Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Aug 6, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #4,966 of 5,780
Hello

I am considering buying the Mobius, the hyperx orbit or the Beyerdynamic Mmx300. To get the Mobius i would need a new usb a-c cable since the one provided is way too short. Does anybody have any recommendations for this? Or usb c-c?

Is the Mobius better than the Orbit? Thinking buildquality?

And finally, i will never use bluetooth,head tracking etc. Am i better off with the Beyers?

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #4,967 of 5,780
Hello

I am considering buying the Mobius, the hyperx orbit or the Beyerdynamic Mmx300. To get the Mobius i would need a new usb a-c cable since the one provided is way too short. Does anybody have any recommendations for this? Or usb c-c?

And finally, i will never use bluetooth,head tracking etc. Am i better off with the Beyers?

Mobius is pretty much identical to Orbit S (except for Bluetooth) and Orbit (except for Bluetooth, headtracking and 3D). So, why buy stuff you aren't going to use unless it's so much less expensive that it doesn't matter?

But, does Mmx300 have planar magnetic drivers? If not, that trumps everything, IMHO.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #4,968 of 5,780
I contacted them and they were really great, they offered me trading my broken set with new one and very small cost. However, my problem is shipping cost for both way are high for me and around same cost I need to pay for them. But I believe I have no other option. I am so happy with Mobius for around 2 year almost daily use with care.

But question in my mind, will this crack happen again after 2 years? or did I do something wrong!

Well,d from my experience (and seeing others with a similar crack in the same area), it has to do with how Mobius is designed. When I pick it up, it feels like if I were to hold it horizontally, it would break :p. I think Mobius just isn;t a super durabl;e headset, and you should be very careful with how you handle it. My advice is to never hold it sideways or anything like that. Sorry :frowning2:.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #4,969 of 5,780
Hello

You thinking of the Orbit, or Orbit S? Orbit is $30 less, w/o headtracking. BTW are you a gamer, or an audiophile/gamer (nothing wrong with that, it just helps us get an idea of your priorities and stuff like that). Are you listening to music? How important is mic quality and comfort to you?

Mobius is essentially the version with everything (BT and headtracking), the Orbit S doesn't have Bluetooth, and the Orbit doesn't have Bluetooth or headtracking. Other than that, and imperceptible differences in weight, they are literally the exact same thing - they even use the same software. Your choice.

Keep in mind that the Mobius, Orbit, and Orbit S have lately regularly been slashed by $100, so if you decide to get one of those, you might wanna wait until the next $100 off deal.

As for the cable, honestly, you don't need to buy some super expensive, "audiophile" cable or anything. Get a good solid Anker or something.

Honestly, I'd go for the Orbit/S/Mobius over the Beyerdynamic MMX300 (2nd gen, right?). Audio quality and features are superior, etc. The only reason why I would go for the MMX300 is if: I wanted the extra comfort level (the Mobius/Orbit isn't very comfy, and Beyerdynamics are extremely comfy), or if I really needed the better mic quality of the MMX300. Do note that if you want a better mic, the Audeze Penrose will release in September, and Audeze has said that you will be able to buy the Penrose's mic seperately, and use it with the Mobius/Orbit. The Penrose's mic is supposed to be far better than the Mobius's.

You could also wait until September, when the Audeze Penrose will release. The Penrose is a 2.4 ghz wireless version of the Mobius. It won't have some of the same features, like 3D Audio, or LDAC, but it will be superior in other ways, and cost only $300.

Tl;DR: Buy the Mobius/Orbit/S depending on your budget and the features you want, unless you fancy the Beyerdynamic's comfort. Also note that the Mobius/Orbit/S will likely all be slashed by $100 again soon. Or wait until September for the Penrose.

Aug 6, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #4,970 of 5,780
You thinking of the Orbit, or Orbit S? Orbit is $30 less, w/o headtracking. BTW are you a gamer, or an audiophile/gamer (nothing wrong with that, it just helps us get an idea of your priorities and stuff like that). Are you listening to music? How important is mic quality and comfort to you?

Mobius is essentially the version with everything (BT and headtracking), the Orbit S doesn't have Bluetooth, and the Orbit doesn't have Bluetooth or headtracking. Other than that, and imperceptible differences in weight, they are literally the exact same thing - they even use the same software. Your choice.

Keep in mind that the Mobius, Orbit, and Orbit S have lately regularly been slashed by $100, so if you decide to get one of those, you might wanna wait until the next $100 off deal.

As for the cable, honestly, you don't need to buy some super expensive, "audiophile" cable or anything. Get a good solid Anker or something.

Honestly, I'd go for the Orbit/S/Mobius over the Beyerdynamic MMX300 (2nd gen, right?). Audio quality and features are superior, etc. The only reason why I would go for the MMX300 is if: I wanted the extra comfort level (the Mobius/Orbit isn't very comfy, and Beyerdynamics are extremely comfy), or if I really needed the better mic quality of the MMX300. Do note that if you want a better mic, the Audeze Penrose will release in September, and Audeze has said that you will be able to buy the Penrose's mic seperately, and use it with the Mobius/Orbit. The Penrose's mic is supposed to be far better than the Mobius's.

