Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Aug 5, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #4,066 of 5,780
Hmm I don't have any of these problems (had the volume bug you guys are mentioning on the previous firmware). I always leave my headset plugged in, 10ft cord zip tied to it lol. When I turn it on, windows automatically switches to it. It turns off on its own after a while (after about 10 min of no sound) so I don't ever bother turning it off when powering down the PC. I always leave it in 7.1 and 3D. About the only consistent problem I have had since owning (got them in hand Sept 1st 2018) is when I get to looking at one of my other monitors. The headset will eventually drift to that direction after several minutes. Which is only a slight annoyance as I am quite used to just hitting the center button when going back to my middle monitor for gaming. I do wish it would remember to stay in the flat EQ. It is my preferred preset with this latest firmware after all
That's good to hear the upcoming firmware could fix the volume issue. I forgot that the headset will turn itself off after enough time of inactivity; I'll give that a go sometime!

So you have no issues with the battery discharging when you leave it plugged in though? I'm curious why it wouldn't affect certain headsets/computers.

And I agree about the drifting being a bit annoying, hopefully that may be addressed in a future firmware update. My wish is that the headset will eventually remember the last used microphone gain/sensitivity. No idea why it has to default to 44% every time the headset is turned on.

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #4,067 of 5,780
I'll check for certain tomorrow morning about the discharge and give a more definitive answer. As of now. I turn the PC on and hit the power button when pulling the headphones off the hook and they have powered up every time. Now I don't always sit right down but there have been many times I have powered everything up and was going immediately.

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #4,068 of 5,780
As far as the mic goes I honestly couldn't tell ya at this point. I have switched over to a shock mounted Samson G Track Pro. Though the few times I use it. Those times when I know I will be in a long session. Using it for answering phone calls while gaming. I haven't got any complaints from the wife or friends. Back when the Mobius first came out it wasn't good though.

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #4,073 of 5,780
This potentially means the page is being updated with the new version / firmware, maybe a little unlikely though.
We are still waiting on windows certification of an updated driver required for programming Mobius. The Firmware and app is otherwise ready for the upgrade.
Regarding the page being down, 'teething problems' as we just moved to a revamped our site. We are working on fixing it, and it will be up soon.

Aug 6, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #4,075 of 5,780
This is a function of the DSP, LFE is treated as 'effects' channel and is not included in down mixing from 5.1/7.1 to stereo.
It is in 3D on, why not in 3D Off that's what I don't understand, why ONLY remove it from 7.1 3D Off, all other virtual (Creative XFI, Corsair headsets etc) 7.1 systems do render the LFE.
EDIT : This is a handicap because games do detect the headset as 7.1 and use the LFE, basically entirely removing some effects from the game like in warframe using some abilities you will hear nothing in 7.1 3D off but you can hear the effects with 3D on but 3D on sucks with 3 screens.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #4,076 of 5,780
It is in 3D on, why not in 3D Off that's what I don't understand, why ONLY remove it from 7.1 3D Off, all other virtual (Creative XFI, Corsair headsets etc) 7.1 systems do render the LFE.
EDIT : This is a handicap because games do detect the headset as 7.1 and use the LFE, basically entirely removing some effects from the game like in warframe using some abilities you will hear nothing in 7.1 3D off but you can hear the effects with 3D on but 3D on sucks with 3 screens.
IMO there is no reason to use 7.1 mode if you're going to turn 3D off. It just downmixes everything to stereo and you don't gain any extra positional information. You might as well use Stereo or Hi-Res modes and let the application handle the mixing.

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #4,077 of 5,780
IMO there is no reason to use 7.1 mode if you're going to turn 3D off. It just downmixes everything to stereo and you don't gain any extra positional information. You might as well use Stereo or Hi-Res modes and let the application handle the mixing.
It gives a better soundstage, 3D Off + 7.1 is not equal to direct 2.0, you loose a ton of spacing and detail in localisation.
EDIT : Just in case you don't have the Mobius: 3D On/Off in the case of the Mobius only determines if the sound moves with your head, which like I said with 3 screens is horrendous, and because the Mobius headtracking feature has a ton of issues it will never recenter correctly. It has nothing to do with emulating 7.1 channel for better audio positioning.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #4,078 of 5,780
It gives a better soundstage, 3D Off + 7.1 is not equal to direct 2.0, you loose a ton of spacing and detail in localisation.
I don't mean to sound rude but that seems like nonsense. The Mobius doesn't do any processing with 3D off and instead just combines all signals for the left and right speakers into 2 channels, with the center channel being copied to both. The only difference from regular stereo would be the mixing from the application, but it would be much better to use a stereo headphone option within the game if it is provided.

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #4,079 of 5,780
EDIT : Just in case you don't have the Mobius: 3D On/Off in the case of the Mobius only determines if the sound moves with your head, which like I said with 3 screens is horrendous, and because the Mobius headtracking feature has a ton of issues it will never recenter correctly. It has nothing to do with emulating 7.1 channel for better audio positioning.
I don't know about you but my Mobius definitely does not use any kind of room emulation with 3D off. The difference with 3D Manual/Auto/On is absolutely massive and it honestly sounds like crap with 3D off in comparison. The tracking drift with multiple screens is due to some auto recentering present in the Mobius that slowly moves the center point to where you are looking. I occasionally encounter such issues but I don't mind pressing the 3D button to recenter every once in a while.

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #4,080 of 5,780
I don't mean to sound rude but that seems like nonsense. The Mobius doesn't do any processing with 3D off and instead just combines all signals for the left and right speakers into 2 channels, with the center channel being copied to both. The only difference from regular stereo would be the mixing from the application, but it would be much better to use a stereo headphone option within the game if it is provided.
You're not sounding rude, but the v3 firmware at least DOES treat the sound differently in 7.1 3D off and 2.0 even if the source is 2.0. Just try it yourself.
You have the v5, you might not have my issues. I'm on the v3 firmware and it is closer to 3D On without headtracking on the v5
EDIT : V3 only has 3D Manual and Auto, so I'm forced to use the borked headtracking that will completely lose where I'm facing everytime I look on the right/left screen fast and back to the center screen. Just doing this twice will just throw off headtracking and bork my sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back