Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Aug 14, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #4,996 of 5,780
Do you position the microphone very close to your mouth? No problems with breathing noise?

I did the adjustments as per their homepage earlier today, will evaluate with the kids this evening. (already had most of it set as suggested though)
I don't know what advice they have on their homepage, but you can adjust the microphone level in Windows 10. Right click the speaker icon in the bottom right of the task bar, select "Open Sound Settings", under Input select "Device properties", and there is a slider to adjust the volume. My slider is currently set to 36, and I have the audeze mic volume at about 80-90%. I don't get complaints from my friends/coworkers that I'm quiet

Aug 14, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #4,997 of 5,780
I don't know what advice they have on their homepage, but you can adjust the microphone level in Windows 10. Right click the speaker icon in the bottom right of the task bar, select "Open Sound Settings", under Input select "Device properties", and there is a slider to adjust the volume. My slider is currently set to 36, and I have the audeze mic volume at about 80-90%. I don't get complaints from my friends/coworkers that I'm quiet

Yeah that's what they hinted at. I set it to 100,mic level on headset lower so I don't get the annoying sidetone. It seemed to work well this evening, had the mic very close to my mouth but no breathing issues 👍 there's hope yet :)

Checked out the Penrose now, any news on when it will be released and available?
List price lower than the Mobius, does it offer the same sound quality, with 7.1 and 3D and all? Completely wireless sounds nice... may return the Mobius and preorder the Penrose instead, or would the Mobius with Penrose mic be a better alternative?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #4,998 of 5,780
I recently grabbed the last pair of Mobius pads from my local Audeze distributor, and I have to say I wish I that I'd gotten them sooner - they're an upgrade in every regard. Isolation is at least 25% improved, in addition to providing a more snug, comfortable fit. Sonically they feel on par with the stock pads.

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #4,999 of 5,780
Do you position the microphone very close to your mouth? No problems with breathing noise?

I did the adjustments as per their homepage earlier today, will evaluate with the kids this evening. (already had most of it set as suggested though)
Not extremely close, but yes, according to Audeze's instructions. No problems with breathing noise.
Yeah that's what they hinted at. I set it to 100,mic level on headset lower so I don't get the annoying sidetone. It seemed to work well this evening, had the mic very close to my mouth but no breathing issues 👍 there's hope yet :)

Checked out the Penrose now, any news on when it will be released and available?
List price lower than the Mobius, does it offer the same sound quality, with 7.1 and 3D and all? Completely wireless sounds nice... may return the Mobius and preorder the Penrose instead, or would the Mobius with Penrose mic be a better alternative?
Sound quality is supposed to be the same, and it (the Penrose) should have the same or very similar 100mm planar drivers, but it won't have 3D Audio, head-tracking, or even virtual 7.1 (Audeze says it will rely on whatever solutions you want to use - next-gen consoles are rumored to offer their own virtual 7.1 applications, and on PC you can use whatever you want, Dolby Atmos, Waves NX, etc - just like any other pair of stereo cans). They also won't have LDAC ( a higher quality Bluetooth codec). They will have a tri-band EQ that can be saved to the device (exciting!), connection over 2.4 ghz wireless (which is the big thing here), possibly a longer battery life, and also a better mic (which is compatible with Mobius). I think the answer to your question is do you want 2.4 ghz (great for gamers/media consumption, and since it is lossless, good for CD-quality music too), and can you deal with no 3D Audio, headtracking, and no virtual 7.1? If so, then definitely consider the Penrose. Otherwise, stick with your Mobius and buy the Penose mic in September (and I can't imagine it being more than ~$30).
BTW how much did you buy your Mobius for? It's been getting slashed by $100 frequently (and it's varients, the HyperX Cloud Orbit and the Orbit S), which brings it down to $300. I honestly wouldn;t be surprised if Audeze permanently slashes the price to $300, especially now that they are positioning the Mobius as their PC gaming headset, and the Penrose/Penrose X as their console gaming headset (and also for wireless PC gamers).

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #5,000 of 5,780
Why is there a wait for the Penrose mic?

Aug 15, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #5,001 of 5,780
Not extremely close, but yes, according to Audeze's instructions. No problems with breathing noise.