You could also wait until September, when the Audeze Penrose will release. The Penrose is a 2.4 ghz wireless version of the Mobius. It won't have some of the same features, like 3D Audio, or LDAC, but it will be superior in other ways, and cost only $300.

Tl;DR: Buy the Mobius/Orbit/S depending on your budget and the features you want, unless you fancy the Beyerdynamic's comfort. Also note that the Mobius/Orbit/S will likely all be slashed by $100 again soon. Or wait until September for the Penrose.

Thank you for your good answer.
I will say that i am a semi audiophile gamer. My wish is to use a "headphone" and not a "headset", but i also need and want the convenience with integrated microphone.
That is why i have settled on one of these options.
I already have a Philips X2hr, Akg K712 Pro and a custom DT990. These are my go to headphones when playing singleplayer and listening to music as i love that they are open back.

I am aware of the technical differences(mobius,orbit,beyer) between the headphones, but i have never tried any of them. I also know that the Orbit comes with a longer usb a-c. That is nice.

I like comfort, that is important to me. But i also appreciate good soundquality. They will be used primarely for gaming where i am in need of a mic. I also thought of the possibility to get the Penrose mic when it comes out in case i get a lot of complaints on the Mobius/Orbit mic.

Lastly, build quality and feel is important. I feel the Beyer has a upper hand here? I don't find nearly as much issues on them as i do on the mobius and orbit.

I can get a Orbit(not S) for approx 200$ now. Should i pull the trigger on that then?

Budget is not a problem when picking between any of them. I just want the best and make the right choice. But i am also sensible, so getting the mobius just for features i will never use would also be a bad decision i guess😊

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #4,971 of 5,780
Thank you for your good answer.
I will say that i am a semi audiophile gamer. My wish is to use a "headphone" and not a "headset", but i also need and want the convenience with integrated microphone.
That is why i have settled on one of these options.
I already have a Philips X2hr, Akg K712 Pro and a custom DT990. These are my go to headphones when playing singleplayer and listening to music as i love that they are open back.

I am aware of the technical differences(mobius,orbit,beyer) between the headphones, but i have never tried any of them. I also know that the Orbit comes with a longer usb a-c. That is nice.

I like comfort, that is important to me. But i also appreciate good soundquality. They will be used primarely for gaming where i am in need of a mic. I also thought of the possibility to get the Penrose mic when it comes out in case i get a lot of complaints on the Mobius/Orbit mic.

Lastly, build quality and feel is important. I feel the Beyer has a upper hand here? I don't find nearly as much issues on them as i do on the mobius and orbit.

I can get a Orbit(not S) for approx 200$ now. Should i pull the trigger on that then?

Budget is not a problem when picking between any of them. I just want the best and make the right choice. But i am also sensible, so getting the mobius just for features i will never use would also be a bad decision i guess😊

Good price on the Orbit and it does have a longer cord, forgot about that

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #4,972 of 5,780
First of, i only use my Mobius stationary with my pc and the only wear and tear that happened is me plugging in the USB-C cable regularly.
A few days ago i noticed small cracks on the left side of the Headphone (Indiegogo Mobius) and wrote the customer service about it. My offer is a 100 usd replacement mobius + shipping to europe which was estimated by audeze at around 60-100 usd. Since i also must ship in my old Mobius (estimated at around 30-40 usd at my post office) i would pay up to 240 usd for a replacement.

I'm really unsure what to do and wanted to ask you guys what you think about it. It's my first Audeze product and i absolutely love the sound of these cans but this is still a lot of money for a headset that has these production flaws. And this crack i'm getting doesn't even look like the crack other people are getting on top of the left side of the headphones.

The Indiegogo Campaign ran in April of 2018 but the Headset got shipped a few months later in September of 2018 so thats not even 2 years of use... :slight_frown:

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    699.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #4,973 of 5,780
First of, i only use my Mobius stationary with my pc and the only wear and tear that happened is me plugging in the USB-C cable regularly.
A few days ago i noticed small cracks on the left side of the Headphone (Indiegogo Mobius) and wrote the customer service about it. My offer is a 100 usd replacement mobius + shipping to europe which was estimated by audeze at around 60-100 usd. Since i also must ship in my old Mobius (estimated at around 30-40 usd at my post office) i would pay up to 240 usd for a replacement.

I'm really unsure what to do and wanted to ask you guys what you think about it. It's my first Audeze product and i absolutely love the sound of these cans but this is still a lot of money for a headset that has these production flaws. And this crack i'm getting doesn't even look like the crack other people are getting on top of the left side of the headphones.

The Indiegogo Campaign ran in April of 2018 but the Headset got shipped a few months later in September of 2018 so thats not even 2 years of use... :slight_frown:
for 240 I would buy a new Cloud Orbit S, quite frankly.

