Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jan 29, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #2,851 of 5,780
We have just updated the Audeze HQ app, this version has better (human readable error reporting) and also a recovery option if your Mobius morphs into 'Realtek USB 2.0 Headphone' and you are not able to proceed with update.
@scarfacegt -- Did support try to find if DFU driver was installed on your PC?

Should we uninstall the previous versions or is it OK to just install the new version on top?

Jan 29, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #2,853 of 5,780
Hey everybody! I'm a long-term lurker on this thread (I was an Indiegogo backer), and I just wanted to let everyone know something weird that happened to my Mobius. I went through Audeze's support email (awesome help!), but they ended up needing to RMA my headset. I'll post what I sent them.

Basically, I woke up one day and there was no audio coming from any source, or from the built in voice that says “power on” or “7.1 channel”. I had been using firmware beta v3 for several weeks, and it had been working fantastic. I started work that day and turned on my Mobius, but, alas, no audio. I opened up the Audeze HQ app on both a Windows and Mac computer, but the app ddd not detect the Mobius as connected. The light on the Mobius responded as if it was working however. It showed the charge light and also the bluetooth connected light. I could hear the slight hiss of the amp while the headset was “on’. The Mobius even responded to button presses, ie the computers both show the Mobius switch audio modes. However, the audio modes no longer showed the updated naming conventions, so the surround sound mode showed up as 8-channel, rather than 7.1. Each connection I tried also responded to the volume scroller, so on Mac the volume changed on OS when I changed volume with the Mobius. However, no audio and no voice prompt can be heard through all the above steps.

The ONLY thing that happened was I updated my macOS to the latest version overnight and left my Mobius plugged in. I have NO idea if this just happened to line up with my headset dying on me, but I thought it might be worth warning everyone that perhaps leaving your Mobius plugged into a Mac while it updates MIGHT mess up its firmware.

Aside from this hiccup, I love the Mobius and these couple weeks without it have really been hard to adjust to haha. Also, Audeze has been extremely quick to get my issue sorted, so high marks for their service!

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #2,855 of 5,780
Somewhat off topic....

I've had a crap night. Someone at work has ****ed me around with the result that I'm going to be about 400 pounds ($525) in the hole just because they're....who they are. I'll be covering their shortcomings. So I'm pretty pissed off at the world. Hence the profanity.

Two things have given me a proper break from this mood. Both audio gear. The first one I'll be reviewing later.
The second one is the Mobius. Sitting here, watching some nonsense TV with a well mixed surround soundtrack through the Mobius and it just makes me happy. There's a joy to good audio if that's where your interests lie, and there's a pleasure in a well-judged purchase (especially these days) which you know is just going to give you many hours of pleasure.
Screw the naysayers - the Mobius is just a killer bit of gear. Full bodied without being bloated, tons of detail without being sharp, spatial cues that you just can't find elsewhere.
So glad I jumped at the chance to get these. Worth every penny.

PS. Apologies for the profanity, I have nowhere else to vent. If this post gets censored or removed I will not be concerned.
PPS. Auto-censoring - good idea!!!

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #2,856 of 5,780
Somewhat off topic....

I've had a **** night. Someone at work has ****ed me around with the result that I'm going to be about 400 pounds ($525) in the hole just because they're....who they are. I'll be covering their shortcomings. So I'm pretty pissed off at the world. Hence the profanity.

Two things have given me a proper break from this mood. Both audio gear. The first one I'll be reviewing later.
The second one is the Mobius. Sitting here, watching some nonsense TV with a well mixed surround soundtrack through the Mobius and it just makes me happy. There's a joy to good audio if that's where your interests lie, and there's a pleasure in a well-judged purchase (especially these days) which you know is just going to give you many hours of pleasure.
Screw the naysayers - the Mobius is just a killer bit of gear. Full bodied without being bloated, tons of detail without being sharp, spatial cues that you just can't find elsewhere.
So glad I jumped at the chance to get these. Worth every penny.

PS. Apologies for the profanity, I have nowhere else to vent. If this post gets censored or removed I will not be concerned.
PPS. Auto-censoring - good idea!!!

Just listen to “smack my bitch up” by the prodigy. That will release some stress.

