Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Apr 1, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #4,711 of 5,780
Any tips on how to get the best of them?

dMMIKNT.png

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #4,713 of 5,780
Finally got my Mobius today! ...
Totally hate the whole changing to 2 channel, highres etc...but at least is better than NOT having the options.
Any tips on how to get the best of them?
Once set, you won't need to change those.

To get the best out of Mobius' 3D, set your head dimensions with the AUDEZE HQ App.

While in that set the "Room Ambience" to your taste.
I like it better reduced from default 35 to 22.3, so the added reverb doesn't overshade the roomsounds already present in the music.

My personal opinion:
Mobius biggest strenght is it's unique head-tracking in the 3D emulation, and the comparably low sound coloration in this HRTF based 3D function.
The head tracking, for me, makes the difference that gives me realistic 3D effect, I never experienced with other systems I tried.

Without 3D it's one of the best and most versatile headphone in it's price class, but not the best one in the world if you're willing to pay more.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #4,714 of 5,780
Once set, you won't need to change those.

To get the best out of Mobius' 3D, set your head dimensions with the AUDEZE HQ App.

While in that set the "Room Ambience" to your taste.
I like it better reduced from default 35 to 22.3, so the added reverb doesn't overshade the roomsounds already present in the music.

My personal opinion:
Mobius biggest strenght is it's unique head-tracking in the 3D emulation, and the comparably low sound coloration in this HRTF based 3D function.
The head tracking, for me, makes the difference that gives me realistic 3D effect, I never experienced with other systems I tried.

Without 3D it's one of the best and most versatile headphone in it's price class, but not the best one in the world if you're willing to pay more.
I was at 20 reverb so pretty much with you there. The reason I will keep it is because the head tracking and wireless features should work well for my Oculus Rift setup since I wanted to upgrade from the included headset. For other gaming, I disable the headtracking but in that case, I actually just use my X3 and Fidelio X2HR as I find it superior in most aspects. Still, the Mobius allows me to use it with my phone and VR which is a great plus for me, so guess now it is part of my collection. :)

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #4,715 of 5,780
So looking at replacing some equipment and found this... package. Just trying to figure out if its an upgrade to my HD 6xx. I'll likely replace my Modi 2 at minimum since it now requires a hairdryer warmup for 2 mins to be recognised by Windows, plus my Magni 3 (non+) is old for wear. No problems with the HD 6xx, still going strong.

Reason this is interesting is that to order a new Schiit stack here in Australia, its like $360AUD including shipping. Meanwhile I can buy an Audeze Mobius for $610AUD online with shipping, which would also also replace the whole Virtual HiFi Cable + ASIO4ALL + EqualizerAPO + HeSuVi setup I have. Could also sell the HD 6xx to put towards that cost., making it maybe a $100 additional cost to get the Mobius vs a new Schiit stack.

Is the mobius better than the HD 6xx in hifi mode, also is its surround better than HeSuVi if anyone here's used that?

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #4,716 of 5,780
Is the mobius better than the HD 6xx in hifi mode, also is its surround better than HeSuVi if anyone here's used that?
I have both, HD6xx and Mobius do complement each other if you like to have choices.

On the other hand Mobius tops and replaces HD6xx in most aspects soundwise.
Mobius has far more bass level and extension and a more open and effortless treble.
In the midrange they aren't worlds apppart, a good thing IMO.
The HD6xx is more mid-centric, too much so for me without EQ.
But it has it's qualities and can take some EQ, without changing it's basic character.

In your setup HeSuVi comes into play - extremly versatile, adjustable, uncountable choices.
Easy to get lost.
Seems you're not satisfied with what you get from it.

So for me 3D without headtracking simply doesn't work - period.

That's the culprit of HeSuVi, and that's where Mobius strenght lies:

A selfcontained, complete 3D system with integrated headtracking that, once setup is done, lets you listen to music and whatever you want without distraction by uncountable options.

You still have some EQ variants, within it's basic sound that I would characterize as AUDEZE Housesound on steroids - maybe the soundtuning AUDEZE always wanted but couldn't reach by passive accoustic tuning on their non-powered models.

Portable, plugs and works everywhere, USB or analog, even in your smartphone, no PC, no headphone amp needed.
I often take Mobius with me in my holidays.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #4,717 of 5,780
Picked up a set of these this week (in Carbon :) ) - really, really impressed as an all round set which ticks so many of my needs (Gaming, HiRes listening via USB and also the convenience of Bluetooth). Using with PS4 and Xbox for gaming and finding using the 3.5mm jack the only option when I want to include voice chat. Don't know if anyone else has this issue, but when hooked up by USB to my PS4 Pro the mic just introduces a huge amount of constant background 'hum'. I've tried it in the Mic Level settings on the PS4 and also by sending a voice message and the hum is really audible.

The only way to dial out the sound is to reduce the gain on the headset and also the mic volume on the PS4 to a level where my voice is not really loud enough. Via the pad the mic is more than decent enough with no noise? Have also tested a Hyper X Orbit and get the same problems. Could this be just my PS4 USB connection (have tried multiple cables) or is it just a negative effect of the Mobius and all the tech contained in the left ear cup causing this hum/ground loop sound?

Any help appreciated - would make this headset perfect to me if I could get rid of this noise.

