Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Aug 30, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #5,041 of 5,780
That would require us to put a Wifi Client in the headset. Wifi chipsets are typically more power hungry. But one of our customers uses a virtual USB client for a very different use case with Mobius. The studio is on one side and the machine room with all the servers are on the other side of a very busy roadway. They have Fiber running across under the road. They use KVM over USB to route the machines to the rooms on the other side where they stations with Mobius units to QC the 5.1 video for IMF Deliverables.

Can you please share how your client set it up? Were they using a rasverry pi w being powered by the headphones themselves?

Meanwhile, can you recommend a bluetooth USB that was tested to work with both high qualtiy and also (but not at the same time, I know) aptx Low Latency for Windows?

Warm is perhaps the most optimized for 3D audio reproduction.

Why is the flat preset recommended for 3D off? "Flat: This brings the tonal balance closer to the natural response of the headphones. We recommend this preset when 3D is off for gaming, movies or music. The Default preset will sound slightly warmer than the Flat preset. Consider yourself warned, and enlightened!"
from: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004275151-How-to-change-Mobius-built-in-EQ-Presets

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #5,042 of 5,780
The Voice presets were actually recorded and converted to really low bit-rate compressed files (8 bit, 6 Khz sampling) to fit it inside the chip. Don't use it for quality reference.

I know, but I don't mean the overall quality of the voice, but that you sometimes hear the voice popping and other times not when I switch between the EQ presets.

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #5,044 of 5,780
These are my best sounding portables ever and nothing else even comes close for me due to the 3D emulation, it really is phenomenal. However, this is the second pair I've broken (headband on both pair, same place) and I'm starting to think they're not ideal for portable use because of durability issues.
Had the same issue, Audeze CEO even reached me to replace them but it was impossible for me to send them back. I had to fix them in my own terms
I found a Yamaha headset from the 70's (HP-900) and replaced their plastic headband entirely for this old metallic one, I had to do some soldering with the wires.
oWFbkWZ.jpg

I also peeked at the battery and now I know how to source it once this one dies. I had to make holes for the wiring and put some screws on the plastic side holders. I lost the swivel but I could mod it by cutting a bit of the metal ceilings that prevent the swivel to allow 90 degree turns, so far I'm happy with the results, but after long periods I am geting some small issues with the usb port or the muse voice being missing after long hours, normally I use them in 7.1 mode but when I turn them on with usb they show as hi rez but when I cycle them its like 7.1 is the starting point even when they are not. I am planning a few more fixes ahead to fix the usb port and If there is an chip that needs got lose or something. I would never buy plastic headsets again, but I would definitely extend the lifespan of these ones and even buy them again once they completely die. I would keep the metal frame for future fixes, with all I did to these I really doubt Audeze will be kind enough to send me new ones. But who knows, once the pandemic is over I would send these to them as long as they take the earcups alone, I would not send them my metal headbands 'cause it is my plan B and I know I might need it again.

Here are some of the very few images I found online of the donor.

$_84.JPG

Yamaha-Hp-900-Professional-Vintage-Studio-Headphone.jpg

Hopefully you can also do a similar diy fix knowing that a replacement it is more likely to break. Also I will look for coiled usb cables for these :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #5,045 of 5,780
connected to PC via USB

My set keeps swapping between modes

2 ch stereo
To
To
Hi Res
Back to
Stereo

its just sitting there switching modes and the Audeze HQ changes each time

USB FW 102
MCU FW 1.71
DSP FW 25

@Audeze please help.

It’s changing / cycling through modes on its own.

how can I lock it on one mode? (7.1)

I can’t use them.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #5,046 of 5,780
connected to PC via USB

My set keeps swapping between modes

2 ch stereo
To
To
Hi Res
Back to
Stereo

its just sitting there switching modes and the Audeze HQ changes each time

USB FW 102
MCU FW 1.71
DSP FW 25

@Audeze please help.

It’s changing / cycling through modes on its own.

how can I lock it on one mode? (7.1)

I can’t use them.
Hmm, that ain’t good. Until you hear back from Audeze, try:
  1. Power cycle (turn Mobius off then on again).
  2. Make sure the no buttons on the Mobius are being held down by something accidentally.
  3. Disconnect the USB cable from the Mobius and your PC and replug it back in to both.
  4. Try a different USB port on your PC. This probably won’t help, but worth a try anyway.
  5. Try switching the Mobius to either 3.5mm or Bluetooth.
  6. Try and let your Mobius drain battery, then recharge it and try again.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #5,047 of 5,780
Thanks. Will try all that.