Feb 1, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #2,857 of 5,780
Hey everybody! I'm a long-term lurker on this thread (I was an Indiegogo backer), and I just wanted to let everyone know something weird that happened to my Mobius. I went through Audeze's support email (awesome help!), but they ended up needing to RMA my headset. I'll post what I sent them.

Basically, I woke up one day and there was no audio coming from any source, or from the built in voice that says “power on” or “7.1 channel”. I had been using firmware beta v3 for several weeks, and it had been working fantastic. I started work that day and turned on my Mobius, but, alas, no audio. I opened up the Audeze HQ app on both a Windows and Mac computer, but the app ddd not detect the Mobius as connected. The light on the Mobius responded as if it was working however. It showed the charge light and also the bluetooth connected light. I could hear the slight hiss of the amp while the headset was “on’. The Mobius even responded to button presses, ie the computers both show the Mobius switch audio modes. However, the audio modes no longer showed the updated naming conventions, so the surround sound mode showed up as 8-channel, rather than 7.1. Each connection I tried also responded to the volume scroller, so on Mac the volume changed on OS when I changed volume with the Mobius. However, no audio and no voice prompt can be heard through all the above steps.

The ONLY thing that happened was I updated my macOS to the latest version overnight and left my Mobius plugged in. I have NO idea if this just happened to line up with my headset dying on me, but I thought it might be worth warning everyone that perhaps leaving your Mobius plugged into a Mac while it updates MIGHT mess up its firmware.

Aside from this hiccup, I love the Mobius and these couple weeks without it have really been hard to adjust to haha. Also, Audeze has been extremely quick to get my issue sorted, so high marks for their service!
You should unplug your Mobius from the PC. This happened to me also even with my PC on all the time. The USB port will drain your battery and several have indicated that issue in this forum.

Feb 1, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #2,858 of 5,780
You should unplug your Mobius from the PC. This happened to me also even with my PC on all the time. The USB port will drain your battery and several have indicated that issue in this forum.

Even having an active Bluetooth connection without playing anything would drain the battery.

Thus, just switch off if not using it .

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #2,859 of 5,780

Hmm I might've missed something in the forum (I searched a few keywords) but I actually didn't see anyone mention their Mobius literally being BRICKED. I'm not sure if my post was confusing, but the gist of it was my Mobius BROKE and the only thing different from my usual routine with them is my Mac updated while they were plugged in. My Mobius was NOT dead (it wasn't, as you indicated, them discharging from the USB connection), they were just bricked. Support had me do a hard reset, then send them in, and they ended up sending me a brand new pair rather than repair the old one. From what I have seen on this forum, no one has talked about a bricked Mobius, and if they have, I'm sorry. Others might have missed it like me, and I know personally I would want to know if there is anything that might break my headset.

Feb 1, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #2,860 of 5,780
Even having an active Bluetooth connection without playing anything would drain the battery.

Thus, just switch off if not using it .
We are working on improvements for this in future firmware releases. once the feature is stable, we will push it out to everyone. Instead of just looking for active connections, the new firmware will look for audio coming in. After 10 to 15 minutes of no audio, it will put the Mobius in power saving mode automatically.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 2, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #2,862 of 5,780
We are working on improvements for this in future firmware releases. once the feature is stable, we will push it out to everyone. Instead of just looking for active connections, the new firmware will look for audio coming in. After 10 to 15 minutes of no audio, it will put the Mobius in power saving mode automatically.
I'm encountering a bug when I play Forza Horizon 4 and the Anthem demo. Some reason the volume decreases and I lose control of the volume through the volume wheel on my headset. They are the only 2 games where this has happened to me

Edit: I have firmware V3. It also happened on previous firmwares

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #2,864 of 5,780
I'm encountering a bug when I play Forza Horizon 4 and the Anthem demo. Some reason the volume decreases and I lose control of the volume through the volume wheel on my headset. They are the only 2 games where this has happened to me

Edit: I have firmware V3. It also happened on previous firmwares
The volume on the headphone is connected to the system volume. If you adjust the system volume does the Mobius volume change ? Are there any virtual soundcards in the system ?

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 3, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #2,865 of 5,780
@Audeze , any chance the firmware update would be released for either android or linux please? most likely, the backend is in linux compiled into windows/mac.
Very unlikely. We need the chipset drivers to support a particular platform and unfortunately, we do not have support for the firmware upgrade on other platforms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back