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #4,719 of 5,780
... Don't know if anyone else has this issue, but when hooked up by USB to my PS4 Pro the mic just introduces a huge amount of constant background 'hum'. I've tried it in the Mic Level settings on the PS4 and also by sending a voice message and the hum is really audible...

...Have also tested a Hyper X Orbit and get the same problems. Could this be just my PS4 USB connection ...

Any help appreciated - would make this headset perfect to me if I could get rid of this noise.
I've seen this with various headphones on various systems.
E.g. I had a comparable problem when connecting Mobius to my iPhone through the powered Apple CCK.

I could trace back the problem to the non-grounded two prong iPhone power supply.

Here's the comprehensive explanation:

Every two prong power supply suffers from this problem.
With only two prongs a device has no ground connection.
Through stray capacitance coupling, a tiny, non dangerous, part of the line supply current creeps into the connected device.
Now this device and everything that it's connected to it carries this 50Hz or 60Hz (EU, or USA, JP) hum signal relative to ground, and relative to your body.

Although the energy of this hum is very low, as it can go nowhere else, the voltage can build up quite high.
This high voltage disturbs Mobius' (and Hyper X Orbit's) electronic.
It can even cause hum if Mobius is switched off, as it's single sided planar magnetic system can behave like an electrostatic driver.

Long story short:
To solve the problem you need a connection to the 3rd power line prong, the safety ground, somewhere in your system.
Connect the PS4 to a TV set, amplifier, desktop computer, or anything with a 3-prong power line connector.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #4,720 of 5,780
Hey guys, so I picked up an Xbox One x today and much to my dismay, my SteelSeries gaming headset doesn’t seem to be working

So is the Mobius the best gaming headset for the Xbox, price no object? I’ve been researching and it sounds like you actually plug them into the Xbox controller with an analog wire, rather than Bluetooth to the xbox or some sort of digital connection. Seems like of half a$sed :frowning2:

I love my LCD-2s and these look like they’d be great LDAC Bluetooth headphones for listening to music and watching movies too

I’d greatly appreciate any advice!

Apr 5, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #4,721 of 5,780
I've seen this with various headphones on various systems.
E.g. I had a comparable problem when connecting Mobius to my iPhone through the powered Apple CCK.

I could trace back the problem to the non-grounded two prong iPhone power supply.

Here's the comprehensive explanation:

Every two prong power supply suffers from this problem.
With only two prongs a device has no ground connection.
Through stray capacitance coupling, a tiny, non dangerous, part of the line supply current creeps into the connected device.
Now this device and everything that it's connected to it carries this 50Hz or 60Hz (EU, or USA, JP) hum signal relative to ground, and relative to your body.

Although the energy of this hum is very low, as it can go nowhere else, the voltage can build up quite high.
This high voltage disturbs Mobius' (and Hyper X Orbit's) electronic.
It can even cause hum if Mobius is switched off, as it's single sided planar magnetic system can behave like an electrostatic driver.

Long story short:
To solve the problem you need a connection to the 3rd power line prong, the safety ground, somewhere in your system.
Connect the PS4 to a TV set, amplifier, desktop computer, or anything with a 3-prong power line connector.

Thanks for the reply. I’m in UK where we already have this.
I’m going to have to unplug everything and one by one start trouble shooting to find the device causing the ground loop.

**Edit - think I may have been a bit stupid in that reply. I'm reading that there is no ground in the PS4 power cable?? In which case, whe you say 'connect to TV/AMP etc are you suggesting literally a wire form the PS4 metal chassis to a the chassis of my AV Receiver for example?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #4,722 of 5,780
Thanks for the reply. I’m in UK where we already have this.
I’m going to have to unplug everything and one by one start trouble shooting to find the device causing the ground loop.

**Edit - think I may have been a bit stupid in that reply. I'm reading that there is no ground in the PS4 power cable?? In which case, whe you say 'connect to TV/AMP etc are you suggesting literally a wire form the PS4 metal chassis to a the chassis of my AV Receiver for example?
You don't have a ground loop.

Ground loop means multiple, too many, ground connections.
Together with the audio interlink between e.g. two power-line-grounded devices a closed loop is built.
As a result magnetically induced ground current is literally circulating through audio interconnects, overlaying the audio with hum.

I your case it's the contrary:

You have no ground connection, your game/headphone system is not ground referenced at all.

A ground wire from a metal part of PS4 to ground would do the job.
But be careful what you do if you go that route -

! DON'T CONNECT THIS WIRE TO LINE VOLTAGE ACCIDENTALLY !

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #4,723 of 5,780
Hey guys, so I picked up an Xbox One x today and much to my dismay, my SteelSeries gaming headset doesn’t seem to be working

So is the Mobius the best gaming headset for the Xbox, price no object? I’ve been researching and it sounds like you actually plug them into the Xbox controller with an analog wire, rather than Bluetooth to the xbox or some sort of digital connection. Seems like of half a$sed :frowning2:

I love my LCD-2s and these look like they’d be great LDAC Bluetooth headphones for listening to music and watching movies too

I’d greatly appreciate any advice!
Theoretically if all you have is a 3.5mm output the highest end efficient Audeze products would be the MX4 and 4Z. Right now they also have the LCD mic on a work from home sale for $49

Apr 5, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #4,724 of 5,780
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #4,725 of 5,780
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back