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #5,049 of 5,780
Hi,

This is my take on this headphone. I don't like too many words, so I'll keep it simple and I will be grading from 0 to 10.

1)Comfort :-
i) Headband : 7
ii) Pads : 6
iii) Weight : 7( not the lightest)
iv) Sweatiness : 7(quite)
v) clamping force : 6(quite tight, 100mm driver pushing air)

2) Design:-
i) Colours(Copper : 7 , Blue : 6)
ii) Style : 6
iii) practical : 7
iv) Innovative : 7

3) Quality :-
i) Materials used - Plastic : 7
ii) " " - pleather : 7
iii) Overall : 7

4) Sound :-
Sound signature : Almost to flat frequency but sub-bass emphasized.

i) Soundstage wideness : 8
ii) Soundstage spaciousness : 8
iii) Soundstage airiness : 8
iv) Noise in background : 7
v) 3D quality : 8
vI) Virtual soundstage : 8.5
vii) hissiness : 6.5
viii) Frequency range (10 hz - 35k hz) : 9
ix) Overall sound quality : 8.5
x) timbre : 7
xi) vocals : 7
xii) cymbals :8
xiii) strings : 8
xiv) bass quality : 9
xv) bass quantity : 7
xvi) Sub-bass quality : 10
xvii) sub-bass quantity : 9
xviii) Mids quality : 8
xix) Mids quantity : 7.5
xx) treble quality : 8.5
xxi) treble quantity : 9
xxii) Instrument separation : 9

Overall : 7.5/10

Conclusion : I wasn't expecting bass to be as heavy as treble, but I love it. This headphone is definitely not for bassheads, there is a slight dip in mid bass but climbs up all the way to 10hz. Most of the songs are recorded with mid-bass heavy beats, so only some songs can be heard and felt.

Watch Need for speed movie, you will feel the exhaust sound. I love this kind of bass more than typical punchy and bloated bass. For sub-woofer fans, you will love it.

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #5,050 of 5,780
Oh my, these are great for my non-music hobbies.

As headphones, they sound great. I love my LCD-Xs, and these guys are clearly related. Nice detail, fun soundstage. Unlike the LCD-X, these guys don’t sound flat to me at all. The bass is more present and the overall feel is more of a v-shaped freq. response curve. The sound is not fatiguing.

And that’s just as stereo headphones. They do many other things well.

I play XBox, so no 7.1 content for for me (XBoxers are limited to the 3.5mm connector on the controller adapter). By themselves and in 3D mode they are pretty entertaining when playing games. I like the manual mode and centering at will. The built-in equalizer settings seem useful, but I like mine at default so I didn’t pay much attention. The microphone sounds great, or so I’m told by playing buddies. Dolby sells an Atmos plugin for XBox that simulates surround on headphones. I’m happy to report this plays very well with the 3D setting (Especially playing FIFA).

Watching movies on Apple TV or an iPad is fun. Again, the 3D feature is pretty cool even when only doing stereo. I thought it’d be gimmicky, but it’s fun.

As for the not-so-great... the buttons. The bloody buttons. It takes me 5 seconds of press and hold to power on/off. I can’t remember which volume is which of the two dials, and what happens when I press one or the other. All buttons are on the left hand side. You will get warm and sweaty if you AC is not below 74 and you play for an hour. It is what it is.

I played a 7.1 demo in VLC just to try. That was cool - but I have no content in my computers that is VLC-friendly, so I won’t be using it much for a while. 7.1 is hardly an audiophile experience, but the Audeze performs so well in the sound department that I was happily navigating with the effect of being surrounded by speakers.

I think the hardware/ergo details I mentioned as not great are not huge detractors. This is a great sounding gaming headset that has increased my playtime enjoyment. I’ve read the Mobius described as a “platform” - it will be great to see what’s next from Audeze in these department. I don’t see myself gaming without them as they are right now :)

Sep 11, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #5,053 of 5,780
i have seen a recent revew on the avforums where it suggests these can be now used on the xbox one x - is that true as i thought they were pc use only through usb - is there an upgraded model that they have ?
Mobius works only using 3.5mm on Xbox. Or new wireless headset Penrose is specifically designed with Xbox Series X and S and uses a low latency wireless dongle

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 11, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #5,055 of 5,780
So how does that even work? dolby supported games upmix to spatial audio then dolby atmos downmixes to stereo then mobius upmixes to virtual 7.1?!
There is no up mix to 7.1. The Dolby plugin seems to be sending a simple stereo remixed to give you the impression of a wider soundstage. From Mobius' perspective, it's just doing its fun 3D thing with the stereo it's getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back