Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Dec 22, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #2,506 of 5,780
So the Mobius continues to delight.....

Part of any trip to the UK is watching TV on my aging Shield tablet. No LDAC support as I have on the phone, but with the relative drop in quality, the Mobius can do its 2 channel 3D thing. Um... Wow, again. It does an amazing job. Sound quality is certainly good enough for TV but the 3D really works. On top of that, the drivers give such a good translation of the sound that I get height as well as depth.

I honestly did not expect to get so much use out of these, nor did I imagine I would be so impressed. Really very glad I bought them.

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #2,508 of 5,780
Guys what exactly room emulation do? I set to maximum in the app, it feels like a natural soundstage very very very extended for a closed headphone.. And what about the simmetry of our head on the app? I should measure it? If you know what change in those setting of head simmetry i'm glad to ear :)

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #2,509 of 5,780
Guys what exactly room emulation do? I set to maximum in the app, it feels like a natural soundstage very very very extended for a closed headphone.. And what about the simmetry of our head on the app? I should measure it? If you know what change in those setting of head simmetry i'm glad to ear :)

Room emulation is a first reflection algorithm. A first reflection is the first sound our ears hear after the sound emanating directly from the loudspeaker. I personally set it to 35-40.

The head measurements are variables in the 3d audio spatialization. You should absolutely measure them.

Dec 22, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #2,510 of 5,780
I took the Mobius with me on my first trip since getting them in September. Gotta say, there was a slight sense of maybe selling them if I wasn’t totally happy, but they sound pretty great even with the Cayin N3, which doesn’t have LDAC. Though the N3’s Bluetooth performance as a transmitter is odd.

Dec 22, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #2,511 of 5,780

For movies and games and such wider is good, but for me for music, I set room reflections to somewhere closer to to 30 percent for a cleaner sound, besides clarity there's noticeable tightening up of phase artifacts and I kind of micro dial it in until it sounds just right. With lossless music and 3d, I definitely notice an improvement using USB over LDAC. You definitely want to measure your head and adjust the HTRF and head circumference. It improves the head-tracking realism. Micro dial in the room reflections after as all these setting contribute to the possibility of a subtle sense of phase being right or very slightly off. When you add up all these subtle improvements together it all adds up to a big difference in getting a really good speaker simulation with excellent fidelity.

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #2,512 of 5,780
My Impressions:
I'm not sure what to say about these headphones.

Introduction:
I have spent the last three years using the SoundblasterX G5 external soundcard, and it has the best virtual 7.1 surround sound I've ever heard. I have hated all iterations of "virtual surround" from previous products. I hated the Tritton (two models, forget the models), Mad Catz, Siberia, Razer and many Soundblaster fake surround options I have come across. The most "acceptable" audio was from my Sennheiser PC363D and its attachable USB dongle. However, that dongle pooped out and stopped working after a year of medium-level use. Sennheiser wouldn't replace the dongle unless the entire headphone set was sent back. So, I sent it all back, and got another replacement headphone AND dongle. With that said, the dongle stopped working again, which made me choose the G5 back in 2015.
If there was any other contender for quality surround sound headphones, I would mention the Logitech G930... but it pales in comparison to the SBX G5 (or the PC363D with dongle).

What's great about the G5 is that it has high output. You can switch on more gain, and it powers even the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs, and the HD650, and any 300 ohm dynamic headphones. Far and away my favorite headphones with the G5 is the HD650. However, more sound stage and separation works with the AKG K701/Q702, but less bass and slightly harsh highs. With the Alpha Dogs, it has more precise clarity with mids to highs, but I think they're a little too bright for my tastes while playing games.

I mention all of this because I wonder if other people who have reviewed the Mobius have experienced the luxury of non-gamer headphones with an outstanding performer like the SoundblasterX G5. It's a wonderful match, and it's great to be able to use audiophile headphones with gaming.
The Sennheiser PC363D are the best headphones I've heard that were designed/intended for gaming. They even work great just as headphones for music listening. The Sennheiser PC363D is no longer available, and have been replaced by PC373D, as well as the "GSP" series. I have no clue if they're good or not.

So, switch to the Mobius and my feelings are:
1. They're great when compared to other gaming headphones
When it comes to headphones that are made for the video game playing market, these are the best (or second best after) I've ever used. It is well worth the $400 price tag. With that, you're going to get excellent binaural surround, and an impactful, well rounded headphone that will present an immersive gaming experience.

2. Head tracking is neat, but pointless
Even thought it's nice to have the sound remain in place when you move your head, I realize now just how infrequently I move my head while gaming. So this gimmick doesn't mean much to me. Sure, it's "cool", but it didn't impress me as much as I was expecting.

3. Shoddy construction is an enthusiasm sapper
They fit rather tightly across the head. The pads are not as pleasant over my ears as other (any I've tried, at least) headphones that cost $400.
The squeaky plastic parts and unpleasantly tight fit, combined with average pads makes me compare the sturdiness and quality that comes from, say, the ATH-M50x. Or like, any other run-of-the-mill $50-$100 headphones.
I know a lot of the cost is due to R&D, and there is a lot to like about the Mobius outside of "just playing games". So, I'll let the squeaky squishiness slide. Sort of.

