Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Apr 17, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #3,526 of 5,780
Can anyone recommend a good Type-C cable for the Mobius that isn't stiff as a board? Also any good headband wraps for extra comfort. I still haven't found a way to stop the Mobius from hurting the top of my head during extended sessions. This might be because I am bald...
I use a seatbelt pad with an extra piece of high density foam very comfy.
20190215_124845.jpg 20181008_155358.jpg

Apr 18, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #3,529 of 5,780
The Windows 10 Atmos plugin is an official Atmos renderer. If I have a source providing an Atmos bitstream this is rendered properly to get object based sound sources from the proper positions around and above the listener. I have games and Bluray movies which can do that.

Response from Dolby:

"Unfortunately, Dolby Atmos for Headphones does not decode Dolby Atmos Blu-Rays audio tracks at this time. This may be something that will change in future, but at this Dolby Atmos Blu-Rays require a Dolby Atmos enabled soundbar or a/v receiver with a home theater setup to output Dolby Atmos."

You got a reply quicker than I did! I wonder if they forgot about me?

It's good to have confirmation. I tried a couple of games

Forza Horizon 4, most of the other cars are horizontal to you, but there are some big show races with more going on around you. In one you race a plane. in another you drive a halo vehicle with all kinds flying around you, and in those the height positional audio is much more convincing than when I was watching movies.

I tried out Assassin's Creed Origins too, but in the short time I had I couldn't find many places to test sounds from above. But I could hear voices from below. I'll have to play a few missions and see if there is a better suited place to try.

So it does seem that Atmos is upmixing some height information during movies. I tried updating the LAV filters for MPC (installing the latest, then copying the x64 folder contents into MPC's LAV folder) and my initial impressions were that the ones that came with MPC were better with the bird in Dolby's demo. I didn't have long to test but that was my impression before I went out

2nd response from Dolby confirms Windows games and netflix app render atmos information with Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Very strange that Netflix works but a blu ray doesnt.

"Hello, this is only true for BluRays and TrueHD content. Any game, movie, Netflix show, etc. that is labeled "Dolby Atmos" will achieve the spatialization effect including height virtualization with Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Right now BluRays cannot virtualize the heights but there is some additional upmixing for an overall enhanced sound."

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #3,530 of 5,780
2nd response from Dolby confirms Windows games and netflix app render atmos information with Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Very strange that Netflix works but a blu ray doesnt.

"Hello, this is only true for BluRays and TrueHD content. Any game, movie, Netflix show, etc. that is labeled "Dolby Atmos" will achieve the spatialization effect including height virtualization with Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Right now BluRays cannot virtualize the heights but there is some additional upmixing for an overall enhanced sound."
That is an unpleasent surprise. But the games which support Atmos at least sound quite convincing.

Apr 19, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #3,531 of 5,780
That is an unpleasent surprise. But the games which support Atmos at least sound quite convincing.
Well it just means if you're playing a game or watching atmos content on the windows netflix app, give atmos for headphones a try, you may prefer the height information over waves nx with the head tracking. Personally I find waves+ht built into the mobius to be much more externalized and of higher fidelity than the atmos for headphones renderer despite any actual atmos metadata being rendered, what good is it if its in your head anyway. =/ Something like The Encounter atmos demo with that long front left to back right pan sounds like its arcing overhead with waves and ooyh anyway due to the excellent externalization, whereas atmos for headphones, if you could get it to play the atmos track, wouldnt because it all sounds in your head.

Apr 20, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #3,533 of 5,780
I see this headset had some problems while gaming and using discord (microphone sensitivity/ working) has this been resolved? Interested in a pair, but will use mainly for gaming. Microphone a big thing!
Mic issues have been resolved for a while now with firmware updates. IMO it's one of the best mics available on headsets now.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #3,539 of 5,780
In my opinion it was one of the best mics around with the first firmware that included the warm preset. It presented my voice perfectly and people could hear me perfectly fine. But with the latest firmware it is to sensitive it pics up everything unless I gate the hell out of it in discord even then the moment I break the threshold it is picking up every other noise in the room along with my voice. It was in a good place with the first firmware update IMO.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #3,540 of 5,780
In my opinion it was one of the best mics around with the first firmware that included the warm preset. It presented my voice perfectly and people could hear me perfectly fine. But with the latest firmware it is to sensitive it pics up everything unless I gate the hell out of it in discord even then the moment I break the threshold it is picking up every other noise in the room along with my voice. It was in a good place with the first firmware update IMO.
AFAIK there has only been one firmware update (at least for public release), are you talking about one of the beta firmwares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back