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #4,975 of 5,780

Oh no! Normally people have a crack on the outside, not the inside... A few questions: do you use Bluetooth, 3D Audio, or headtracking at all? The Audeze Penrose is releasing in September. It is more or less a Mobius with 2.4 ghz wireless (so lossless wireless), without 3D Audio and headtracking, and a better mic (the mic will also work with the Mobius, so you can basically buy a mic upgrade). There are some other minor additions and removals, but that is basically it's summary. So if you don't really care about the 3D Audio or headtracking, you should consider the Penrose. The Penrose is $300, although if you preorder it now it's $250.

I mean, the Orbit/S are literally the exact same thing as the Mobius, just cheaper, without BT, and the Orbit doesn't have headtracking either. To the best of my knowledge, they didn't change anything about the build quality or anything like that. Nowadays the Mobius/Orbit/S all frequently get dropped in price by $100 - so if you have the choice of a brand new Orbit S for $230 and a Mobius replacement for $190-240, you might as well get the Mobius replacement, right?

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #4,976 of 5,780
Oh no! Normally people have a crack on the outside, not the inside...

I just got a new message from Audeze Support telling me that they will cover the repair in this case! So thats awesome news and service. I'm so happy.
You are totally right, the Penrose would be a very good alternative especially since it supposedly has wireless without bluetooth lag.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #4,977 of 5,780
I just got a new message from Audeze Support telling me that they will cover the repair in this case! So thats awesome news and service. I'm so happy.
You are totally right, the Penrose would be a very good alternative especially since it supposedly has wireless without bluetooth lag.
Oh yes, never heard anything but excellent praises for customer support. 2.4 ghz headphones/sets are almost always for gamers, who need the low latency - for them, the only other possible wireless option is aptX-LL. However, there aren't really any downsides - it is lossless and tends to have the same latency as a wired connection - imperceptible. Just note that the advantages of 2.4 ghz are: playing games, watching videos/movies without latency, lossless wireless (no Bluetooth codec is lossless yet). Do note that:
the Penrose does not have:
  • Bluetooth LDAC (a higher quality Bluetooth codec, can be close to lossless)
  • 3d Audio
  • Headtracking
  • I can't think of anything else really.
it has (compared to Mobius):
  • 2.4 ghz (lossless, low latency wireless) support
  • A better mic (the mic is apparently backwards compatible with Mobius too}
  • probably longer battery life
  • support for onboard tri-band EQ.

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #4,978 of 5,780
I contacted them and they were really great, they offered me trading my broken set with new one and very small cost. However, my problem is shipping cost for both way are high for me and around same cost I need to pay for them. But I believe I have no other option. I am so happy with Mobius for around 2 year almost daily use with care.

But question in my mind, will this crack happen again after 2 years? or did I do something wrong!
Hiya, you did NOTHING wrong! First off, it also happened to me, it's the weak point on their headset that they should address ASAP, but sadly from what I can tell and from their replies, they just force the RMA, the yoke on this headset is the worst and they NEED to officially address it. Since your in SA that cost is just sooo high it might not even be worth it to send back. Even I bought a new Orbit S to replace my mobius for the time the RMA took. I fully expect the crack to happen again after 2 years. It's not a buy it for life headset and other gaming/PC headsets have much better build quality. That said, the headset itself rocks and I cannot do without it. I just want a much better build for the price point of $400. I think Audeze continuing to push this line of plastic without addressing the communites issue with it directly is a big mistake as ANYONE doing research can find out about this yoke issue. As they try to expand their headset line into the international scene they must address these common failure points, as even 2 years of use is fairly unacceptable.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #4,979 of 5,780
Hiya, you did NOTHING wrong! First off, it also happened to me, it's the weak point on their headset that they should address ASAP, but sadly from what I can tell and from their replies, they just force the RMA, the yoke on this headset is the worst and they NEED to officially address it. Since your in SA that cost is just sooo high it might not even be worth it to send back. Even I bought a new Orbit S to replace my mobius for the time the RMA took. I fully expect the crack to happen again after 2 years. It's not a buy it for life headset and other gaming/PC headsets have much better build quality. That said, the headset itself rocks and I cannot do without it. I just want a much better build for the price point of $400. I think Audeze continuing to push this line of plastic without addressing the communites issue with it directly is a big mistake as ANYONE doing research can find out about this yoke issue. As they try to expand their headset line into the international scene they must address these common failure points, as even 2 years of use is fairly unacceptable.
Yep. Kudos to customer support, but still. IMHO plastic is perfectly fine (but not the cheap shiny kind) as long as it is implemented right. I mean, the majority of headphones are plastic maybe with a bit of metal, and they all do fine. Besides, wood would be too much to ask for at $400. But the build quality does have to be better. Both higher-end gaming headsets and all kinds of audiophile headphones always have great build quality, so the Mobius has no excuse here.

Aug 9, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #4,980 of 5,780

I got exact offer, I need around 55$ to send them broken one back and maybe around 60$ to ship new one to me. This is total around 215$. it's really sad that they don't have part replacement. My Mobius is really good condition but that's crack will not let me able to use it. Sad of this. I am from Indiegogo too.

This is exactly what I am worry for. I need to pay around 210$ to get new headphone that may less than 2 years break again. Totally not sure what to do

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back