wireless, always mentions and raves about the hot-swap battery. They're even interchangeable across the 840 siberia and the arctis pro wireless.

The arctis pro pre-release headsets steelseries sent out, went to gamers. Not audiophiles that reference audiophile grade hardware. So I'm not getting one, because I can't take them seriously. But that doesn't mean that audeze can't try to match them in more than just superior speaker technology.

My other big cocern has been the microphone boom has no noise cancellation. Directional is neat, but in my opinion not enough. Don't believe me? Watch this. When I'm at a LAN party, or a loud area with other gamers, I dont want to have to mute the mic. Kinda defeats the purpose of a closed back headset.

Also I love the comment about the Note 7, it had nothing to do with a replaceable battery, it had everything to do with poor QA, and a bad supplier they selected. I highly doubt Audeze would go that cheap on the battery, or design a product so hastily that it would catch on fire during use, or while charging. (If you read into it, even the Samsung SDI battery factory had a fire. By you guessed it; faulty note 7 batteries in storage...)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #380 of 7,693
There are a few factors when deciding this in the design process. Firstly it costs a little extra to make the battery user replaceable: battery contacts, headshell contacts, nice snap on cover.

Most importantly it opens up the possiblity of third party batteries being used easily. This is a risk for the manufacturer to all kinds of safety issues and lawsuits. Ever seen a video of a Li-ion battey going pop? Want that next to your ear? If you are making battery powered products that are worn you want to really tightly control where the batteries come from. Even then things go wrong now and then. Samsung make some of the best batteries in the world, so much so that Apple use them in most of their products. Yet the note 7 still went pop, because they rushed it to market and didn't catch the issue. People can still get the product opened by some unauthorised repair guy and replaced buy a copy battery, but then the manufacture can not be blamed. There are a multitude of other reasons too, but this can be the driver.

I think Audeze is doing this the right way.

B&O have user replaceable batteries in all it's BT/ANC headphones. THAT, in my opinion is the right way.........the right way...... for consumers who do not want to be hit with charges/postal charges/ import charges and the loss of their headphones for weeks while some 'guy' pops the headphone open and snaps in another battery. Also, I wouldn't dream of putting a 'poundshop' battery in a premium product......why would I?

Secondly and maybe more importantly we may be seeing the start of another blight on our oceans where consumers look at charges for sending BT headphones away for new batteries to be fitted and think, hell, I just as well dump them and get another set!

I am not just having a 'pop' at Audeze here, other manufacturers do the same.....I am just glad B&O are doing things differently!

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #381 of 7,693
B&O have user replaceable batteries in all it's BT/ANC headphones. THAT, in my opinion is the right way.........the right way...... for consumers who do not want to be hit with charges/postal charges/ import charges and the loss of their headphones for weeks while some 'guy' pops the headphone open and snaps in another battery. Also, I wouldn't dream of putting a 'poundshop' battery in a premium product......why would I?

Secondly and maybe more importantly we may be seeing the start of another blight on our oceans where consumers look at charges for sending BT headphones away for new batteries to be fitted and think, hell, I just as well dump them and get another set!

I am not just having a 'pop' at Audeze here, other manufacturers do the same.....I am just glad B&O are doing things differently!

OK. But remember B&O are very different to B&O Play who make the headphones. The first is a very professional quality organisation, and the second is a bunch of ex-Philips sourcing guys in Singapore getting Chinese factories to design products for them.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #382 of 7,693
Any chance Audeze can provide a couple of test audio clips from the final version of the mic when its done? After all Mic quality is a pretty important when it comes to gaming headsets.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #384 of 7,693
Maybe I missed the answer to this but how did Jude test surround sound movies with these? It sounds like they don't have an option that would allow them to work with a Blu-ray player.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know whether you can have it paired to a device via bluetooth while charging it with a cable via a normal phone charger?
It looks like the answer to that is yes, they said you can have multiple inputs (including bluetooth) and alternate between them at will

[mod edit: merged posts]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 16, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #386 of 7,693
MLE, I had seen you mention that you used the Mobius with your X7... did you try pairing them with it through Bluetooth? I ordered these to use as my console cans (I have a PS4) and, if I could get it to work wirelessly, I'd be pumped.
I didn't think of this sooner, but the X7 RECEIVES bluetooth audio and transmits to wired connected headphones/speakers. It's not an audio transmitter that the Mobius would pick up. This seems like common sense that I didn't think of until testing it now, though it's likely because I have never used that function.

So no, PS4 to X7 to Mobius wouldn't work wirelessly.

At least not just like that. You can buy something like the Avantree Saturn Pro which takes audio from na 3.5mm output and transmits. The Mobius can pick that up, though not sure how good that product is sound quality-wise.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #387 of 7,693
Does 5.1/7.1 work if a tv has usb out?

That would solve a lot of couch situations
I plan to test with the USB ports on my TV when I get the chance, but I can already tell you that it will depend on the TV itself. Some TVs use USB for updates only, others for media playback. The majority of TVs on the market will not support USB audio output, but I'm curious to see if my TV that runs Android TV will be different. In the unlikely case it does, it's more likely to output stereo rather than a multichannel signal. I won't know for sure until I try.

@AxelCloris Hey I saw your comment on YT about connecting the Mobius to the a 55" 4K HDR TV. You got me curious as to how you chained everything.
For that comment, the Mobius was connected to an HTPC, not directly to my TV. My setup was pretty basic with the HTPC.

TV < HDMI < HTPC > USB > Mobius

Its been asked several times in the Thread, but I have yet to see an answer. With, say a 2017 SONY hi end TV with a USB out, be able to drive the full 7.1 channel signal with the Mobius?
As mentioned above, I'll be trying this to see if I can get a result. My gut is telling me no, but I've not played with all of the Android TV settings, so it may be something that's possible. I have a 2017 Sony.

Are these the first non-sony headphones that will have LDAC capability?
First that I'm aware of, but I have been wrong before.

Maybe I missed the answer to this but how did Jude test surround sound movies with these? It sounds like they don't have an option that would allow them to work with a Blu-ray player.
We tested movies with the Mobius by connecting the headset to a computer with a monitor or television connected. I believe Jude did most of his movie watching on an iMac.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #388 of 7,693
raband said:
Are these the first non-sony headphones that will have LDAC capability?

First that I'm aware of, but I have been wrong before.

If this is the case then there has been a hell of a lot of stuff happening in the background that speaks more than the advert.

Means Sony is onboard, or at least ticked off on the project??

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #389 of 7,693
What would be anyone's take on using these on a 120" screen, 7.3 rig running through an Integra AVR specifically for Bluray?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #390 of 7,693
What would be anyone's take on using these on a 120" screen, 7.3 rig running through an Integra AVR?

My guess is that the bottom line is that you can only access 5.1 and 7.1 if you have a usb port that can be used to send the encoded signal. In most cases this means a Mac or pc as source. Other options would be a device which can extract a surround signal from a different method (HDMI, optical, whatever) and convert it to a compatible signal but since the headphones effectively become an audio device for the computer, this may not be possible due to use of software and drivers.

This is guesswork on my part though, based on this thread. Happy to be corrected!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back