Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Aug 4, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #4,053 of 5,780
Don’t be so presumptuous about me:

I did a ton of research and watched 10+ YouTube reviews, plus spent hours looking at Audeze website.

Cost me £25 taxi to post office + £28 for parcel distribution with insurance.

Oh and also UK Dealer and Disti not willing to update firmware. I asked them

Amy reason why Audeze can’t create an iOS/Android APP to allow firmware update. Yes - because they don’t want to spend the money to do this.

If you did as much research as you say you did, and still bought them knowing that you couldn't update this on your own, then it sounds to me like you just made a bad decision, regardless of my presumptions. It isn't Audeze's fault that you can't update your firmware. As I mentioned, I'm in the same situation as you are, but I'm not unnecessarily angry about it the way you are.

Aug 5, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #4,055 of 5,780
Aug 5, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #4,056 of 5,780
Don’t be so presumptuous about me:

I did a ton of research and watched 10+ YouTube reviews, plus spent hours looking at Audeze website.

Cost me £25 taxi to post office + £28 for parcel distribution with insurance.

Oh and also UK Dealer and Disti not willing to update firmware. I asked them

Amy reason why Audeze can’t create an iOS/Android APP to allow firmware update. Yes - because they don’t want to spend the money to do this.
Doing a firmware update isn't an easy task and there are some possible hiccups that can brick the device that is updated.
So developing a reliable Mac, iPhone or Android app for this task is beyond capabilities for a small company like AUDEZE I guess.
They choose the most common platform, and that's Windows.
Then Microsoft trapped them by changing something important with the latest update, so a new driver is needed, together with the time consuming signing process.
Kman (AUDEZE) reported this somewhere here.

Don't expect the update to do wonders anyway, there are pros and cons on it, depending on your demands.
I reported somewhere back in this thread.

3D is working in every firmware yet released.

Plus - Mobius is one of the best sounding headphones around, even compared to much more expensive ones.
I am in holidays right now and out of my huge collection of high end 'phones, have two headphones with me: the Mobius and a Hifiman HE1000. I think that says it all.

you could run a Windows VM on your IOS box and do it that way I am sure.

Here are a couple ways to set it up...

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3074236/now-you-can-run-windows-10-on-an-ipad-pro-android.html
The firmware update should, under no circumstances, be run in a virtual machine, that's what the instruction says.

Aug 5, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #4,058 of 5,780
Interesting. I don't own them I just assumed it could be done, seems odd it wouldn't work. Ah well, carry on.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #4,061 of 5,780
When my Audeze Mobius headphones connect... I have to drag the volume slider EVERY TIME in windows in the taskbar....or the volume is too low.

Anyone else?

Yep, nearly every time I turn my mobius on I need to adjust volume (I leave mine on 7.1 if that makes a difference). It's nearly silent, then a +2 increase in windows jumps to the correct volume, then a -2 to get it back where it should be. It happens so frequently I set up a keyboard shortcut to +/- volume just for this...

Aug 5, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #4,062 of 5,780
Yep, nearly every time I turn my mobius on I need to adjust volume (I leave mine on 7.1 if that makes a difference). It's nearly silent, then a +2 increase in windows jumps to the correct volume, then a -2 to get it back where it should be. It happens so frequently I set up a keyboard shortcut to +/- volume just for this...
I've noticed the exact same behavior. The volume starts really, really low even though the volume is at my normal preferred listening levels. Once I adjust the slider up or down 1 or 2 points, and then bring it back to the previous volume, it's back to normal. I will say that this only tends to happen if I leave the Mobius plugged in to my computer after putting everything to sleep. Because of this issue, as well as the battery discharging issue, I always unplug the usb cable from my computer after I'm done using them for that session. As long as I do that, then the volume issue discussed above does not occur.

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #4,063 of 5,780
I've noticed the exact same behavior. The volume starts really, really low even though the volume is at my normal preferred listening levels. Once I adjust the slider up or down 1 or 2 points, and then bring it back to the previous volume, it's back to normal. I will say that this only tends to happen if I leave the Mobius plugged in to my computer after putting everything to sleep. Because of this issue, as well as the battery discharging issue, I always unplug the usb cable from my computer after I'm done using them for that session. As long as I do that, then the volume issue discussed above does not occur.

Yep, it's the same for me. It's a bit unwieldy to use the mobius, which is pretty unfortunate. To use it, I have to plug it in, immediately hold down the power button for 2 seconds (so windows will auto-switch to mobius, otherwise I have to do it manually if I wait to long to turn it on), wait until it's fully initialized, then increase and decrease the volume, and finally center the audio (though I suppose this last point I could ignore if I put it on before plugging it in). Then when done, I have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds (which seems way too long) and unplug it. It's just... cumbersome to use, compared to 'traditional' headphones, which is just "plug in for sound, unplug for no sound." I mean, they still sound awesome though, but using it can be annoying.

I would love to just plug it in once and never have to deal with turning it on/off or unplugging it. When windows starts up, it turns on, when windows turns off, it turns off (or soon after - 3 minutes of no signal?). Hell, even if it didn't auto turn on would be fine if I didn't have to fiddle with the volume/centering each time.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #4,064 of 5,780
Yep, it's the same for me. It's a bit unwieldy to use the mobius, which is pretty unfortunate. To use it, I have to plug it in, immediately hold down the power button for 2 seconds (so windows will auto-switch to mobius, otherwise I have to do it manually if I wait to long to turn it on), wait until it's fully initialized, then increase and decrease the volume, and finally center the audio (though I suppose this last point I could ignore if I put it on before plugging it in). Then when done, I have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds (which seems way too long) and unplug it. It's just... cumbersome to use, compared to 'traditional' headphones, which is just "plug in for sound, unplug for no sound." I mean, they still sound awesome though, but using it can be annoying.

I would love to just plug it in once and never have to deal with turning it on/off or unplugging it. When windows starts up, it turns on, when windows turns off, it turns off (or soon after - 3 minutes of no signal?). Hell, even if it didn't auto turn on would be fine if I didn't have to fiddle with the volume/centering each time.

To each their own, but I really wish you only needed to hold the power button for 1 second to turn off/on

Aug 5, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #4,065 of 5,780
Hmm I don't have any of these problems (had the volume bug you guys are mentioning on the previous firmware). I always leave my headset plugged in, 10ft cord zip tied to it lol. When I turn it on, windows automatically switches to it. It turns off on its own after a while (after about 10 min of no sound) so I don't ever bother turning it off when powering down the PC. I always leave it in 7.1 and 3D. About the only consistent problem I have had since owning (got them in hand Sept 1st 2018) is when I get to looking at one of my other monitors. The headset will eventually drift to that direction after several minutes. Which is only a slight annoyance as I am quite used to just hitting the center button when going back to my middle monitor for gaming. I do wish it would remember to stay in the flat EQ. It is my preferred preset with this latest firmware after all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back