Sound quality is supposed to be the same, and it (the Penrose) should have the same or very similar 100mm planar drivers, but it won't have 3D Audio, head-tracking, or even virtual 7.1 (Audeze says it will rely on whatever solutions you want to use - next-gen consoles are rumored to offer their own virtual 7.1 applications, and on PC you can use whatever you want, Dolby Atmos, Waves NX, etc - just like any other pair of stereo cans). They also won't have LDAC ( a higher quality Bluetooth codec). They will have a tri-band EQ that can be saved to the device (exciting!), connection over 2.4 ghz wireless (which is the big thing here), possibly a longer battery life, and also a better mic (which is compatible with Mobius). I think the answer to your question is do you want 2.4 ghz (great for gamers/media consumption, and since it is lossless, good for CD-quality music too), and can you deal with no 3D Audio, headtracking, and no virtual 7.1? If so, then definitely consider the Penrose. Otherwise, stick with your Mobius and buy the Penose mic in September (and I can't imagine it being more than ~$30).
BTW how much did you buy your Mobius for? It's been getting slashed by $100 frequently (and it's varients, the HyperX Cloud Orbit and the Orbit S), which brings it down to $300. I honestly wouldn;t be surprised if Audeze permanently slashes the price to $300, especially now that they are positioning the Mobius as their PC gaming headset, and the Penrose/Penrose X as their console gaming headset (and also for wireless PC gamers).

Thanks for the info. I bought it as a customer return for around $290. Basically new and unused, guess he/she didn't get along with the mic 😂

I like the 3D and 7.1, saw in the Windows sound settings that it's possible to enable Dolby there but I like to think that a "dedicated" 7.1 headset does a better job than Windows does?

The USB wire doesn't really bother me, although wireless is nice. Don't really know why they couldn't make the 3D and 7.1 work in wireless mode 🤔 the Arctis has 7.1....

Might wait for the Penrose mic and get one of those then 👍

Aug 15, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #5,003 of 5,780
How are people convinced the mic will be better when it’s not even out yet?

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #5,004 of 5,780
Hello everyone , I have a little question and maybe someone can answer me here. I’m the owner of an Hyper x Cloud Orbit S (which is very very close to the Mobius) and I’ve seen something very strange with it in the past few days.

The left side of the headset can get hot and the temperature of my room is high (I’m French and right now we’re in the middle of an heat wave...) My headset is hotter than usual , and yesterday I was in 3D auto mode (plugged in usb c to my computer) and volume started to be very low.
Usually I let the volume at 20 in Windows settings and I’m happy with this. But when the issue happened , I could barely hear anything at a volume of 20.

I´ve switched off the headset and switched on immediately and nothing change. I restarted my computer , nothing change. Finally I switched off the headset , let it cool down a bit, and everything went to normal.

have either of you ever had this problem before? Is this a protection to prevent the headset from overheating? Sorry if my English isn't great, as I said I'm French ! Thank you !

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #5,005 of 5,780

You have the pop filter?
Also maybe check the orientation of the mic itself, it's always been relatively directional in my experience.

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #5,006 of 5,780
Hello everyone , I have a little question and maybe someone can answer me here. I’m the owner of an Hyper x Cloud Orbit S (which is very very close to the Mobius) and I’ve seen something very strange with it in the past few days.

The left side of the headset can get hot and the temperature of my room is high (I’m French and right now we’re in the middle of an heat wave...) My headset is hotter than usual , and yesterday I was in 3D auto mode (plugged in usb c to my computer) and volume started to be very low.
Usually I let the volume at 20 in Windows settings and I’m happy with this. But when the issue happened , I could barely hear anything at a volume of 20.

I´ve switched off the headset and switched on immediately and nothing change. I restarted my computer , nothing change. Finally I switched off the headset , let it cool down a bit, and everything went to normal.

have either of you ever had this problem before? Is this a protection to prevent the headset from overheating? Sorry if my English isn't great, as I said I'm French ! Thank you !
Left side as in the side with the controls, right? Well, sometimes I've noticed that the area around the power button gets a bit hot, especially when it's being used over USB (which means it iss charging while I am using it) but only after I've been using it for a long time. But I've never had overheating problems before. Whenever my Mobius gets a bit hot (but as I said, it doesn't overheat, just gets a bit hot), I just take a break, power the Mobius off, and unplug the USB cable - then it cools down pretty quickly. I haven't ever had any side effects from it heating up, such as what you described about the volume getting wacky.

One thing to note is that it might help if you try to use the Mobius in analog over 3.5mm or Bluetooth, because then it won't be charging while you are using it, so it shouldn't heat up so much. I can confirm that using it over Bluetooth doesn't make it heat up, so analog should be the same. At least until the weather where you are returns to normal.

If you are concerned, I'd just ask Audeze customer support. Hey @Audeze, is this a failsafe?

Your English is fine :) (apparently a lot better than my French, cause all I can say is "Bonjour!" :p).

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #5,010 of 5,780
I'm looking forward to penrose microphone, but here is my alternative for now. it sticks out less and is less intrusive than a goose neck as well.

Sound difference:

mic used something similar to these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

the "arm" is a small extension cable for iphone cases:

https://smile.amazon.com/Headset-Ex...mm+iphone+case+adapter&qid=1597726758&sr=8-15

gm5mW5e.jpg

Has anyone tried these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000677783238.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.270f3c0064P52p&mp=1
or
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001108670825.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.270f3c0064P52p&mp=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back