Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Apr 3, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #3,331 of 5,780
I also ordered new pads:
just seconding opinion of it that was posted here.

Isolation and seal is much better. They also create an almost vacuum seal for me.
They are indeed stiffer but still very comfortable and eventually conform to the shape of your head.
I didn't notice major sound changes but i didn't a/b back and forth to compare.
They aren't any more breathable than stock pads obviously but they feel cooler on my head.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #3,333 of 5,780
Apr 4, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #3,334 of 5,780
Apr 4, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #3,335 of 5,780
The game outputs an atmos bitstream like for a home theater system, and then you use the windows built in dolby atmos for headphones?
The Atmos plugin takes that bitstream and creates the needed 2channel stream out of it needed for headphones. The Mobius set to stereo then outputs the Atmos HRTF to its internal amps and in the end via the drivers to your ears. But you can also use the processing of the Mobius to create the HRTF for you. I prefer to use the "native" Doly Atmos processing over the Mobius's own processing.

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #3,336 of 5,780
The Atmos plugin takes that bitstream and creates the needed 2channel stream out of it needed for headphones. The Mobius set to stereo then outputs the Atmos HRTF to its internal amps and in the end via the drivers to your ears. But you can also use the processing of the Mobius to create the HRTF for you. I prefer to use the "native" Doly Atmos processing over the Mobius's own processing.

What I've been wondering about with this, is if the games or say netflix on windows is outputting an actual atmos bitstream to the atmos for headphones renderer and if the renderer has a builtin atmos decoder and actually renders height channels. I don't know how to confirm it though.

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #3,337 of 5,780
so far ive only had the 3d on with music where its definitely interesting especially with tunes that use (what id call) a wide variety of instruments/samples like Hugo Kant's Point of no Return for example, i also accidentally left it on when firing up overwatch last night and immediately panicked as i was only getting sound from the left until i realized what was happening and flipped it off. hopefully today i plan to do a bit of comparative listening over bluetooth, usb-c and 3.5mm both direct from my phone (a sony XZ1 and via my HRT Microstreamer)

i now starting to think its possibly time for a new portable player too as i had to sell my XDP-300R last year but that may wait for another trip to tokyo as prices are bonkers cheap there (i bought said XDP-300R A grade used in box for a shade over £100! only a few weeks earlier a friend paid £400 for a DP-X1) although as i mostly use them via bluetooth im wondering if it will actually be worthwhile

As for the gel earpads anyone know where we can get them in the UK? not that these are uncomfortable but if theres upgrades to be had im all n

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #3,338 of 5,780

What I've been wondering about with this, is if the games or say netflix on windows is outputting an actual atmos bitstream to the atmos for headphones renderer and if the renderer has a builtin atmos decoder and actually renders height channels. I don't know how to confirm it though.
AFAIK only "official" apps like Netflix & Edge can decode EAC3 Atmos tracks and pass objects to the Atmos for Headphones renderer. All other applications will only pass the 7.1-channel bed as there simply is no other Atmos decoder on PC at this point. Games that use the spatial sound API can pass objects.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #3,339 of 5,780
As for the gel earpads anyone know where we can get them in the UK? not that these are uncomfortable but if theres upgrades to be had im all in

I'm interested in these pads too but also from the UK so they aren't available here yet. You can order them from the Audeze site but it wouldn't advise it..

Pads :$39.00 - FedEx International: $59.27 - Order total: $98.27

Yeah... I won't be doing that.

There is a Reddit post saying that "Brainwavz Hybrid Memory Foam Earpad" fit the Mobius. Link

You can get these from AmazonUK but aren't a perfect fit and obviously don't have the Gel.

I am curious. Are folks enabling the 3D option while listening to music only?

I have been using the 3D for Games and general use, like youtube and movie watching, but I switch to HIRes for Music listening.. I have just had mine a few days so i haven't had much time to experiment with them.

I think I will switch to disabling 3D and using HighRes or Stereo for Tv / Movies from here on though as almost all I watch is in Stereo and the head tracking is a little "weird" to use with just Stereo input. Mine seems to move the sound when I turn my head, so If I set centre, then move left or right and the sound will slowly move to where my head is at after a few seconds which is not where the screen is anymore, as if it's moving centre with my head movements. It just feels weird.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #3,340 of 5,780
so far ive only had the 3d on with music where its definitely interesting especially with tunes that use (what id call) a wide variety of instruments/samples like Hugo Kant's Point of no Return for example, i also accidentally left it on when firing up overwatch last night and immediately panicked as i was only getting sound from the left until i realized what was happening and flipped it off. hopefully today i plan to do a bit of comparative listening over bluetooth, usb-c and 3.5mm both direct from my phone (a sony XZ1 and via my HRT Microstreamer)

i now starting to think its possibly time for a new portable player too as i had to sell my XDP-300R last year but that may wait for another trip to tokyo as prices are bonkers cheap there (i bought said XDP-300R A grade used in box for a shade over £100! only a few weeks earlier a friend paid £400 for a DP-X1) although as i mostly use them via bluetooth im wondering if it will actually be worthwhile

As for the gel earpads anyone know where we can get them in the UK? not that these are uncomfortable but if theres upgrades to be had im all n

Really don't know the use of a dap when ldac is available . Lol .

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #3,343 of 5,780
The Mobius is converting to digital again, and it sends the information through the dsp regardless of input if I understood correctly.
So I question the use of dap or amp with minijack into the Mobius.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #3,344 of 5,780
The Mobius is converting to digital again, and it sends the information through the dsp regardless of input if I understood correctly.
So I question the use of dap or amp with minijack into the Mobius.

Shame I thought the 3.5 would bypass the dsp, oh well saves me money on a dap I can just use my phone, it still sounds fantastic

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #3,345 of 5,780

Users who are viewing this thread

Back