4. Excellent gaming headphones for gamers that only used gaming headphones to game
I have been spoiled by high end cans for gaming, in conjunction with the G5. If someone hasn't experienced this before, then they are going to be more appreciative of what the Mobius has to offer.

I won't say they are "bad" headphones at all. For me, one of the big drawbacks is that I can't use the audio settings for other headphones. This sucks, because the audio processing combined with better headphones would blow me away.
Outside of the Sennheiser PC363D, there is no comparison to the Mobius for gaming.

However, if you have good headphones, I still think the SoundblasterX G5 along with headphones of your choice is just as good - well, better than - what you would get from the Mobius. With that said, I paid about $200 for the PC363D, and the Mobius has unique audio options/design, AND Bluetooth (with LDAP!!), AND planar drivers, AND its Audeze, for $400. Put that into perspective, and I can't say they are bad by any means.

Conclusion:
My wind in the sails of my enthusiasm for the Mobius has been dwindled due to my being so spoiled by using non-gamer open back headphones for years. The gains/benefits of the Mobius don't apply to me as easily as it will to others.
I absolutely recommend them, because as stated before, they are a wonderful multi-functional headphone that provides a lot at its given price point.

For music listening, they are good. Even "very good", but I have so many headphones now that it would just kind of fall into the middle of the pack. However, the Bluetooth option might be helpful for when I go on vacation. If I decide the headphones would be worth carrying (I usually have an Astell&Kern AK120 with Campfire Audio Andromeda on vacation), maybe I will use them. Probably not, though haha

But I still find myself preferring to use the Senny HD58X I have now with the G5 instead of my new, shiny Mobius.
*sigh*

The sound quality is good compared to more expensive headphones. The build isn't shoddy. It's really solid for a plastic build. Very solid. The head-tracking isn't at all pointless. It's a completely different presentation than a conventional headphone and is a key difference maker IMO. Some of it will always boil down to preference, but personally I'll take the Mobius over the Sennheiser5xx or 6xx sound any day of the week. Without 3d and headtracking on, I get preferring the open back sound-stage. I've always preferred good speakers to good headphones though. Some people have done most of their breaking in to quality sound over headphones, and want headphones to sound like (open-back) headphones. With 3d and head-tracking off, the Mobius has a pretty narrow closed back soundstage, although iyt does have good imaging. Especially in Hi-Res mode with high quality files.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #2,514 of 5,780
The sound quality is good compared to more expensive headphones. The build isn't shoddy. It's really solid for a plastic build. Very solid. The head-tracking isn't at all pointless. It's a completely different presentation than a conventional headphone and is a key difference maker IMO. Some of it will always boil down to preference, but personally I'll take the Mobius over the Sennheiser5xx or 6xx sound any day of the week. Without 3d and headtracking on, I get preferring the open back sound-stage. I've always preferred good speakers to good headphones though. Some people have done most of their breaking in to quality sound over headphones, and want headphones to sound like (open-back) headphones. With 3d and head-tracking off, the Mobius has a pretty narrow closed back soundstage, although iyt does have good imaging. Especially in Hi-Res mode with high quality files.

I think I can phrase the issue better, that I think they were really starting to get at. The biggest problem with them is they are good but they try to play in so many areas that they aren’t great.

Wired i like my t60 with vmoda mic, or mezes (both cheaper).

Wireless the smaller battery and other issues make it at best 2nd tier for way too much.

Granted I find the 3D and head tracking worthless for me so ymmv

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #2,515 of 5,780
Is it possible to always keep them on Hi Res mode even after turning on/off? I game with the mostly, and directional audio is very important to me.

Also, after turning them on for the first time via USB the sound is garbled. Reconnecting the USB fixes the issue. Are firmware updates publicly available? I love these cans!!!!

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #2,516 of 5,780
My biggest beef with the Mobius is it doesn’t remember your settings once you turn it back on. The interface is clunky enough as it is, but also having to engage with all those buttons and knobs every time I turn it on, is an unnecessary barrier between me and enjoying my music, movie or game. No idea if that’s a hardware or software issue, but at the very least, any major revision of the Mobius “platform” should include these UX/quality of life enhancements. IMHO.

Otherwise, this is one awesome headset! Sounds great, very comfortable. A bit big for travel, but still worth it for longer sessions, like those flights.

Dec 24, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #2,518 of 5,780
Is it possible to always keep them on Hi Res mode even after turning on/off? I game with the mostly, and directional audio is very important to me.

Also, after turning them on for the first time via USB the sound is garbled. Reconnecting the USB fixes the issue. Are firmware updates publicly available? I love these cans!!!!

My biggest beef with the Mobius is it doesn’t remember your settings once you turn it back on. The interface is clunky enough as it is, but also having to engage with all those buttons and knobs every time I turn it on, is an unnecessary barrier between me and enjoying my music, movie or game. No idea if that’s a hardware or software issue, but at the very least, any major revision of the Mobius “platform” should include these UX/quality of life enhancements. IMHO.

Otherwise, this is one awesome headset! Sounds great, very comfortable. A bit big for travel, but still worth it for longer sessions, like those flights.

Yes the upcoming firmware remembers mode/eq on power cycle.

You said you use them in high res but directional audio is very important, isn't that a contradiction? No 3d in high res mode.

Dec 24, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #2,519 of 5,780

Totally agree.

Hoping the software update can streamline the current setup process.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back